Illinois High School Football Thread

5 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Loyola will crush Rice and every other opponent until they face MC and then the 8A playoffs will be interesting as they and LWE are really really good.

Rice and Rita were going to be a little worse than normal this year and they are. 

Thanx for the insight. Loyola and MC must have the recruiting game down pat. They seem to be outrageously good every year. Rice under Badke seemed to be right there with them of late. Hope coach Q will keep the recent tradition going. Am I overplaying the recruiting angle in my mind? It's kind of stuck in there.

12 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Loyola will crush Rice and every other opponent until they face MC and then the 8A playoffs will be interesting as they and LWE are really really good.

Rice and Rita were going to be a little worse than normal this year and they are. 

MC has outscored their three opponents by a total score of 121-3. That includes ranked teams Notre Dame and St Rita. They are a force to be reckoned with.

On 9/12/2022 at 8:25 PM, KrankinSox said:

MC has outscored their three opponents by a total score of 121-3. That includes ranked teams Notre Dame and St Rita. They are a force to be reckoned with.

Rita had no business being ranked nor ND but they are really good.  MC and Loyola will be better than any state championship game. 

• Like 1

The year is 2050.  

There are 27 divisions in IHSA Football.  One for each old private school.  All public schools are either AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA or higher.  For the first time in history a winless team gets the 1 seed in 7A. 

Some Catholic schools are rostering only 10 players and claiming they only have 10 kids in school in an effort to force IHSA to start another class for schools with 10 or less students.  

IHSA finally limits the amount of reclassed kids you can roster to 12.  For the first time in history a 24 year old reclassed father throws a touchdown pass to his 10 year old son who immediately commits to an SEC school.  

On 9/12/2022 at 8:20 AM, Harry Chappas said:

LWE has to be the favorite. They’re so good this year

On 9/14/2022 at 1:02 PM, Harry Chappas said:

Rita had no business being ranked nor ND but they are really good.  MC and Loyola will be better than any state championship game. 

How bad is Rice gonna lose to Loyola, MC and Marist? Badly? Like blowout bad? Don't think our alums who must have liked the Badke era will be pleased with new coach's results. Blowouts have been a thing of the past for the most part the past 5 or more years.

On 9/22/2022 at 11:47 PM, greg775 said:

How bad is Rice gonna lose to Loyola, MC and Marist? Badly? Like blowout bad? Don't think our alums who must have liked the Badke era will be pleased with new coach's results. Blowouts have been a thing of the past for the most part the past 5 or more years.

Go look at Brian's 2018 season.  He did no favors with handling last year's team for this year.

LA beat them as will MC but if they make the playoffs that will be fine.  Brian goes 3-6 with this team.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Harry any way our boys can beat Jacobs? I've never ever heard of Jacobs. Never.

I watched several Rice games on the internet again this year. The second half of the Marist game was weird. Rice got flattened after leading earlier in the game.

I fear this is a new era coming: mediocrity to lousiness. I am skeptical the veteran hoops coach will keep going what Bobby Frasor started. Seems like a weird hire. Is coach Q beloved at Rice or ? 

I will say the football team had some good moments this year (we played either loyola or carmel close as I recall) but overall I feel the Crusaders lacked special talent. BR baby! 

14 hours ago, greg775 said:

Hey Harry any way our boys can beat Jacobs? I've never ever heard of Jacobs. Never.

I watched several Rice games on the internet again this year. The second half of the Marist game was weird. Rice got flattened after leading earlier in the game.

I fear this is a new era coming: mediocrity to lousiness. I am skeptical the veteran hoops coach will keep going what Bobby Frasor started. Seems like a weird hire. Is coach Q beloved at Rice or ? 

I will say the football team had some good moments this year (we played either loyola or carmel close as I recall) but overall I feel the Crusaders lacked special talent. BR baby! 

Their frosh and soph teams went 16-2 this year

This current varsity class is about what was expected. 

Not sure what to expect from Jacobs 

40 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Their frosh and soph teams went 16-2 this year

This current varsity class is about what was expected. 

Not sure what to expect from Jacobs 

Nice on the 16-2. Any special talent in those groups? 

On 10/24/2022 at 7:19 PM, greg775 said:

Marist is about to dwarf everyone with the money they're putting everywhere. I hope Rice isn't in trouble.

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Marist is about to dwarf everyone with the money they're putting everywhere. I hope Rice isn't in trouble.

It takes forward thinking. I suggest we formally merge with McAuley. It's time. Campuses are pretty close to each other. Some computer genius could figure a way to have kids attend 3/4 of their daily classes at one of the schools. Won't hurt kids to make the relatively long walk once a day from Rice's building to McAuley's.

Once we formally merge schools, go on the recruiting trail. Get the enrollment as high as humanly possible. Just call the school Rice. Take out the word brother. I'm pretty sure the order of Irish Christian Brothers is about extinct. There were only 900 brothers world wide in 2017. There are some incredible schools in suburbia. Make the new Rice HS state of the art in all areas, have it be the No. 1 college prep school in the Midwest.

Think big. If Marist is expanding, Rice must answer. I'd think a majority of the southsiders would rather go to a coed school than all boys or all girls thus Marist has an advantage.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

It takes forward thinking. I suggest we formally merge with McAuley. It's time. Campuses are pretty close to each other. Some computer genius could figure a way to have kids attend 3/4 of their daily classes at one of the schools. Won't hurt kids to make the relatively long walk once a day from Rice's building to McAuley's.

Once we formally merge schools, go on the recruiting trail. Get the enrollment as high as humanly possible. Just call the school Rice. Take out the word brother. I'm pretty sure the order of Irish Christian Brothers is about extinct. There were only 900 brothers world wide in 2017. There are some incredible schools in suburbia. Make the new Rice HS state of the art in all areas, have it be the No. 1 college prep school in the Midwest.

Think big. If Marist is expanding, Rice must answer. I'd think a majority of the southsiders would rather go to a coed school than all boys or all girls thus Marist has an advantage.

McCauley has an advantage because I believe they're the only all girls school around. They're number 1 in volleyball for example, which would be the biggest girls sport. They don't have incentive to merge with Rice but I'm sure Rice would love too.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood
  • Like 1

Harry, as u know we beat Jacobs 28-0. We can beat Collinsville! If BR can beat Collinsville then beat Carmel I will be an ecstatic coach Q fan. Please tell me he played a lot of the younger kids tonight and that's why Rice excelled. Is he splashing more sophs into the lineup? Go BR.

On 10/28/2022 at 10:38 PM, greg775 said:

Harry, as u know we beat Jacobs 28-0. We can beat Collinsville! If BR can beat Collinsville then beat Carmel I will be an ecstatic coach Q fan. Please tell me he played a lot of the younger kids tonight and that's why Rice excelled. Is he splashing more sophs into the lineup? Go BR.

I don't that much about them greg.  I think they were yougn and experienced to begin with and have heard they are getting better each week. 

On 11/2/2022 at 11:59 AM, Harry Chappas said:

I don't that much about them greg.  I think they were yougn and experienced to begin with and have heard they are getting better each week. 

I watched the Collinsville game. For a second round playoff game, I credit Br Rice for total domination. I don't think I've ever seen BR dominate like that against a good opponent. I'm thinking coach Q knows the team's strengths and weaknesses and right now has simplified things to let the guys do what they do best. Rice's starting QB got hurt and they put in the guy who started the season and he was great. RBs of Rice dominated and the defense was fine, too.

If they relax and play like that, mabe they can give Mt. Carmel a game in the quarters. Regardless that Collinsville game made it a successful season if indeed they are young with a lot of guys back.

Congrats to that team for a near flawless game vs. Collinsville.

14 hours ago, greg775 said:

I watched the Collinsville game. For a second round playoff game, I credit Br Rice for total domination. I don't think I've ever seen BR dominate like that against a good opponent. I'm thinking coach Q knows the team's strengths and weaknesses and right now has simplified things to let the guys do what they do best. Rice's starting QB got hurt and they put in the guy who started the season and he was great. RBs of Rice dominated and the defense was fine, too.

If they relax and play like that, mabe they can give Mt. Carmel a game in the quarters. Regardless that Collinsville game made it a successful season if indeed they are young with a lot of guys back.

Congrats to that team for a near flawless game vs. Collinsville.

The inexperience isn't an excuse anymore but I think MC is too much for them at their placement. 

3 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

The inexperience isn't an excuse anymore but I think MC is too much for them at their placement. 

Rats. I hope Q and the guys treat this as the Prep Bowl final or the state title game. Carmel is too dominant. I thought I read Rice has a defensive lineman going to Wisky and the RB is an NIU recruit.,. We have some talent. The guys would have to have a repeat of the Collinsville game. ... Is the game Saturday? Sounds funny but it must be tough for these high school teams to get to games on Friday's with rush hour. When I went to BR I ran cross country and most of the meets were on Saturdays.

27 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Rats. I hope Q and the guys treat this as the Prep Bowl final or the state title game. Carmel is too dominant. I thought I read Rice has a defensive lineman going to Wisky and the RB is an NIU recruit.,. We have some talent. The guys would have to have a repeat of the Collinsville game. ... Is the game Saturday? Sounds funny but it must be tough for these high school teams to get to games on Friday's with rush hour. When I went to BR I ran cross country and most of the meets were on Saturdays.

6 Saturday 

I think BR is good but MC is really deep. 

• 9 months later...

Hey Harry, Rice opened with a 10-7 win over Maine South. Maine South is supposed to be pretty good I think.

What do you think of BR team this year? Has coach Q become a true Catholic League coach realizing you need defense to somehow slow Loyola and Mt. Carmel?

Does Rice have a good QB and receivers? Are they seniors? Why is Rice opening with four road games? please fill me in. I tried to watch the game on maine south youtube and the broadcast failed. What's the story on Rice? Why do you think they abandoned scheduling a total patsy in week one? And will BR beat Marist?

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 3:51 PM, greg775 said:

Hey Harry, Rice opened with a 10-7 win over Maine South. Maine South is supposed to be pretty good I think.

What do you think of BR team this year? Has coach Q become a true Catholic League coach realizing you need defense to somehow slow Loyola and Mt. Carmel?

Does Rice have a good QB and receivers? Are they seniors? Why is Rice opening with four road games? please fill me in. I tried to watch the game on maine south youtube and the broadcast failed. What's the story on Rice? Why do you think they abandoned scheduling a total patsy in week one? And will BR beat Marist?

Everyone tries to schedule patsy.  You need two to tango.  I think Rice's new AD and HC don't have the connections at programs to come to an agreement. 

The conference schedule controls week 3-9 and home and away.  Next year if Maine South and Marist are two year agreements.  They could have 4 straight at home.  Depends on how things play out.

BR is a nice team but other then the JR LB I don't think they have real major talent but are a solid club.

6 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Everyone tries to schedule patsy.  You need two to tango.  I think Rice's new AD and HC don't have the connections at programs to come to an agreement. 

The conference schedule controls week 3-9 and home and away.  Next year if Maine South and Marist are two year agreements.  They could have 4 straight at home.  Depends on how things play out.

BR is a nice team but other then the JR LB I don't think they have real major talent but are a solid club.

Thanks. I would think without major talent they're in trouble vs. Marist. BR might get clubbed pretty good by Marist which has way more students than BR I see. Hard to believe it costs 14,000 to attend BR now. I was checking tuition. If those Mt. Greenwood families are still having 3-4 kids, wow it'd cost a ton to put say two boys thru Rice at the same time. And there aren't many other options around there for decent public schools. Going to Evergreen Park h.s, seems not so good. And Morgan park, forget it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2023 at 3:09 PM, Buehrle>Wood said:

How we doing greg

Not too hot. I watched the Rice-Mt. Carmel game tonight. Rice got slugged 42-7. I will NEVER criticize high school kids as they are kids not getting paid and are trying. That being said coach Q is using two QBs and letting them each play a series, rotating. That's never worked on any level.

Rice was down 28-0 and the public address announcer told the fans to quit making negative comments. I forget the word he used. Damn I wish I could remember it. It wasn't 'negative' it was something like 'derogatory.' He actually told the fans to behave better. He said 'this is high school football.'

I'm assuming the fans were booing coach Q. Vanilla offense. Not our night in any way.

I fear this is the year no playoffs. Team is 3-3 heading into Nazareth. After that Rita and somebody else. Got to go 2-1 to get in. Mt. Carmel QB is amazing. Mt. Carmel had big linemen. Unfortunately if Rice played 'em 10 times we'd lose all 10.

Harry ... will coach Q stick around for the long haul? Rice is 3-3 and trending downward. Didn't see a lot of talent out there tonight. That said as always i appreciate the effort of the kids. The ain't getting paid and are trying. It just seems futile.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1