ROBIN VENTURA appreciation thread

greg775

Robin is a class act. I still think he can manage, but unfortunately he failed in Chicago and that's that. It's very unfortunate and sad because it's not all his fault. Things snowballed on him and some devastating patterns set in that are out of control.

Had he returned, with the Sox's current talent, he'd have been unable to correct his squad's inability to compete in the Central, lousy play on the road, inability to avoid long stretches of bad play (losing streaks) and inability to bunt.

Again, it's too bad. It's not all his fault. He has nothing to be ashamed about. Renteria may be just as bad or worse, who knows. But Robin had to go only because this crap would have repeated itself next year as well.

Thank u Robin for trying. You never embarrassed the club like my guy, Ozzie. You are one great great White Sox. I'm not saying this to just suck up to him when he's gone. You all have to agree with me that Robin is CLASS.

Please please post something nice about Robin Ventura in this thread. White Sox fans are known as being classy (except for those kooks who ran on the field that one year and tackled the KC first base coach). Surely you respect Mr. Ventura.

Edited by greg775

Wish Robin and his family well.

It wasn't totally his fault but he was a large part of the issue. There were many, many questionable decisions over the years including of course bringing in Duke in Milwaukee before the Brewers officially announced their pinch hitter who was just standing in the on-deck circle and hadn't been brought in.

Robin had to be talked into the job and he tried his best but it was a position he was neither ready for nor really knowledgable about. Doesn't take away from the fact that he tried, respected the game, respected White Sox fans and never embarrassed the organization.

It was time for a change, probably past time.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

Wish you the best of luck Robin. You always handled the job with the utmost class and respect. While I don't think you were the best manager on the planet, I certainly don't think you were near as bad as many people indicated and you were clearly dealt a really bad deck from executive management. Wish you all the best!!!

And for those that say Robin was a big part of the problem, I think you are crazy. I could pretty much never say a mgr is the big part of the problem, unless we had a really damn good roster that consistently underperformed. With Robin, I think it was the opposite, we had a really pretty s***ty roster with tons of flaws and got about what we should have realistically expected.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 2, 2016 -> 08:21 PM)
Wish you the best of luck Robin. You always handled the job with the utmost class and respect. While I don't think you were the best manager on the planet, I certainly don't think you were near as bad as many people indicated and you were clearly dealt a really bad deck from executive management. Wish you all the best!!!

And for those that say Robin was a big part of the problem, I think you are crazy. I could pretty much never say a mgr is the big part of the problem, unless we had a really damn good roster that consistently underperformed. With Robin, I think it was the opposite, we had a really pretty s***ty roster with tons of flaws and got about what we should have realistically expected.

Not even Bobby Valentine?

I don't think that anybody will ever accuse Robin of being a super-exceptional leader of men, but I think that he took way too much criticism from the fans. His job was to fill out the lineup card, handle the pitching staff, diffuse tension in the clubhouse, and get the guys to play for him. While I occasionally didn't agree with some of his bullpen moves and never understood his seeming lack of acknowledgement of the importance of OBP in the 2-hole, I thought that he did a semi-decent job of in-game management. Even at his worst, he never cost his team games. The players liked him and played for him... I never saw guys dogging it out there, which is more than I can say for some other teams. He did a reasonable job of managing the mental-midget tandem of Sale and LaRoche, as well as the Executive VP who seems to go out of his way to get into fights with players.

Overall, I think that Robin is a decent and classy guy who was limited by a bad farm/player development system.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Oct 2, 2016 -> 10:10 PM)
Overall, I think that Robin is a decent and classy guy who was limited by a bad farm/player development system.

You should've probably just kept it at that.

I don't think that anybody will ever accuse Robin of being a super-exceptional leader of men, but I think that he took way too much criticism from the fans.

He led the team to the worst winning pct in franchise history. The criticism is well deserved.

His job was to fill out the lineup card, handle the pitching staff, diffuse tension in the clubhouse, and get the guys to play for him. While I occasionally didn't agree with some of his bullpen moves and never understood his seeming lack of acknowledgement of the importance of OBP in the 2-hole, I thought that he did a semi-decent job of in-game management.

There were plenty of mistakes he made he never learned from. I'm not about to go back through every game thread to find poor in game decisions he made but they were common.

I never saw guys dogging it out there, which is more than I can say for some other teams.

Navarro dogged it plenty of times. Lengthy DL stints by certain players.

He did a reasonable job of managing the mental-midget tandem of Sale and LaRoche, as well as the Executive VP who seems to go out of his way to get into fights with players.

He was a big part of the reason those two situations became issues that ended up being covered by the national media. Too passive to take charge and put guys in their place. It's why all the players will always say he's a good guy. He wouldn't tell them anything they don't want to hear.

Can you please add he had s***ty teams and players to run out there? DeAza, Viciedo, Dunn, Gillaspie, Flowers.... etc etc... You gotta respect he never threw anybody under the bus and he took the blame himself. Plus he dealt with a s***ty F.O too.... a lot of factors. Sox problems are much bigger than ventura. I really wanna see how long the new guy gets slack around here...

Robin was a nice change of pace his first year seeing as how Ozzie had gone full-blown short bus on his way out, and he did a lot of things right just by getting back to the very basics. It was clear after that year that this wouldn't be enough, though. He was surprised he was offered the job and it kind of showed later, since he had no experience managing or running a team.

well a new change is coming. for good or bad, my opinion on RV tenure is what it is, i wanted to really give him a chance last yr and now he had his chance.....

i do wish him the best and i really do think he really tried. i give a lot of thanks to the owners for giving him that last yr. too bad nothing came of it.

here is looking for the new regime at the helm

go sox!!

I think Robin was a competent manager and someone our organization can be proud of. Firing him is fine—when the front office thinks the team is good four years in a row and in none of those years you make it, then you have to change something...and front offices tend not to fire themselves. I saw an article talking about how there was a high level of optimism as the Sox had added David Robertson, Melky Cabrera, Zach Duke, Todd Frazier, Brett Lawrie, Mat Latos, Alex Avila, Dioner Navarro, and Jimmy Rollins over the course of two seasons and how Robin will be associated with the subsequent disappointment. Some of those players are competent and were nice additions, but I'd be pretty upset if my job depended on those players helping my team rise from the ashes.

I hope Renteria will be a better manager, but our problem has continued to be a lack of depth and good players. I thank Robin for not being a distraction, having some dignity, and clearly being a White Sox man through and through.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Oct 2, 2016 -> 10:45 PM)
You should've probably just kept it at that.

He led the team to the worst winning pct in franchise history. The criticism is well deserved.

There were plenty of mistakes he made he never learned from. I'm not about to go back through every game thread to find poor in game decisions he made but they were common.

Navarro dogged it plenty of times. Lengthy DL stints by certain players.

He was a big part of the reason those two situations became issues that ended up being covered by the national media. Too passive to take charge and put guys in their place. It's why all the players will always say he's a good guy. He wouldn't tell them anything they don't want to hear.

You seem to be confusing MLB with the NFL, where the level of player talent is approximately equal between teams, and the main difference is the coaching.

The Sox's farm system has produced maybe three halfway decent position players since Aaron Rowand, and that pretty much says it all. If you're looking for a scapegoat, you're going to have to go further up the org chart.