Avi Garcia tendered a $3 million contract

Dunt

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 05:23 PM)
It's 3 mill and he's not going to be blocking anyone so who the hell cares. That said, I'm tired of the dude and would rather watch almost any other person on earth play baseball than this bad baseball player but whatever.

Nailed it!

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 8, 2017 -> 08:02 PM)
As one of Avi's biggest supporters I'm surprised I never posted in this thread but Ro Da Don basically said everything I would've said . It's hard for me to really understand how strongly negative the feelings are about him especially during a rebuild. Even his apologists are always somewhat apologetic about him because at time's he looks so bad. Other times he looks amazing like the first 4 games this year. One thing he always does is bust his ass down the first base line. I can't hate a guy who busts his hump like that. He deserves a little more respect for that alone, especially when guys loaf it pisses fans off just about more than anything .

I could come up with reasons for his 2 errors so far but suffice it to say we've seen a lot of bad outfield defense so far due to weather conditions and not just on the Sox.

Even I look at Avi with a jaundiced eye. I noticed that his 1st 3 or 4 hits were all ground balls .I was like what happened to him elevating balls ?Tools and strength do not always a player make but they help immensely when the on switch finally gets flipped.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 3, 2016 -> 01:25 AM)
Yes, the "Dayan Viciedo" manuever. Tendered a contract for $4.4M, released in February and the Sox only had to pay him $733K (about 16%).

So assuming the percentage owed would be the same if the Sox released Avi in early February like Viciedo was, the Sox would only owe Avi $480K.

So they essentially need to find a trade to bring back a prospect that they would value at $500K to come out ahead of the opportunity cost.

MISSED THE BOAT, RICK.

Heh. Another reminder that I was clearly wrong about Avi.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 08:53 PM)
Liriano

Tilson

Coats

Engel

Delmonico

possibly May

I would rather give ANY of those other players innings in 2017 than Avi Garcia. I suspect most of them will hit as well, maybe even better in some cases. And other than possibly Delmonico, they'd all provide defensive upgrades (and Delmonico has hitting potential, and can play 1B & 3B). Oh and they'd cost 500k, not 3M.

My only hope is, this ends up like Viciedo where they ax him for 50k before Opening Day.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 07:01 PM)
I'm all for the age argument if he had shown some progress but he simply hasn't. Look at the stats I provided, he was just as bad last year as he's ever been. 1,500 plate appearances are typically enough time to judge a player who has not improved in the slightest. And I don't buy this 2nd half argument. Below are his plate appearances and OPS by month last year.

Apr: 79 / .691

May: 82 / .720

Jun: 87 / .578

Jul: 55 / .585

Aug: 50 / 1.020

Sep: 100 / .656

Outside of a flukey 50 plate appearances in August, he was bad in every other month including July & September. At this point the physical tools don't matter anymore, every piece of objective data suggests he is the same old horrible baseball player he's always been, exit velocity be damned.

I'd love you to provide a single example of a player who was a sub-.700 career OPS hitter across three full seasons while providing negative defensive or base-running value that was given a fourth season and suddenly figured it out.

AVISAIL GARCIA :P

jk

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)
Lol...hey I'm glad he proved me wrong. At least I didn't want to cut him on opening day like a certain someone!

Ron defended his case well in the face of multiple jaded Sox fans

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 12:08 PM)
I am just going to say it. This is Exhibit A in the case that messages boards do not make good General Managers.

Eh, sometimes the right decision works out wrong and the wrong decision works out right.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 2, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
Honestly, if we are going to be rebuilding, I see no reason why we would just non-tender Avi. $3M is nothing and while I don't peg him to break out, we currently have no better options to give at bats too and he does have talent (so while I think he has flaws that will impact his ability to get there, $3M is easily worth paying to have him on the roster as of this point in time).

I more had problems putting him in a starting spot on a team that was intending to contend. And for those of you jumping off a ledge, give me a break. This move has zero negative barring on the long term impacts of the team (from a downside) and from an upside, the tools and talent are there (albeit the probability of him breaking through are limited, but we've seen it before...see Bautista or Encarnacion. By the way, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he is either of those players and Encarnacion clearly had a better start to his career then Avi, but things happen.

I can safely say I don't regret this statement at all.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 08:48 PM)
I can safely say I don't regret this statement at all.

LOL I have to admit uhh was condusedvwith the original post until I noticed the 2016 date. I believe I was on the Avi Garcia bandwagon back then and am very happy we kept Avi

• 5 years later...