Eaton to Nats/Giolito, Lopez, Dunning to Sox

southsider2k5

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:21 PM)
People are overthinking the rebuild if you're worried about not getting position players at the moment. Up until this coming deadline the goal should be to acquire as much talent as possible. The chips will fall into place after that. If in 2 years our "problem" is that we have too much talented young pitching it can be solved pretty easily. Starting pitching is always easy to move later.

This is key. At the end of the day, you can't have too many of a good thing during a rebuild. Our 2020 rotation isn't set. These pieces strengthen the farm and add trade value.

I'm not going to say this is a Kenny/Rick thing. All I'm going to say is it certainly looks like someone else is in charge.

Edited by Deadpool

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:22 PM)
Huh? If they really want they have massive chips left in Q and Rodon to trade for position players. This is what a rebuild looks like you get the most value you can, regardless of position, and sort it out later.

Yeah you can always move prospect arms for prospect bats to a team rich in hitting prospects.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:21 PM)
Gotta say, this trade is impressive. Feels like an overpay on the Nats with both Giolito and Lopez. Eaton I think played a little above his head this year, and while I'll miss him, I see why the Sox moved him.

I gotta say I find it funny that Drake's two biggest supporters are now both off the team. I'm sure it played less than a 1% role, but it is ironic.

He played well over his head. Eaton is a nice player. He's also injury prone and coming off what is almost certainly his career year. He's on the wrong side of 27 now and the Sox just cashed him in at the perfect time IMO.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:22 PM)
Huh? If they really want they have massive chips left in Q and Rodon to trade for position players. This is what a rebuild looks like you get the most value you can, regardless of position, and sort it out later.

If this fails to the point where you are trading Rodon, you might as well contract this franchise. I already hate this. There is literally no reason to watch this team for years.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)
My first reaction was I didn't like it, mainly because of no position player coming back. But once I saw who the pitchers were...wow. That is a good trade.

Once it said "Giolito +", I assumed those other 2 would be low level guys. Did NOT expect Lopez and their 2016 1st RD pick. Wow.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)
We had good pitching. That wasn't the problem.

Yes, but now that have backfilled it to ensure that we still have great pitching into the rebuild. The deals aren't done yet, but given the Sox ability to develop pitching, this is a good start. They likely have 3 offensive pieces of the future in place with Moncada, Collins, and Anderson, so supplementing that with a Q trade and in the draft will be big. I also think they could get some decent pieces out of a Frazier and Robertson trade that will supplement the core they are building.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
Nats fan:

To me, the big thing about this is we got three guys who could be high upside. Yes, bust risk exists, but getting three high caliber players is fantastic. I like this haul as much, if not more, then the Red Sox haul and the combo makes me feel better then Sale in isolation. Still, a lot of work to go and obviously a lot of risk in what the club is doing (but hey...not like we are defending divisional champs or anything, haha).

Very nice to see us, seemingly, take a very distinct and clear direction. I'm curious to see what else happens...Q obviously is most intriguing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:21 PM)
Our direction so far is to hope that we can get to the same point that we just were. All pitching, no hitting. That is a f***ing terrible direction.

If we don't get hitting back for Q, Jones, Frazier...then we can be a little upset.

Let's not forget we'll have our pick of two top collegiate hitters in 2018 and 2019...you add a Bryant, Schwarber, Happ, Benintendi...two of them, then you're really cooking.

Obvious caveat is they have to hit on those two picks. No room for error.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:22 PM)
If down the line the Sox have too much pitching and not enough good position players its easy to trade from a stock of pitching depth. Almost EVERYONE could use pitching. The talent haul for Eaton here is ridiculous. Get the papers signed before the Nats come to their senses.

See that's the fun part. We would need an insane amount of luck just to get the staff back to where it was, and then you still don't have any position players. That isn't helping this franchise at all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:24 PM)
If this fails to the point where you are trading Rodon, you might as well contract this franchise. I already hate this. There is literally no reason to watch this team for years.

Seriously though everyone should pray for Jerry's great health the next few years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 06:24 PM)

Dude I'm as excited as I've been in years. To me it feels like the early 90s again. Sox are loading up on young talent and if they can get a few studs out of like they did then it will set them up for a great run in the next decade.

I get that you're disappointing to see favorites go but ripping the bandaid off has long been overdue on this roster.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 11:21 PM)
Our direction so far is to hope that we can get to the same point that we just were. All pitching, no hitting. That is a f***ing terrible direction.

I am having some difficulty figuring out who takes the field in 2017 and how many pitchers we have on the roster. I guess more trades for position players are possible

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:25 PM)
See that's the fun part. We would need an insane amount of luck just to get the staff back to where it was, and then you still don't have any position players. That isn't helping this franchise at all.

Did Moncada die