2017 Video Game Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost never pre-order games unless the pre-release reviews are overwhelming and they are for Horizon Zero-Dawn so I put in my pre-order. I ALWAYS pre-order from Amazon, not only do you get 20% off as a Prime member but the game almost always arrives a day early, looking at the tracking it appears Horizon will be waiting for me when I get home today, isn't supposed to be released until tomorrow, very excited, it looks incredibly good.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 12, 2017 -> 09:33 PM)
I'm considering just getting a PS4 Pro and selling the regular. Difference will wind up being not much more than a big drive.

The hardware acceleration (boost mode) pretty much has me sold on the upgrade.

would you say the PS4 slim isnt enough?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 02:07 PM)
I almost never pre-order games unless the pre-release reviews are overwhelming and they are for Horizon Zero-Dawn so I put in my pre-order. I ALWAYS pre-order from Amazon, not only do you get 20% off as a Prime member but the game almost always arrives a day early, looking at the tracking it appears Horizon will be waiting for me when I get home today, isn't supposed to be released until tomorrow, very excited, it looks incredibly good.

This is also a game I plan on purchasing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 05:03 PM)
Thinking about a golf game for the PS4. Curious if anyone has play The Golf Club series, or if Rory McElroy is the way to go?

The Golf Club is a real solid golf Sim, I got good run out of it and go back to it often. Fairly realistic physics with solid community content behind it, probably the most realistic golf game you'll find.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 03:02 PM)
This is also a game I plan on purchasing.

I haven't had much time or energy for games lately, I dove into Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 but haven't been able to commit to much else, mostly playing indies here and there but Horizon is right up my ally and so far so good, its absolutely gorgeous and tight as hell, this is the kind of game that sucks me in. Between this and Andromeda later in March this is the most ive looked forward to games in awhile.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 02:53 PM)
would you say the PS4 slim isnt enough?

Is this about hard drive space? It depends on how many games you think you're going to play. 500 gigs sounds like a lot until you realize every game has like a 30-60 gig install at this point. Mine is full right now and I'm playing a game of chicken until I decide to put in a new one (not really looking at a pro).

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 06:31 PM)
I haven't had much time or energy for games lately, I dove into Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 but haven't been able to commit to much else, mostly playing indies here and there but Horizon is right up my ally and so far so good, its absolutely gorgeous and tight as hell, this is the kind of game that sucks me in. Between this and Andromeda later in March this is the most ive looked forward to games in awhile.

Did you really get it a day early? I'm surprised they can do this.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 10:47 PM)

I pre-ordered The Show 17 so I hope this is true lol had to take advantage of 20% off though I did read 5here was a Groupon for 50% off which I never received an email for.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 08:30 PM)
Is this about hard drive space? It depends on how many games you think you're going to play. 500 gigs sounds like a lot until you realize every game has like a 30-60 gig install at this point. Mine is full right now and I'm playing a game of chicken until I decide to put in a new one (not really looking at a pro).

1. Can I attach an external hard drive?

2. Why so much install per game? Is that if you dont want to use a disc?

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 10:47 PM)

Yep, got in a few hours last night. Amazon has a habit of doing this, probably because they have to ship 2 days before release in order for you to get it on release day so there's a possibility of the USPS delivering a day early, I imagine there are no controls once they hand it off to USPS.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 07:26 AM)

1.It's supposed to be coming soon. link

2. AFAIK, you still have to have the disc installed.

EDIT: Checking into it, it appears that it pretty much dumps the entire contents of the game disc to your hard drive, because that results in significantly shorter load times. But you still have to have the disc to insure that you actually own the game and didn't just copy all the data from a friend or something. I guess the only other option was to tie it to your PSN but that would require constant online connectivity.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 07:26 AM)

Based on the last post, that option is coming. If you're ambitious, you can replace the existing drive. I read some instructions online and it doesn't seem that hard. I would have the added step of copying my existing data (though I may be able to use my PSN to temporarily store stuff in the cloud. Don't totally remember if I can do that). I think a 1 TB HD was around $80 last time I looked, which should be enough to keep me out of trouble.

I'm not a game designer, but I think they store some stuff on the hard drive so the game runs better and faster. There are also semi-regular updates to fix bugs and add features (assuming it's online, which is borderline mandatory). You still need the disc regardless.

Several edits because I'm not tech savvy.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 01:19 PM)
Yes, you can get an external HD and manually install it. I think last time I looked a 1 TB HD was around $80. There's no "official" external hard drive yet, which is part of the reason I haven't done it.

I'm not a game designer, but I think they store some stuff on the hard drive so the game runs better and faster. There are also semi-regular updates to fix bugs and add features (assuming it's online, which is borderline mandatory). You still need the disc regardless.

Perfect info. I get those HD's for free so it may be ok.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 06:39 AM)
I pre-ordered The Show 17 so I hope this is true lol had to take advantage of 20% off though I did read 5here was a Groupon for 50% off which I never received an email for.

I always go to Best Buy, ask for the special edition one, and then see if they will pricematch to Amazon's standard edition price of $47.99. It's worked 2 years in a row.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 12:27 AM)
I always go to Best Buy, ask for the special edition one, and then see if they will pricematch to Amazon's standard edition price of $47.99. It's worked 2 years in a row.

Yeah I would do that but I'm downtown all day so I don't mind the delivery.