2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 08:44 PM)
I didn't like giving up #16...but that was part of an actual trade. This is just for cash...not extra money in the cap or to help you ensure you have "max" space...just cash. 2nd rounder will likely not emerge..but we are clearly rebuilding so keep the pick. I didn't want to give up #16...but at least then it was part of an actual deal.

We all know my preference was to build around Jimmy because I think everyone on the tank bandwagon is delusional and unrealistic on how to build a contender, especially given the type of offers out there for Jimmy. That said, the Wolves offer (even giving up the 16th pick)...was far better then the supposed Boston offer.

Which was?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 08:49 PM)
Built around Jaylen Brown. Not sure what else..but neither #3 or Brooklyn pick were offered (supposedly). Who knows.

Ainge likes to think he has the League by the balls..."I have ALL the PICKS!"

I hope it blows up in his face.

KC Johnson had this blurb in his article (which I haven't seen anyone talk about). I'm looking at Zoom for my answer (if he hasn't had too many fancy beers).

They also created a $15.3 million trade exception for the next eight days that, parlayed with Rajon Rondo's uniquely structured contract, could be used.

What is the unique structure in Rondo's contract? I presume Rondo's option somehow counts (and a team can walk away from it)...so technically Bulls can leverage the cap exeption and Rondo to help facilitate moves when FA opens (and ideally accumulate some picks)?

Or am I being way too optimistic?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 08:50 PM)
Ainge likes to think he has the League by the balls..."I have ALL the PICKS!"

I hope it blows up in his face.

Me too. I really wish we beat them cause they really aren't that good. I don't get Ainge's moves at all.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 10:38 PM)
When a franchise like the Warriors want to pay you 3.5 million for a 2nd round pick....maybe he's a keeper?

To be fair, Bell's skill set could really help a team like GSW, while in no way being a core Building block for a rebuilding team.

That being said, where is this $3.5 million going? It's a salary cap league. You sell out every game in a top 5 market, how does this money help the rebuild? Does it just go into JR pocket?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 08:53 PM)
To be fair, Bell's skill set could really help a team like GSW, while in no way being a core Building block for a rebuilding team.

That being said, where is this $3.5 million going? It's a salary cap league. You sell out every game in a top 5 market, how does this money help the rebuild? Does it just go into JR pocket?

I mean we have nothing but minutes for anyone worth a s*** who wants to earn them.

If the dude can hit 3's and defend and rebound, he can be traded for other assets. He doesn't necessarily have to be the guy penciled in for our next playoff team.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 09:07 PM)
Pax confirmed they didn't want to add another wing, because of Niko and Portis, so they sold Bell...

Would have been cool had they like, traded the pick for the Warriors 1st round pick in 2019 or something...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 11:11 PM)
Would have been cool had they like, traded the pick for the Warriors 1st round pick in 2019 or something...

The 39th pick would typically be worth the 30th pick in next year's draft. Assuming they have it, they should have done that

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 10:51 PM)
KC Johnson had this blurb in his article (which I haven't seen anyone talk about). I'm looking at Zoom for my answer (if he hasn't had too many fancy beers).

What is the unique structure in Rondo's contract? I presume Rondo's option somehow counts (and a team can walk away from it)...so technically Bulls can leverage the cap exeption and Rondo to help facilitate moves when FA opens (and ideally accumulate some picks)?

Or am I being way too optimistic?

Apparently Rondo's contract is only guaranteed $3 mil is waived before 6/30. I see no chance of him not being waived by then.

Lol.

Trading Jimmy = Correct move.

Giving up a pick with your star player = dumb move

Picking up Bell in 2nd = great move

Trading Bell for cash = beyond idiotic

Fire GarPax and pray you get Porter or Doncic next year.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 11:07 PM)
Pax confirmed they didn't want to add another wing, because of Niko and Portis, so they sold Bell...

So why did they draft him? Just to get some cash? For all the hate GarPax get, I wonder if the boss upstairs deserves more blame. Not that we haven't discussed that topic plenty in PHT already.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 11:07 PM)

The same Niko that they were desperately trying to get rid of last season? By far the worst run organization in Chicago. I actually liked Dunn alot in college, so I guess I'll have one young player I'll be keen on developing. Hopefully Levine heals well. I find it funny people are ho hum about Levine because of that, yet wanted Smith who also had an ACL tear in college.

Can someone explain to me Lavine's contract situation? Does he only have one year left and then becomes a restricted free agent? Or does he have two years left before becoming restricted? Given his ACL issue, I really hope it's the ladder and not the former.

Either way, this trade reflects the problem with trading your only chip and not getting anyone with star potential back in return. Lavine is going to get paid in a year or two and start eating up cap space that theoretically could have been used to sign a star in free agency (long-shot I know). I guess you could always move him for more assets down the road, but you're not going to get a ton when he's making a f***ton of money unless he takes another step forward. I just wish we got at least one guy in return for Butler that has star upside.