2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

This seemed like a good trade for the Pistons. Clippers were in no mans land and had to make these moves (no cap space going forward) and a guy who is a great player when healthy (Griffin) but who has demonstrated an inability to stay healthy. Like it for Pistons a lot though. Mainly because I don't think they could attract a player like Blake via FA.

Dunn supposedly still out for a while. Good for the tank, but I feel bad for Dunn. Hopefully he gets better and in the meantime we lose games because Jerian Grant is sucking it up (like usual). This team is unwatchable with Grant at the point. He is the tank commander.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 11:09 AM)
Dunn supposedly still out for a while. Good for the tank, but I feel bad for Dunn. Hopefully he gets better and in the meantime we lose games because Jerian Grant is sucking it up (like usual). This team is unwatchable with Grant at the point. He is the tank commander.

Markkanen is gonna be out for a bit as well due to "personal reasons" (he's gonna be a father it looks like, so congrats to him once the baby comes) and Mirotic might be out as well due to injury. Bulls would much rather have the Mirotics, Lopez, Holidays etc of the world "held out" and not see their young players not play and develop, but this does help the tank tremendously.

Vincent Goodwill‏Verified account

@vgoodwill

Follow Follow @vgoodwill

More

Hearing Nikola Mirotic will be dealt to New Orleans Pelicans for Omer Asik and first round draft pick, sources tell @NBCSChicago

12:06 PM - 30 Jan 2018

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 12:09 PM)
Vincent Goodwill‏Verified account

@vgoodwill

Follow Follow @vgoodwill

More

Hearing Nikola Mirotic will be dealt to New Orleans Pelicans for Omer Asik and first round draft pick, sources tell @NBCSChicago

12:06 PM - 30 Jan 2018

Interesting to see NO still going for it. I know we have to take on Omer, and the pick will be late first round, but I can't complain too much.

@BillSimmons

6m6 minutes ago

More

Update: According to Spotrac, Asik is on the books for $11.3m in 2018 with a $3m buyout in 2019... so the Bulls are paying $14.3m in future money for the mid-teens 1st rounder not $23m. That still seems STEEP.

I mean, the Bulls have money to burn but....that's the best they could get?

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 01:59 PM)
Niko wanted the Pelicans to pick up his option. Blocked it when they refused. (Woj)

This sucks. A top 20 pick for Niko was a goldmine. Asik had a buyout, too.

Wouldn't he be able to get a better contract if a team doesn't pick up his option? He's having a pretty good year for sure, and many teams have/will make cap space in the upcoming free agency.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 01:59 PM)
Niko wanted the Pelicans to pick up his option. Blocked it when they refused. (Woj)

This sucks. A top 20 pick for Niko was a goldmine. Asik had a buyout, too.

Asik has a buyout but I think its after next season. So they still would have had asik on the roster for 11.3 mil next year, plus 3 mil to buy him out.

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 02:45 PM)
Asik has a buyout but I think its after next season. So they still would have had asik on the roster for 11.3 mil next year, plus 3 mil to buy him out.

Pick was worth it. Moot point now.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 03:39 PM)
Wouldn't he be able to get a better contract if a team doesn't pick up his option? He's having a pretty good year for sure, and many teams have/will make cap space in the upcoming free agency.

I don't think many good teams have cap space.

Getting that first would be gold. Could snag someone like McCoy if you miss on one of the top tier bigs.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 03:12 PM)
So the Pelicans only wanted him for this year and not for next year? If you like him for this year why not next if you are them?

It would put them over the luxury tax number for next year, and they want the option to walk away if Cousins walks next year. Plus Niko would give up his bird rights.