2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 03:16 PM)
It would put them over the luxury tax number for next year, and they want the option to walk away if Cousins walks next year. Plus Niko would give up his bird rights.

Ah I see. So then the deal was really far apart when it was first reported as close to done then. f***ing great.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 03:00 PM)
I don't think many good teams have cap space.

Getting that first would be gold. Could snag someone like McCoy if you miss on one of the top tier bigs.

I think even an up and coming team would be willing to give him 3/$45 mil in the open market, and he's only making $12.5 mil if the TO is picked up next season.

Mason Ginsberg‏Verified account @MasonGinsberg 35m35 minutes ago So, here is what we "know." Someone with the Bulls leaked the Asik + 1st for Mirotic deal, then Woj reported that the Pels are balking at deal if Bulls pick up Mirotic's option. The rationale on the Pels' side is being able to afford all existing deals + Mirotic + Cousins. (1/3)

It is true that these moves would push the Pels over the tax line for next season. However, it is also true that it would not be difficult to get back under it next year, OR to find another team willing to take Asik + 1st for an expiring right now. So, what can we infer? (2/3)

After discussing with @42PhD, the most reasonable explanation seems to be that Demps is playing hardball - probably via Ajinca's contract, like @SilverAndMac first suggested. He knows that he is holding the truly unique asset & is milking it for as much as he possibly can. (3/3)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 06:02 PM)
How is Demps playing hardball. Who is Ajinca? Is that supposed to be Asik? How the heck is Asik a unique asset? I presume Bulls leaking is to basically tell other orgs interested in Niko to put out your best and final offer.

http://m.espn.com/nba/playercard?playerId=...amp;src=desktop

Seems like he is done for the season

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 06:48 PM)
When I read it I figured it meant the 1st rounder is the best asset in deal not Mirotic so he can use it to dump more salary.

Ya Ajinca is just a roster filler with size. The tweet was not referring to him (or asik) as a special asset.

Although, I don't know what makes their first round pick a special asset. Every team has one!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 02:43 PM)
That is probably the Bulls holding him out to prevent injury.

Yeah - I presume this is the Bulls holding him out. Basically the report is he is being held out until the trade deadline passes. Helps ensure we tank in between now and the trade deadline and minimizes the chance Niko gets hurt when we are trying to move him.

Something about the bulls makes people crazy. If this was any other sport you'd know this just means something is close enough they aren't risking it. They obviously aren't in a place where they have nothing but are saying "we'll trade him at any cost!"

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 06:46 PM)
This can only hurt his trade value.

Disagree. Everyone knows he's on the market and everyone knows deals are close with teams that want his help this year. They won't do this for more than a couple games; they'd even run afoul of the players association if they did this and then held him for too long.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 04:49 PM)
Disagree. Everyone knows he's on the market and everyone knows deals are close with teams that want his help this year. They won't do this for more than a couple games; they'd even run afoul of the players association if they did this and then held him for too long.

Sitting him only shows they are extra motivated to move him, moreso than before, reducing leverage they have.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 05:09 PM)
Sitting him only shows they are extra motivated to move him, moreso than before, reducing leverage they have.

I don’t think the difference is that big of a deal. They haven’t had much leverage since he woke up from Portis dropping him 4 months ago

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 05:09 PM)

They don't want him getting hurt and killing a trade. It helps the tank. 3 on the road without Dunn, Laurie, and Niko are most likely losses.

It isn't like these games will raise his worth in the market. It can only go down, so he sits.

Edited by Dick Allen