2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 12:01 AM)
2 wins separating 1st from 8th in ping pong balls-4 teams with 17 wins, 3 with 18 wins(including the Bulls) and the Nets have 19 wins. However unlikely, how does the NBA lottery work with teams that tie in record?

In the event that teams finish with the same record, each tied team receives the average of the total number of combinations for the positions that they occupy. In 2007, the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Portland Trail Blazers tied for the sixth worst record. The average of the 6th and 7th positions in the lottery was taken, resulting in each team getting 53 combinations (the average of 63 and 43). Should the average number not be an integer, a coin flip is then used to determine which team or teams receive the extra combination(s). The result of the coin flip is also used to determine who receives the earlier pick in the event that neither of the tied teams wins one of the first three picks via the lottery.
Link

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 01:10 PM)
Lot of miles and a colossally bad trade sending Kyrie away.

99 times out of 100, whoever gets the best player in an NBA trade, wins the trade. Quality over quantity. No Kyrie, no Love, that team is the 1998-99 Bulls plus Lebron right now. It's horrible.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 03:14 PM)
Take your time and heal up, Kris. In fact, Lauri should take a few weeks off to enjoy fatherhood.

Haha. Couldn't agree more. Let's get a few more L's before the boys come back.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 08:24 AM)
Bulls trade Jameer Nelson to Detroit for C Willie Reed, who is serving a 6 day suspension for domestic violence.

They sure do everything in their power to make it difficult to root for the bulls.

Wasn't this just a salary dump. I presume Bulls are dumping Reed?

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 10:24 AM)
Bulls trade Jameer Nelson to Detroit for C Willie Reed, who is serving a 6 day suspension for domestic violence.

They sure do everything in their power to make it difficult to root for the bulls.

I was happy when I saw the Bulls actually got something for Nelson, then I saw the return with no picks and remembered it's the Bulls.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 10:28 AM)
I was happy when I saw the Bulls actually got something for Nelson, then I saw the return with no picks and remembered it's the Bulls.

They get a 2nd round swap in 2022

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 08:28 AM)
They get a 2nd round swap in 2022

Yep...very minor move and unlikely to mean anything other than the slight cash savings, but I'm fine with it (as long as they don't plan on having Willie Reed around for long). Or are we about to swap out the veteran Leadership of Lopez (in a separate trade) and replace it with Reed? I really don't want to just dump Lopez.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 10:45 AM)
Chicago will create a $1.43M trade exception with the Jameer Nelson trade. The Bulls are operating as a team over the salary cap based on their $12.5M (TE) and remaining Mid Level and Bi-Annual Exception.

So big trade coming?

How long is a trade exception good for? At the end of the day, I doubt a team was willing to give up a pick for Nelson, so getting whatever asset you can for him isn't a bad thing.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 11:01 AM)
Bulls were going to waive Jameer Nelson. Instead of that, they get to swap 2nd rounders with Detroit in 2022 if Detroit is worse than the Bulls at the time. I've actually seen people upset about the pick swap.

It's a fine trade as long as they don't give the wife beater a uniform, and they are not.