2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 11:01 AM)
Can we just bank on the NBA fixing the draft lottery in favor of the Bulls?

The Bulls are currently 7th worst with one game to go.

6th - Kings 26-55

7th - Bulls 27-54

8th - Knicks 28-53

9th - Nets 28-53

So if the Bulls tie with any of these teams, how would the tiebreakers work?

The only write-ups I've seen for this is when you are tied you get equal chances in lottery of #1 and top 3 (tied with kings would be 5.7% and 18.3%). But I haven't found the info at the lottery drawing if neither get into 1 or top 3, how they decide who goes 6 and who goes 7.

If you are tied in the lottery, there is a coin flip to determine who gets the higher "odds". At least I believe that is how it works. Below is a link to a site that has all the current odds. It is a very big deal Bulls don't somehow move down from where they are. Would be great to move up somehow (ahead of the Kings). If we were our odds of moving up to a top 3 pick would be about 20% (vs. 15% at the current 7 position).

A reminder on how the lottery works, but if we pick at 7, we can either pick at 7-10 (almost impossible to be at 10) or we could move up to 1-3. There is no ability for the Bulls to pick in the 4-6 range.

http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 11:31 AM)
If you are tied in the lottery, there is a coin flip to determine who gets the higher "odds". At least I believe that is how it works. Below is a link to a site that has all the current odds. It is a very big deal Bulls don't somehow move down from where they are. Would be great to move up somehow (ahead of the Kings). If we were our odds of moving up to a top 3 pick would be about 20% (vs. 15% at the current 7 position).

A reminder on how the lottery works, but if we pick at 7, we can either pick at 7-10 (almost impossible to be at 10) or we could move up to 1-3. There is no ability for the Bulls to pick in the 4-6 range.

http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

FWIW this is what Darnell Maybury from the athletic wrote today:

"The sixth lottery spot has a 6.3 percent chance at the grand prize and a 21.4 percent chance at securing a top three pick. But the best-case scenario for the Bulls would be splitting the odds with the Kings, which the league does by taking the average of the total number of combinations for the positions each tied team occupies. In this case, the Bulls and Kings would share a 5.3 percent chance of winning the No. 1 pick and a 18.3 percent chance of landing a top-three selection.

But every percentage point matters, and for the Bulls one final chance at even finishing in a tie for sixth has to look pretty sweet given they could have suffered a nightmarish plummet to ninth."

So maybe they split the odds. Interesting, that means each team could pick at 6 or 7? I had read a few spots that there is a coinflip but maybe that coinflip plays some other small role in the lottery (or works for the 2nd round pick)?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 12:47 PM)
So maybe they split the odds. Interesting, that means each team could pick at 6 or 7? I had read a few spots that there is a coinflip but maybe that coinflip plays some other small role in the lottery (or works for the 2nd round pick)?

My guess is that they go in to lottery with equal odds (if tied), but if neither jump into top 3, their position is decided by coin flip? There are no mentions of tie breakers like NFL that I have seen.

Just a follow-up on some confusion, KC Johnson said a drawing will happen today that decides whether we get sixth or seventh (if no changes happen in lottery). As discussed before, this doesn't impact our lottery chances, which are split evenly between bulls/kings, just actual slotted position.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 01:09 PM)
Don't care what anybody says. I'm gonna let myself enjoy the MPJ to Bulls gossip at the moment.

I think that's a pretty good possibility at 6.

There are people who are hesitant about MPJ even at 6 because of the injury and the missed time. Reality is if he was fully healthy, he wouldn't have falling to us. Simmons missed a year of pro ball and dominated in his 2nd year. MPJ missed a year of college ball, I think he could be one of the top young players by his second season.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 11:09 AM)
Don't care what anybody says. I'm gonna let myself enjoy the MPJ to Bulls gossip at the moment.

That is Porter Jr right? If so, that is who I have high on my list. I really like him and the Euro. Not sure if we have a shot at either if we stay at 6, but if we jump to 3 probably looking good after Ayton / Bagley.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 12:01 PM)
There are people who are hesitant about MPJ even at 6 because of the injury and the missed time. Reality is if he was fully healthy, he wouldn't have falling to us. Simmons missed a year of pro ball and dominated in his 2nd year. MPJ missed a year of college ball, I think he could be one of the top young players by his second season.

I don't think Porter will fall to 6. Unless his physicals don't work, he'll be fine.

I think we will need some luck to land MPJ. 1, 2 and 3 are some combination of Ayton, Bagley and Doncic. Then you have JJJ who is a could be a special 2 way player in his own rights, and there is always a team that likes a 7 foot defensive anchor so Bamba could be considered here. I could see MPJ going anywhere from 4-6. He's the guy I want the most because his game fits today's NBA so well, but I honestly won't be disappointed with JJJ or Bamba either. I just hope we get at least the 6th pick.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 03:10 PM)
I think we will need some luck to land MPJ. 1, 2 and 3 are some combination of Ayton, Bagley and Doncic. Then you have JJJ who is a could be a special 2 way player in his own rights, and there is always a team that likes a 7 foot defensive anchor so Bamba could be considered here. I could see MPJ going anywhere from 4-6. He's the guy I want the most because his game fits today's NBA so well, but I honestly won't be disappointed with JJJ or Bamba either. I just hope we get at least the 6th pick.

Eh, it's a ways off. Plenty to dream on until it's set.