Anthony Swarzak to Brewers; Sox receive Ryan Cordell

username

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 55 | Run: 60 | Arm: 55 | Field: 55 | Overall: 50

Cordell was a two-way player as a Liberty freshman before becoming a full-time hitter and leading the Flames to their first NCAA regional final in 2013, the same year he signed with the Rangers for $100,000 as an 11th-round Draft pick. He totaled 31 homers and 41 steals in his first two full pro seasons but struggled in 2015 in his first taste of Double-A. He fared better last season in his return to that level, posting an .803 OPS with a career-high 19 homers, only to be traded to the Brewers in early September as the PTBNL in the Trade Deadline deal that had sent Jonathan Lucroy and Jeremy Jeffress to Texas.

Cordell has long stood out for his athleticism and tools, four of which have the potential to grade as at least average. He has the bat speed and strength to hit for power from the right side, and he's shown the feel for hitting and sound approach to produce solid batting averages. Cordell struggles to control the strike zone and has swing-and-miss tendencies, though he's also shown an ability to make adjustments throughout his career. Cordell has plus speed that makes him a threat on the basepaths, and he's efficient when he chooses to run.

Cordell played six positions in the Rangers' system including third base and shortstop, but the Brewers plan to deploy him in the outfield exclusively moving forward. Though he's a rangy defender in center field, Cordell likely will see time at all three outfield spots given Milwaukee's surplus of toolsy center fielders. His athleticism and power-speed combo make him an ideal fourth outfielder in the big leagues.

comparable to tilson probably (in quality of return, not player type) I'll take it - a guy who can at least play until the younger prospects are ready, and maybe he can become a .250/.320 18HR guy

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 05:30 PM)
This dude has a much better chance of actually making a roster. He may come up when Melky goes.

This. With the glut of OFs in the lower levels, a guy who will head straight to AAA and probably to the majors shortly thereafter fills an organizational need. Plus, even though it's in the PCL, low K numbers and decent power feels like a pretty solid return.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 05:30 PM)
This dude has a much better chance of actually making a roster. He may come up when Melky goes.

My thought as well... Plus, Swarzak is a rental. I actually expected less, like someone in the 25-30 range. If Cordell can be a solid 4th OF type, then great. Otherwise, no real loss.

@JeffPassan 8m8 minutes ago

Ryan Cordell, who's headed to the White Sox for Anthony Swarzak, an under-the-radar favorite for a lot of scouts. Big-league-ready-now guy.

@JeffPassan 2m2 minutes ago

How rebuilding is done: Sign guy in late January to minor league deal (Swarzak), turn him into legit prospect (Cordell). Bravo, White Sox.

Well said, Passan.

The write-up sounds promising, that said, his weakness is not an area that the White Sox development team has excelled at. All things considered, I'll take it for the flyer that Anthony S was. Presume we will see him with the big league club for a good chunk of the 2nd half of the season.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 06:38 PM)
The write-up sounds promising, that said, his weakness is not an area that the White Sox development team has excelled at. All things considered, I'll take it for the flyer that Anthony S was.

Seems like he made big progress on Brewers system. Could be a fun watch.

Yeah, I think it would have been nice to package players, but if this is the best that we can do -- i'll take it.

Let's be real, there is a ton of relivers on the market right now and Swarzak is just a rental and an unknown in terms of longevity. Smart move from both sides here.

Longenhagen had him as the 12st best prospect in a pretty solid Brewers system. I really like the fact that he's essentially major league ready and actually has good all-round tools. There is some upside here and for a team that could be patching together an OF for the next two years, he's a great guy to gamble on.