Sox send Frazier/DRob/Kahnle to NY ~ Rutherford/Clarkin/Clippard/Polo

southsider2k5

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:50 PM)
And Rutherford could easily turn into nothing.

Now you are just justifying your own desire to like this deal.

Of course but that's why you load up on top end prospects. To me that's what the sox need and prying those guys away costs talent.

Kahnle just didn't have the history to do it alone. He may turn out to be the best set up man in history, but the sox got a highly rated guy that they seem to really want.

I'm no scout but if that's how they felt, they needed to make that she deal.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:53 PM)
Don't forget Adolfo and Sheets...

I haven't forgotten about them, but I think Adolfo is now going to be behind the other 3 future outfielders. Sheets could be the first baseman, and that adds yet one more of those LH bats, which I covet so much.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (kwill @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:55 PM)
It is really interesting looking at it from the Yankees side of it now having 4 really great relievers for the next 1.5 years. It could very well be the best bullpen in the modern era beating out the Wagner, Dotel, and Lidge trio.

Holland, Davis, Herrera, Hochevar, Madson, Blanton...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:56 PM)
This is likely the best system we have ever had.

Yippee. That gets you aboslutely jack s*** nothing.

Am I excited? Of course! But that doesn't mean you just handwave away a huge asset that we just moved to get basically one solid prospect. Maybe I am underwhelmed by Clarkin, and I hope I am. But IMO, Kahnle himself was worth close to Rutherford himself. While Robertson is due some money, he's a dependable, solid closing option. I don't like the addition of Clarkin to bundle two pretty outstanding relievers together.

Rutherford is still in high A ball afterall.

I fully disagree there. Rutherford, even with a bit of polish removed this year, was worth substantially more than Kahnle alone and making use of the other 2 pieces to make that happen, plus getting 2 smaller pieces back, is something I find myself content with.

If I'm giving up Rutherford for a reliever I want a longer track record, plain and simple.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:53 PM)
Nobody is up in arms. Seriously, the only people freaking out about the deal are the ones telling the people who don't love it that they're wrong.

Not at all. Just the people putting unrealistic valuations on a guy who's pitched 30 great innings expecting to get Sale/Q level returns for 2 relievers and a below average rental 3b.

3 worthless guys to the Sox just netted another top 30 prospect and give them the clear best farm system in baseball. Hahn's last 8 months has earned my faith that this was his best offer.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 08:58 PM)
I fully disagree there. Rutherford, even with a bit of polish removed this year, was worth substantially more than Kahnle alone and making use of the other 2 pieces to make that happen, plus getting 2 smaller pieces back, is something I find myself content with.

If I'm giving up Rutherford for a reliever I want a longer track record, plain and simple.

Fair enough. But you are criticizing a guy that has done it in the big leagues against a guy in A ball.

Seems a bit ironic.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:56 PM)
Now the pressure is on the decelopmental staff.

That's where you invest that money (Robertson, Frazier, Cabrera, etc.) you can't spend internationally or on Otani...best system, should also supplement with best developmental staff.

Chris Getz is still pretty inexperienced to be in charge of all that talent.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 10:37 PM)
Who else on this team is going to land a prospect of Blake Rutherford's caliber. I'll be waiting.

D Rob and Kahnle each should score a bottom 100 - together a 50ish prospect okay but not remarkable.

Would prefer no Rule 5 guys either.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 03:34 AM)
If they're trying to win games, why is Clippard warming up?

Touche. Good line. You got me there.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 03:43 AM)
Agreed. I'm shocked at the response here

Nobody's blasting the deal. Sox got Yankees' No. 3 prospect after getting Cubs' 1 and 2 prospects. Like I said in another thread, on paper, the acquisitions have been good.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 03:47 AM)
Is there one person here who thinks we got fleeced?

There's some negative reaction on the overall deal(if the 4th player is who is rumored) but nobody here has freaked out even a little bit about the deal. Seems pretty level headed around here for the most part.

Exactly. Basically Rutherford is the only piece worth thinking about. You got Rutherford, who projects to be a star, for Frazier (cmon, he's a .200 hitter, awful), Robertson (very good closer but would anybody be surprised if he becomes a setup guy again?), and Kahnle. Well, Kahnle is only 27 and could be awesome, but he also could just be another guy. It's up to Rutherford to fulfil his expectations. If he does so the Sox traded well here. It's basically Robertson and Kahnle for an organization's No. 3 prospect who scouts love.

Projected outfield of future: Eloy, Robert, Rutherford. Rutherford is supposed to be good on defense, questionable arm. Hope Robert and Eloy can throw the leather at it. Need defense to win.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 09:00 PM)
Just can't wrap my head around Kahnle alone being worth a Top 30 prospect. Not for 3 months of quality relief innings. I think Hahn used pretty much all the bullets he had left to acquire the best player possible. I'm OK with that.

Yeah, I mean it isn't like he doesn't have incredible stuff. It isn't like we didn't trade a quality prospect for him BEFORE he broke out.

I think you guys are getting a bit high on the prospect punch.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 18, 2017 -> 11:00 PM)
Fair enough. But you are criticizing a guy that has done it in the big leagues against a guy in A ball.

Seems a bit ironic.

That's the game we're playing now. We are loading up on cards and hoping that a couple of ours wind up being kings and aces. The Yankees are playing a different game - they need a guy to continue winning coin flips after winning a coin flip this year.

I don't think I'd have been thrilled with a return for either Robertson or Frazier, so using them to max out Kahnle's value now makes me happy.