Dan Jennings Traded to TB for Casey Gillaspie

GGajewski18

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (mac9001 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
It's strange seeing people excited over this kid and so down on Cordell. I personally view Cordell more favorably, but I wonder if people would have felt this kid was an appropriate return for Swarzak?

I am not a huge fan of getting a 1B only guy, unless we are talking about something with a ceiling of Ryan Howard at his peak. I am a much bigger fan of Cordell because of his positional versatility and his all around bat.

The other side of the coin is that Jennings has been mediocre at best, and isn't really going to be a guy to bring a big return anyways. I am curious what else was on the table for Jennings though. This is an attempt to buy low, but maybe the Sox see something they can fix. I guess we will see.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 08:07 AM)
Holy christ is that selling low on Casey Gillaspie. Is there something we don't know about why he's struggling in AAA this year?

The Rays obviously don't think that highly in him (given that they shipped him off for Dan Jennings). Certainly a nice move though by the Sox. Why not take the flyer.

QUOTE (mac9001 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:29 AM)
Also, i'm surprised Bummer is getting the promotion. I would have figured Clark or Purke would be the next lefty up.

I'm not that surprised honestly. From his spring training update onward, there just seemed to be a lot of the org was behind him as a bullpen piece. Really cool story for him. Goes to show there is a lot of performance stuff we do not see, as he shot out of nowhere to be a top bullpen guy in org.

It's strange seeing people excited over this kid and so down on Cordell. I personally view Cordell more favorably, but I wonder if people would have felt this kid was an appropriate return for Swarzak?

Cordell seems pegged as a 4th outfielder. You can sign those guys for free every winter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:29 AM)
I am not a huge fan of getting a 1B only guy, unless we are talking about something with a ceiling of Ryan Howard at his peak. I am a much bigger fan of Cordell because of his positional versatility and his all around bat.

The other side of the coin is that Jennings has been mediocre at best, and isn't really going to be a guy to bring a big return anyways. I am curious what else was on the table for Jennings though. This is an attempt to buy low, but maybe the Sox see something they can fix. I guess we will see.

We have to remember that this is Jennings we are talking about here. A decent, but unspectacular lefty reliever.

Gillaspie is a solid bounce back candidate, and if the Sox can get him back on track it provides a 1B/DH option on the cheap moving forward.

I view them both as prospects that have pulses and will be with the major league team in the short term and hopefully a couple of them can become regulars that will provide depth and reinforce the prospects with higher pedigrees. Not everyone is going to work out but if a couple of the Leury/Engel/Willy/Cordell/Yolmer/Hansen/Davidson/Delmonico/Liriano/Polo/Gillaspies' of the world can become De Aza level players we will be heading in the right direction.

This is really a great trade. Chances are that Gillapsie doesn't make a huge dent in the future, but, we just traded Jennings who was a mediocre relief pitcher for a prospect that was ranked in the top 80 by baseball america coming into the season. This is buying low and we aren't really selling much (Jennings was effectively useless for us when we are tanking and not winning ball games).

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 11:20 AM)
I don't get the last few trades, especially the trading of Swarczak and Jennings, where nothing of use came back.

I wish the Sox did not trade Kahnle to the Yankees and instead packaged him with Swarzak and/or Jennings to get a better prospect, for example Brinson from the Brewers.

Cordell and Gillaspie definitely have use. You're not getting a Top 100 for either Jennings or Swarzak.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 08:34 AM)
The White Sox just got the preseason BA #74 prospect for Dan Jennings. What the hell.

Remember how fast Fullmer collapsed...well Gillespie has kind of done the same thing, but from the hitting side. That said, certainly worth the flyer.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:20 AM)
I don't get the last few trades, especially the trading of Swarczak and Jennings, where nothing of use came back.

I wish the Sox did not trade Kahnle to the Yankees and instead packaged him with Swarzak and/or Jennings to get a better prospect, for example Brinson from the Brewers.

You also don't end up with the #30 prospect (Rutherford) without Kahnle.

I don't understand why people assume you can package any 2 players and assume the other team has to say yes. "Oh these 2 should equal the value of this guy so that's who they should have been traded for." Sorry, that's not how it works.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:35 AM)
If anyone has seen him play and disagrees let me know, but just taking a quick look at the numbers a comp for Giilaspie is a slightly less powerful but higher walk rate Jose Abreu

All of the scouting reports seem to point to lack of bat speed being his big downfall, but he has shortened his swing to try to address it.

It probably is what Jennings is worth, but no excitement whatsoever from me over him. Offensive struggles is something the White Sox haven't been able to fix in years. I don't know why it would start now. Given his defensive position, he is going to have to hit a lot to be a viable player. I don't see getting traded to the White Sox organization his big break.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 11:35 AM)
Remember how fast Fullmer collapsed...well Gillespie has kind of done the same thing, but from the hitting side. That said, certainly worth the flyer.

Yeah but we also know that Fulmer could have 4 good starts and suddenly be looking like a real legit prospect again. A good couple months out of Gillaspie and the same is true.