Attendance Thread II

caulfield12

QUOTE (JPR @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 07:26 PM)
Hey Tinley orland frankfort Palos hills palos park Mokena new Lenox homer glen Olympia fields we are talking millionaires...rest in peace but Bernie mac lived down there twista too. R Kelly. The drummer for styx...way more families with bundles of cash to blow. Tinley is the spot and the reason why it's been the #1 concert destination for a list bands for decades on end...nothing but money and disposable income down there. And it's still growing unlike the west suburbs. Will county has been on fire for years when it comes to population booms.

Those stadiums in da burbs work flawlessly. Especially here in arizona and for our neighbors in Cali too.

Not even close from a population density perspective and Will county is significantly less affluent than Dupage, Lake or the burbs of Cook County. It's also at a significant disadvantage from a public transportation standpoint.

Population Density.

ODIMXdp.png

Edited by mac9001

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) I'm told that a new stadium could still be built in the South Loop at Roosevelt and Clark. Keep in mind that the City of Chicago offered to build a stadium at that site in the mid 1980s and JR stupidly rejected the offer. JR wanted to have a stadium built in Addison. Just by coincidence the stadium would have been built on land that he owned.

2) Nobody ever talks about this but for many years the White Sox did their spring training in Sarasota Florida. Out of nowhere JR announced that the team would be moving to Tuscon Arizona for their spring training games. It was somewhat of a head scratcher. Tuscon wasn't really close to the other teams that trained in Arizona. Turns out JR owned the land that the stadium was built on. More tax benefits for JR.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 07:32 AM)
1) I'm told that a new stadium could still be built in the South Loop at Roosevelt and Clark. Keep in mind that the City of Chicago offered to build a stadium at that site in the mid 1980s and JR stupidly rejected the offer. JR wanted to have a stadium built in Addison. Just by coincidence the stadium would have been built on land that he owned.

2) Nobody ever talks about this but for many years the White Sox did their spring training in Sarasota Florida. Out of nowhere JR announced that the team would be moving to Tuscon Arizona for their spring training games. It was somewhat of a head scratcher. Tuscon wasn't really close to the other teams that trained in Arizona. Turns out JR owned the land that the stadium was built on. More tax benefits for JR.

Moved to Florida in 1993 and it just was another lousy move by JR in which he screwed Sox fans. I was really pissed as were many Sox fans who lived in Sarasota. Many retirees in Florida retire to towns where their favorite MLB team train. Naples - Ft. Myers has huge number of Red Sox fans as does Lakeland with the Tigers, Clearwater with the Phillies and Bradenton with the Pirates. IIRC the Tigers having been training in Lakeland since the late 1940s.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

Moving the Sox would suck because they'd no longer have that Chicago and southside feel but it would help with attendance in a way. But..... they could also modernize the area so that far away fans can have something to do when they come to the game. They'd also need to put some hotels in the area so that people traveling from the south burbs can stay the night if they have to much fun. That area is much better than it used to be and has a lot of land that needs to be taken advantage of.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 07:32 AM)

Never mind that the brand new diamondbacks were there as well, or that Jerry colangelo was the owner of both the dbavks and suns and had significantly Chicago roots.

But yeah, lets believe this story about jr owning land in tucson(when he lived closer to Glendale) that has literally only been mentioned once by some guy online.

QUOTE (JPR @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 04:11 PM)
Still think they should build a bigger ball park by the Tweeter Center in Tinley Park. I bet it would be sold out every night and they could add more seats to make the capacity 50,000+. The cell or whatever it's called till the next corporate contract comes up, is in a horrible location. And as you all know water is also wet unless its frozen and the sky is blue unless it's night. I really wish they'd build a new ball park in the Orland/Tinley area. $$$$$
based on what? That you live near there?

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 08:32 AM)

1) "I'm told". Lmao. I'm sure

2) You don't get rainouts in Arizona. You act like it's bad for a guy to want his team to play on land he owns. Oh the horror! Now the Sox share a fairly new facility with the Dodgers and don't have to worry about crappy Florida spring weather, weird.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 07:55 AM)

2) You don't get rainouts in Arizona. You act like it's bad for a guy to want his team to play on land he owns. Oh the horror! Now the Sox share a fairly new facility with the Dodgers and don't have to worry about crappy Florida spring weather, weird.

JR would have never wanted to move to Addison and Tuscon if he didn't own the land. He should get a kick in his rear end for passing up the South Loop offer that the City of Chicago made. I've never met anybody who thinks the franchise is better off at its present location as opposed to the South loop location. Also when the tax benefits ran out in Tuscon he moved the team to Glendale.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 08:40 AM)
JR would have never wanted to move to Addison and Tuscon if he didn't own the land. He should get a kick in his rear end for passing up the South Loop offer that the City of Chicago made. I've never met anybody who thinks the franchise is better off at its present location as opposed to the South loop location. Also when the tax benefits ran out in Tuscon he moved the team to Glendale.

Do you have a link to the South Loop offer he turned down? I do know there was some sort of preliminary plan to build a stadium the Sox and Bears would share but the Bears said no. Here's a link with the truth. Put your BS to rest.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1986-04...s-soldier-field

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 08:42 AM)
Do you have a link to the South Loop offer he turned down? I do know there was some sort of preliminary plan to build a stadium the Sox and Bears would share but the Bears said no.
Southside Sox has had numerous posts about the South Loop offer. Bruce Levine wrote a column about the South loop offer also a few years ago.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 06:55 AM)

I've lived in Florida for almost 24 years, what is this crappy spring weather you're talking about? The rainy season doesn't start until June. There might be an very rare shower in Spring but most years Florida experiences draught like conditions from October to June. 2017 was one of the driest Winters and Springs in Florida's history, lots of water restrictions and fires breaking out everywhere. I golf 4-5 times a week and can't remember the last time I had to cancel a game because of rain. Even in the rainy season we very seldom get rain in the AM, we tee off at 8am and are done by 11:30 well before the t-storms that start around 2 or 3pm.

As far as Arizona goes, it can get nasty out there with cold weather and some rain. I remember watching a PGA World Championship Match Play event out there in March and it was snowing.

QUOTE (The Mighty Mite @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 08:49 AM)
I've lived in Florida for almost 24 years, what is this crappy spring weather you're talking about? The rainy season doesn't start until June. There might be an very rare shower in Spring but most years Florida experiences draught like conditions from October to June. 2017 was one of the driest Winters and Springs in Florida's history, lots of water restrictions and fires breaking out everywhere. I golf 4-5 times a week and can't remember the last time I had to cancel a game because of rain. Even in the rainy season we very seldom get rain in the AM, we tee off at 8am and are done by 11:30 well before the t-storms that start around 2 or 3pm.

As far as Arizona goes, it can get nasty out there with cold weather and some rain. I remember watching a PGA event out there in March and it was snowing.

This is the first year since the 90's that there wasn't rainouts. So I guess you are right this year

http://www.tcpalm.com/story/sports/mlb/spr...fans/100188498/

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 07:57 AM)
This is the first year since the 90's that there wasn't rainouts. So I guess you are right this year

http://www.tcpalm.com/story/sports/mlb/spr...fans/100188498/

I've been a fan since the early 1950s and I don't remember ever reading about weather and rain being an issue in Spring Training in the Sunshine state.

It all comes down to the owners holding out their greedy hands and saying "show me the money" if you don't build me a stadium in Orlando, Mesa said they will. You know that JR got Sarasota to build them a great facility in the early 90s then being the jerk that he is, he wanted out and got the Orioles to take over the lease and screwed over all the Sox fans that retired to Sarasota to watch their team in ST.

QUOTE (The Mighty Mite @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 09:20 AM)
I've been a fan since the early 1950s and I don't remember ever reading about weather and rain being an issue in Spring Training in the Sunshine state.

It all comes down to the owners holding out their greedy hands and saying "show me the money" if you don't build me a stadium in Orlando, Mesa said they will. You know that JR got Sarasota to build them a great facility in the early 90s then being the jerk that he is, he wanted out and got the Orioles to take over the lease. Screw all the Sox fans that retired to Sarasota so to watch their team in ST.

AZ is better for the travel because of the concentration of teams. It does suck for Sox fans who retired to the Sarasota area. But it is better for the team as they can get their work in and still play in the games.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 08:40 AM)

Or maybe he moved to Phoenix since there significantly more teams there and it required much less travel for his players...

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 09:31 AM)
Or maybe he moved to Phoenix since there significantly more teams there and it required much less travel for his players...

If I'm not mistaken it's still 15 teams in Florida and 15 in Az.

Just verified it with Wikipedia. 15-15.

QUOTE (The Mighty Mite @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 10:56 AM)
If I'm not mistaken it's still 15 teams in Florida and 15 in Az.

I'm talking the move from Tucson to Phoenix. IIRC, there were only three teams in Tucson which meant frequent long road trips to Phoenix, which veterans didn't like going. Once we made the move to AZ, it only made sense to move to Phoenix and I'm not sure how anyone could complain about that other than AU students from the southside.

1) This is the 27th season the White Sox have played in the present stadium. I find it interesting that fans are still complaining about attendance and the stadium location. If JR had done it right when the new stadium was built we wouldn't be complaining about the attendance and stadium. All he had to do was build a nice stadium in a good location, which he didn't do.

2) For what it's worth I think the next White Sox stadium will be built by the United Center when the present lease runs out.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 05:37 PM)
1) This is the 27th season the White Sox have played in the present stadium. I find it interesting that fans are still complaining about attendance and the stadium location. If JR had done it right when the new stadium was built we wouldn't be complaining about the attendance and stadium. All he had to do was build a nice stadium in a good location, which he didn't do.

2) For what it's worth I think the next White Sox stadium will be built by the United Center when the present lease runs out.

The stadium is fine. It is actually better now than they day it opened.i have a coffee table book filled with pictures of Comiskey Park during the 1977 season. You wouldn't believe what a dump that place was then. But that park, same location, is beloved, even by me. But the truth is, it has been upgraded.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 05:41 PM)
The stadium is fine. It is actually better now than they day it opened.i have a coffee table book filled with pictures of Comiskey Park during the 1977 season. You wouldn't believe what a dump that place was then. But that park, same location, is beloved, even by me. But the truth is, it has been upgraded.

Realistically, how much longer are the Sox expected to remain in the existing stadium? I'll agree it has been upgraded and isn't a bad park, but are we looking at ten years? Twenty? Thirty?