Ongoing storm disaster thread

bmags

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 07:32 PM)
Received a text from the groom that the wedding has been postponed, 30 minutes after I booked a new flight. Fortunately was able to get a full refund.

Very very smart. I can't imagine Houston up and running by this weekend.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 07:41 PM)
Wow. Needless to be said, there are bigger concerns in this situation, but how do you postpone a wedding? Poor couple.

I also would feel badly for the couple, but they have no choice. It's Tuesday and all their roads are flooded and impassable. People are still getting rescued for gosh sakes.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 07:53 PM)
Postponed, they don't have a new date yet but he said it will likely be in October.

Smart move. If the catering companies, etc., don't understand I'd sue them. I mean there's a good chance they would have canceled anyway. I bet you the place the reception is at is probably underwater, or at least the parking lot. How can anybody get to work this week out there?

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)
She didn't blame it on a lesbian mayor. She was just saying climate change isn't to blame for an Atlantic hurricane that is only remarkable for the densely populated area it hit.

You gotta be really sensitive to think she's blaming it on the mayor.

Setting aside Coulter's lame trolling, Cedar Bayou, Texas just passed 51.88 inches of rainfall from Harvey, setting a continental US record (with lots more still to come). It's the third "500 year" storm hitting Texas within three years. This isn't the normal weather pattern.

Thanks Jason and co. for the thoughts/concerns. In terms of the airline discussions, it looks like most airlines are being accommodating with this. I mean, hell, both airports are still closed.

Delta kept re-booking me on flights and then cancelling them, so now they've stopped that and are putting the onus on customers to re-book a flight when they want it. We have until Sept 7 to re-book without any extra fees. Which is smart. Might as well let the people decide when they want to redeem their airfare (if at all) instead of the company trying to do it for them.

I'm hoping I can make it back to Atlanta by the weekend.

Setting aside Coulter's lame trolling, Cedar Bayou, Texas just passed 51.88 inches of rainfall from Harvey, setting a continental US record (with lots more still to come). It's the third "500 year" storm hitting Texas within three years. This isn't the normal weather pattern.

Whatever, I'm not trying to start a climate change debate. Im just saying she mockingly used "God's wrath" to make a point about climate change. In no way did she blame it on the lesbian mayor. If you read that comment and honestly believe she meant to blame it on the mayor being gay you are actually illiterate or just lack the reading comprehension of a 2nd grader.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 03:11 PM)
Whatever, I'm not trying to start a climate change debate. Im just saying she mockingly used "God's wrath" to make a point about climate change. In no way did she blame it on the lesbian mayor. If you read that comment and honestly believe she meant to blame it on the mayor being gay you are actually illiterate or just lack the reading comprehension of a 2nd grader.

Oh, ok.

I'm also not sure climate change directly results in cataclysmic storms except in bad movies. Blaming this storm on climate change feels like the inverse of the throngs who declare the entire idea of global warming bunk because of a 60 degree day in February.

Edit- I screwed that up. I meant a 45 degree day in July. Whatever...

Edited by Alexeihyeess

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 05:14 PM)
I'm also not sure climate change directly results in cataclysmic storms except in bad movies. Blaming this storm on climate change feels like the inverse of the throngs who declare the entire idea of global warming bunk because of a 60 degree day in February.

A few once in 100 year storms and then a once in 500 year storm hits. I'm sure its just coincidence, or God.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 05:11 PM)

Oo burn.

She made two moronic points: 1. That being gay is wrong because of some fictional book and 2. climate change is a hoax. Both are remarkably stupid.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 05:14 PM)

Just like you can't say any one cancer case was caused by smoking but you can look at the effects in aggregate, you can do the same with global warming and natural disasters and shifting long-term weather patterns.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 08:15 PM)
Anyone see any info about donating things like clothes etc?

I've heard before that it's better for relief groups to get cash donations so they can source everything more efficiently and locally rather than having to truck a bunch of canned goods or clothes across the country. I'm still looking for a good local charity though m

A few once in 100 year storms and then a once in 500 year storm hits. I'm sure its just coincidence, or God.

Well how do we know it's a once in 500 year storm? From what I understand the Comanche did not keep detailed weather records. I think some of these ideas need to be reevaluated, and the "once in x amount of years" weather event label perhaps doesn't fit.

It's a statistics thing

https://water.usgs.gov/edu/100yearflood.html

It could very well be coincidence, but just like the tobacco cancer link, once you get enough data piling up it's hard to ignore. Regardless, Coulter is a hack troll and her thoughts on climate change are not worth arguing over.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 06:51 PM)
Well how do we know it's a once in 500 year storm? From what I understand the Comanche did not keep detailed weather records. I think some of these ideas need to be reevaluated, and the "once in x amount of years" weather event label perhaps doesn't fit.

Funny how American conservatives are the only group of people on this entire planet who think that climate change is not real or isn't happening.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 09:51 PM)

Who made you Duke of Science?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 09:04 PM)
Funny how American conservatives are the only group of people on this entire planet who think that climate change is not real or isn't happening.

Really? I'd be willing to bet that at least a quarter of the planet blames big weather events on everything but climate change. That doesn't justify Americans who do the same, but you give the world too much credit.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 10:30 PM)
I'm just asking questions, which from my understanding is exactly what science is all about.

Science is about recognizing when you have absolutely zero understanding and thus not basing your opinions on that complete lack of understanding. That's why we have scientists, so - in lieu of personal understanding - we can trust theirs.

Did you believe science that the eclipse was going to happen? Why?