Brewers Acquire Christian Yelich & sign Lorenzo Cain

GGajewski18

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 30, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
Plant me firmly in the "we need at least another year of in house evaluations before we go off making any big moves" crowd. :lol:

I feel that way mainly because of Hansen. He could legitamately be the #1 prospect in baseball by mid season. Him as part of a package is selling extremely low on him at this point. Unless the Sox feel wuite differently and the time to sell high is now.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 02:45 PM)
His argument is poor. The timing of Yelich does not feel right for the Sox.

The comparison of Yelich to Rizzo isn't even good. The Cubs brought over Rizzo when his value was lowest. They rebuilt that dude's stance and swing and now he is what he is today. Yelich on the other hand is already established.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 02:32 PM)
Phil Rogers arguing for the White Sox and Yelich

https://www.mlb.com/news/christian-yelich-w...sox/c-264272478

It all depends. If these prospects for the most part live up to their billing, 2019 is the year. If a couple get hurt or a couple just blow, then getting rid of a few for one guy could easily put you back close to square one.

I guess I have an irrational worry about position prospects and the White Sox. It's been so long since anyone really has looked like they had a clue, I don't trust it until they have done it in the major leagues for a while. I'm excited about Moncada and Eloy, but there is always this thought in the back of my mind somehow they won't be able to hit. Far different than the 90s and early 2000s when it seemed everyone they traded for or signed or brought up at least could hit. They might not be able to do anything else, but that was most of the time true.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 03:32 PM)
Phil Rogers arguing for the White Sox and Yelich

https://www.mlb.com/news/christian-yelich-w...sox/c-264272478

I’d do these 3 players:

1. Rodon (injury prone, Boras agent, will be an expensive risk to resign.)

2. Rutherford (5th or 6th OFer for us if we got Yelich—Yelich, Jimenez, Avi, Robert, Delmonico?)

3. Basabe (further back in the OF mix than Rutherford—has a lot of developing to do and we don’t develop hitters well.)

If this isn’t enough, either agree to take on a vet salary or say goodbye—no increasing the exiting prospect talent.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 03:01 PM)
I’d do these 3 players:

2. Rutherford (5th or 6th OFer for us if we got Yelich—Yelich, Jimenez, Avi, Robert, Delmonico?)

3. Basabe (further back in the OF mix than Rutherford—has a lot of developing to do and we don’t develop hitters well.)

If this isn’t enough, either agree to take on a vet salary or say goodbye—no increasing the exiting prospect talent.

With about 15 teams checking in on Yelich so far (saw a post yesterday or two days ago about that number), I would think that deal could be beat for sure. Not that I'm arguing I want them to make this move.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 03:01 PM)
I’d do these 3 players:

Marlins would want nothing to do with Rodon, and Basabe's stock is way too low.

If the Sox are to acquire Yelich, it would take out a huge chunk of the prospect talent pool, and as was alluded to above, if the guys they keep get hurt or don't progress to the point you need them, the Sox are suddenly running out a skeleton crew again.

There is enough talent in the minor league system that 2019 should be competitive with an eye towards 2020 of being a division favorite.

This always brings me back to the Stanford Marshmallow test, and if the Sox can pass it, they'll be rewarded very well.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 04:43 PM)
It only makes sense if you can pull off a lopsided deal. Those extra years wont be worth much

"The final package could look like this: Giolito (or Anderson), Cease, Rutherford and Collins."

I would not be in favor of surrendering that much talent, even though Yelich is very good. I do not think the Marlins asking price would be nearly that high, and guys like Rutherford/Collins still have enough stock to warrant being much better than 3rd and 4th pieces in a deal like that.

Even taking a pessimistic view of those players would result in us dealing 6+ seasons of a #3/4 starter, reliever in Cease, 4th outfielder in Rutherford and a C/1B prospect with on base skills and some pop.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 04:00 PM)
"The final package could look like this: Giolito (or Anderson), Cease, Rutherford and Collins."

I would not be in favor of surrendering that much talent, even though Yelich is very good. I do not think the Marlins asking price would be nearly that high, and guys like Rutherford/Collins still have enough stock to warrant being much better than 3rd and 4th pieces in a deal like that.

Even taking a pessimistic view of those players would result in us dealing 6+ seasons of a #3/4 starter, reliever in Cease, 4th outfielder in Rutherford and a C/1B prospect with on base skills and some pop.

That would be way too much. No thanks.

I think the Sox would be better off re-visiting this idea next offseason if the price is that high.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 04:00 PM)

Why? This isn't a salary dump situation. The Marlins accomplished their goal of significantly slashing payroll by dealing Stanton and Ozuna. This a different scenario all together. And as I said above, 15 teams (reportedly) have some level of interest.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 05:06 PM)
Yelich is arguably better than Adam Eaton and is signed to an even friendlier deal than him. Eaton netted Giolito, Lopez, and Dunning. What do you think Yelich is going to cost?

A lot less than Eaton cost, with Jeter pulling the strings.

This is how I look at a potential Yelich trade:

Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, Jimenez, Robert, Hansen, and Kopech are all off limits.

But after that, I think I would be willing to do about any 3 players, plus a lower level prospect.

So if they would accept something like: Rutherford, Cease, Dunning and Hickman, I would do that for sure.

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 05:31 PM)
This is how I look at a potential Yelich trade:

Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, Jimenez, Robert, Hansen, and Kopech are all off limits.

But after that, I think I would be willing to do about any 3 players, plus a lower level prospect.

So if they would accept something like: Rutherford, Cease, Dunning and Hickman, I would do that for sure.

Dunno about Cease. He might end up being great. I do get your point tho.

QUOTE (zisk @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 06:34 PM)
Dunno about Cease. He might end up being great. I do get your point tho.

The only reason that I would throw him in is because I am so high on Giolito, Kopech, Hansen and Lopez. I think there simply just wont be room for Cease by the time he is MLB ready.

And if that is true, it would be a good idea to deal him sooner before the White Sox have no leverage left with him. Obviously a good "problem" to have.

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 07:49 PM)
The only reason that I would throw him in is because I am so high on Giolito, Kopech, Hansen and Lopez. I think there simply just wont be room for Cease by the time he is MLB ready.

And if that is true, it would be a good idea to deal him sooner before the White Sox have no leverage left with him. Obviously a good "problem" to have.

If Cease does break out and the White Sox have no room for him - either we have 6 starters (frankly this isn't a bad thing) or Cease is a top flight trade candidate.

Take a look at the Mets for examples both ways. They had a need and a loaded pitching staff and traded Fulmer to the Tigers for Cespedes. This literally put the Mets in the World Series when they probably would have missed the playoffs without him.

On the other hand, after that season, the Mets young pitching staff all got hurt and they really could have used the extra arm.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 04:06 PM)
Yelich is arguably better than Adam Eaton and is signed to an even friendlier deal than him. Eaton netted Giolito, Lopez, and Dunning. What do you think Yelich is going to cost?

Not that I disagree, but that came at a time when multiple contenders had loaded systems and were willing to move those pieces. I’m not sure the market is positioned quite that well for sellers right now.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 06:01 PM)
Not that I disagree, but that came at a time when multiple contenders had loaded systems and were willing to move those pieces. I’m not sure the market is positioned quite that well for sellers right now.

That is all fine and dandy but what motivation would the Marlins have to trade him for a lesser package?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 06:33 PM)
That is all fine and dandy but what motivation would the Marlins have to trade him for a lesser package?

A lesser package than what? The Eaton deal? I’m not saying the Marlins would take that, I’m simply stating they might not be offered much more than that in the current market. Given they’re rebuilding, they might just take what the market bares. Who really knows with that organization.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 06:41 PM)
A lesser package than what? The Eaton deal? I’m not saying the Marlins would take that, I’m simply stating they might not be offered much more than that in the current market. Given they’re rebuilding, they might just take what the market bares. Who really knows with that organization.

They don't have to dump salary anymore. I think with all the heat Jeter took and Manfred took, they aren't trading anyone for anything less than a stellar package for a while.