Brewers Acquire Christian Yelich & sign Lorenzo Cain

GGajewski18

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 09:15 AM)
Got an alert that said something to the effect that Yelich said his relationship with the team is irreparable

His best chance of getting out of there is to shut up, and play really well so some team will meet the Marlins price . Pouting and playing the game he is playing is doing no one any good. There is zero chance the Marlins dump him for a discounted package right now.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 10:07 AM)
man, did the Marlins completely torpedo his value or what? Everyone knows the Marlins are trying to move him and now he doesnt want to be there anymore, they cant be shopping top shelf. What a disastrous first offseason for jeets

No joke. I guess it’s why they say “good jobs rarely become available.” It’s safe to say, he walked into a raging mess...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 10:18 AM)
His best chance of getting out of there is to shut up, and play really well so some team will meet the Marlins price . Pouting and playing the game he is playing is doing no one any good. There is zero chance the Marlins dump him for a discounted package right now.

And the longer he pouts and makes his displeasure publically known, the more teams are turned off.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 09:18 AM)

Agreed 100%. Also don't think it really hurts his value when over 10 teams have interest. If it were only a few, then sure.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 17, 2018 -> 09:21 AM)
Agreed 100%. Also don't think it really hurts his value when over 10 teams have interest. If it were only a few, then sure.

This is it right here. He is under control for half of a decade and cheap. Someone will pay up for him, even if it isn't an ultra premium price.

Still don't see how trading Eaton (a cost controlled long term asset) for Gio, Lopez and Dunning and turning around moving at least 1 of those assets + much more for Yelich makes any sense. Yelich is very good, but he's no superstar. I think the Sox are definitely interested, but I highly doubt it is anywhere near the level of interest required to actually acquire him.

Something like Rutherford, Dunning, Stephens and Call or Fisher would be my max offer. Which I doubt gets it done, but the Marlins haven't exactly helped their negotiating power to this point.

Mark my words the Sox will make a relatively nice move in the next 2-3 weeks. One we weren't necessarily expecting. Could it be Yelich? I personally hope so.

But the Sox are going to add. Hahn said in an interview a few days ago that the team as constructed currently won't be the team reporting to camp in a few weeks. He's got something cooking still.

Sign me up for Yelich.

Still a no thanks for me for what his price will be. Most people consider the Eaton trade a fleece'in of the Nats, I'd rather not be on that same page for a similar player.

If his value has cratered and you can get him for guys outside our top 15-20 then cool, but I don't see them settling for that low of an offer.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 02:43 PM)
I like Yelich, I like his contract, and I think he'd still be very useful when the team is good.

I absolutely do not want to pay what it will take to acquire Yelich.

Spot On.

Edited by SouthWallace

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 08:40 PM)
Mark my words the Sox will make a relatively nice move in the next 2-3 weeks. One we weren't necessarily expecting. Could it be Yelich? I personally hope so.

But the Sox are going to add. Hahn said in an interview a few days ago that the team as constructed currently won't be the team reporting to camp in a few weeks. He's got something cooking still.

Sign me up for Yelich.

Where did Hahn say this

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 02:40 PM)

Sign me up for Yelich.

Didn't he say the opposite?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 02:50 PM)
Hansen, Cease, and Rutherford has been my proposed package all along and matches what they are supposedly asking for. Other teams like Braves could beat that though.

I agree that this is probably what it would take.

I'd never do it though, and I doubt the Sox would either. Not worth it at this point in the rebuild

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 08:43 PM)
Still a no thanks for me for what his price will be. Most people consider the Eaton trade a fleece'in of the Nats, I'd rather not be on that same page for a similar player.

If his value has cratered and you can get him for guys outside our top 15-20 then cool, but I don't see them settling for that low of an offer.

It was also considered a fleece because Giolito was a big name in the industry. Eaton was also criminally underrated in the media.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 04:52 PM)

I'd never do it though, and I doubt the Sox would either. Not worth it at this point in the rebuild

In a year Cease could be one of the top 10 prospects in baseball if he stays healthy.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 08:52 PM)

How could you say no? Rutherford is coming off of a horrible season and if he shows no improvement is barely a top 30 org prospect. Cease by all accounts is destined to be a closer. It would be selling high on Hansen who had a great year but is by no means a lock to be a top pitcher. Yelich gives you cost certainty and flexibility heading into 2019 free agency class.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 02:52 PM)
It was also considered a fleece because Giolito was a big name in the industry. Eaton was also criminally underrated in the media.

Considered a fleece then AND a year+ later are 2 different things. I'd still consider it that as of right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 02:55 PM)
In a year Cease could be one of the top 10 prospects in baseball if he stays healthy.

Say what? Hansen just had a monster year and won’t come close to sniffing the top 10. Cease has way too many red flags to vault into the top 10 based on one season alone.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 02:52 PM)
Didn't he say the opposite?

Forget where I read and apologize if I misread. It was a few days ago via one of the sox beat guys. Clicked the link on twitter and read the article. don't remember which though...

I remember him reading that he said there are more moves to be made. Didn't elude to anything big like a Yelich, made it sound more like small deals from what I remember. But I remember thinking it was odd saying that the team wouldn't be as it's currently constructed in a few weeks. Seemed like an odd statement.

Again could have misread..

That article aside, I just have a feeling that Yelich is coming to the Southside. It just fits too well into what he keeps repeating. About not making a deal unless it has a strong long term effect.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 02:55 PM)
How could you say no? Rutherford is coming off of a horrible season and if he shows no improvement is barely a top 30 org prospect. Cease by all accounts is destined to be a closer. It would be selling high on Hansen who had a great year but is by no means a lock to be a top pitcher. Yelich gives you cost certainty and flexibility heading into 2019 free agency class.

Before I respond, I'd just like to preface by saying that I'm not one of those people who doesn't understand Yelich's value- the combination of his contract, defense, and hitting makes him one of the most valuable assets in baseball.

That said, Rutherford/Hansen/Cease is probably fair value once you factor in Jeter's ineptitude.

I wouldn't do it because we're not yet at the point to sell prospects for premium assets, except for in some crazy case where Mike Trout were made available. I'm not as down on Rutherford as you, but I especially disagree on Cease, who I believe can still be a starter. I don't put much stock in his 2017 numbers, which were tainted by a comically bad defense behind him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2018 -> 02:55 PM)

I think trading Hansen is dangerous until we know what we have in Giolito & Lopez. Maybe next year it’s a different story, but I’m not giving up one of my few guys who has a chance to be a legit TOR starter. We can always buy an OF in free agency if need be, high end starting pitching is a different story.