Speculation - Sox potential landing spot for Ichiro

knightni

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 28, 2017 -> 10:45 AM)
He was past his prime when the White Sox got him, and sending Rowand to get him was an overpay and IMO part of the reason the 2006 team didn't make the playoffs (CF was brutally bad for that team). The Sox were very fortunate that Thome's age 35-37 seasons were as productive as they were.

The past his prime Thome put up a 1.014 OPS for the 2006 White Sox, and a .933 OPS during his White Sox career. Rowand wasn't all that good in 2006. It didn't cost them the playoffs.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 28, 2017 -> 10:45 AM)
He was past his prime when the White Sox got him, and sending Rowand to get him was an overpay and IMO part of the reason the 2006 team didn't make the playoffs (CF was brutally bad for that team). The Sox were very fortunate that Thome's age 35-37 seasons were as productive as they were.

Thome put up wRC+ of 153, 150, 122, and 123 during his time with the White Sox. Aaron Rowand had one good season after the White Sox traded him.

If you want to blame defense, you can blame Ozzie for continually putting Mackowiak in CF, but the root cause of that team falling off was the complete implosion by the pitching staff. Their ERA rose a full run from 2005 to 2006. That trade had nothing to do with it, and in fact, I would say was the biggest reason they won 90 games that season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 28, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
Thome put up wRC+ of 153, 150, 122, and 123 during his time with the White Sox. Aaron Rowand had one good season after the White Sox traded him.

If you want to blame defense, you can blame Ozzie for continually putting Mackowiak in CF, but the root cause of that team falling off was the complete implosion by the pitching staff. Their ERA rose a full run from 2005 to 2006. That trade had nothing to do with it, and in fact, I would say was the biggest reason they won 90 games that season.

It's amazing how many career years the 2005 pitching staff had. Obviously Cotts and Politte has complete outlier seasons, but the 4 horsemen in the rotation were the same.

Jon Garland (3.50) had one full season with a lower ERA and that .03 lower in Petco Park.

Mark Buehrle's 3.12 ERA was easily the lowest season in his career.

Jose Contreras had an ERA of 3.61, his next lowest as a full time starter was 4.27.

Freddy had about his 4th lowest ERA at 3.87, although most other season were above 4.

If you go by WAR in 2006

Thome 4.8

Brian Anderson 0.0

Mackowiak 0.4

Rowand 1.2

Big Hurt 2.4

seems a net plus to me as well.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 28, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)
It's amazing how many career years the 2005 pitching staff had. Obviously Cotts and Politte has complete outlier seasons, but the 4 horsemen in the rotation were the same.

Jon Garland (3.50) had one full season with a lower ERA and that .03 lower in Petco Park.

Mark Buehrle's 3.12 ERA was easily the lowest season in his career.

Jose Contreras had an ERA of 3.61, his next lowest as a full time starter was 4.27.

Freddy had about his 4th lowest ERA at 3.87, although most other season were above 4.

Contreras had an amazing stretch of like 25 starts between August of 2005 and May of 2006, including the postseason, where you could easily say he was the best pitcher in the league. From June 1st and beyond in 2006, he put up a 5.32 ERA. That sciatica injury absolutely derailed him when he was at his absolute best, and we never saw that version of Contreras again.

Think that balloon in ERA may have been heavily contributed to by CF DRS going from +15 in 2005 to -8 in 2006?

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 28, 2017 -> 12:48 PM)
Think that balloon in ERA may have been heavily contributed to by CF DRS going from +15 in 2005 to -8 in 2006?

Not to that extent, no. Mark Buehrle's K-BB% went down by more than half and he allowed almost twice as many home runs. That alone tells me that Mark Buehrle just flat out pitched worse in 2006. There are many more examples, but one is all I need in this instance.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 28, 2017 -> 01:40 PM)
This is a shockingly bad take.

I’m still a little surprised at price we paid considering their clear desire to play Ryan Howard and his previous season. But he was obviously worth it and I love Jom Thome. Such a good guy.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 28, 2017 -> 01:26 PM)
Had to go back and look at Mackowiak's numbers after seeing he was positive WAR. Too bad he wasn't a corner bat or bench player.

Mack had an excellent first half with the bats. He'd have been a dynamite player if he wasn't in CF.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 29, 2017 -> 01:14 PM)
2006 CF was one of the biggest mistakes Ozzie made during his time with the White Sox. If he would have stuck with Anderson as the true starting CF and didn’t screw with him early in the season, I think that season would have gone a lot differently. (Buehrle was also a huge disappointment that year.)

I've said since 2006 that even if the advanced stats don't show it, they are a playoff team if Mackowiak never once played CF.

Awesome. I love these trips down memory lane....seems we're reliving the lost 2006 season. Can't wait to discuss the poor base running by Jerry Dybzinksi in 1983 and if Hoyt should have come back for game 4 (NO, LaRussa made the right call, Burns pitched an absolute masterpiece that the Sox offense farked up....shoulda been a 1-0 Game 4 win and then Hoyt beats MacGregor in Game 5 and Sox win the 83 World Series....at least that's how I see it in my mind.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 30, 2017 -> 06:27 PM)
Awesome. I love these trips down memory lane....seems we're reliving the lost 2006 season. Can't wait to discuss the poor base running by Jerry Dybzinksi in 1983 and if Hoyt should have come back for game 4 (NO, LaRussa made the right call, Burns pitched an absolute masterpiece that the Sox offense farked up....shoulda been a 1-0 Game 4 win and then Hoyt beats MacGregor in Game 5 and Sox win the 83 World Series....at least that's how I see it in my mind.

There is no question we SHOULD have won it all that year in 1983.

OK, Dybzinski simply blew that game. There is no way he gets hung up on the basepaths like that. There is NO fricking way Hoyt loses the fifth game. LaRussa cannot be second guessed cause Britt Burns pitched a damn shutout.

Dybber is perhaps the biggest goat in Chicago sports history and he has escaped the wrath of fans forever. What he did is WAY WORSE than what Bartman did to the cubs.

Dybber cost the Sox a WS title. There's no way Hoyt loses. No way!!!

BTW, picking up Ichiro makes zero sense right now. None. Even as a pinch hitter. Make him a coach. I'd be all for that.

Edited by greg775