New Year...same old ESPN...

Lip Man 1

Meh, that's not a case of forgetting about the White Sox. That's ESPN promoting to their viewers and only showing popular teams. Nobody else cares about the White Sox, so they didn't include them. There are no facts listed that would require them to be on the graphic.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 10:43 AM)
Meh, that's not a case of forgetting about the White Sox. That's ESPN promoting to their viewers and only showing popular teams. Nobody else cares about the White Sox, so they didn't include them. There are no facts listed that would require them to be on the graphic.

Little:

There's an old saying...if something happens once it's a fluke...twice, it's a coincidence...three times? You've got a trend. They weren't required to be mentioned but would it have killed them to do so? Especially since the drought was longer than Boston's? And especially considering their previous omissions?

Let's put it this way, the folks in the front office already know about it and have contacted that organization about it. They obviously felt it was meaningful.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 02:51 PM)
Little:

There's an old saying...if something happens once it's a fluke...twice, it's a coincidence...three times? You've got a trend. They weren't required to be mentioned but would it have killed them to do so? Especially since the drought was longer than Boston's? And especially considering their previous omissions?

Let's put it this way, the folks in the front office already know about it and have contacted that organization about it. They obviously felt it was meaningful.

The Red Sox fan base is probably ten times the size of the White Sox. The Cubs are the same. Anywhere you go in the country, you will find an abundance of Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs fans. You will not find the same thing with the White Sox.

This doesn't really bother me either.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 03:32 PM)
The Red Sox fan base is probably ten times the size of the White Sox. The Cubs are the same. Anywhere you go in the country, you will find an abundance of Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs fans. You will not find the same thing with the White Sox.

This doesn't really bother me either.

When you live away from Chicago you realize that the Cubs are the baseball team from Chicago. And oh, yeah, they have a second team :unsure:

If it weren’t for the Mariners, Padres and Timberwolves...then the Browns and Buccaneers, now that Buffalo’s 17 year string ended, the White Sox could be gaining more attention for their current run of futility, which will be at least a decade entering the 2019 season.

Amazingly, the NHL hasn’t had a string last longer than 8 years. (Well, maybe not so amazing with extended playoff teams in the NHL and NBA.)

Of course, Minnesota and the 76ers are likely to break their runs, as well.

I don't think anyone here doesn't understand the Cubs and Red Sox have bigger fan bases. Obviously.

But it's still s***ty to highlight long droughts, but choose the 1st and 3rd longest, ignoring the 2nd longest which ended in between those 2 listed. I mean, for f***s sake, throw a 3rd logo on that graphic, it's not that hard, especially when they get called out for this same topic many times already recently.

I disagree here with this thread. It is quite annoying to us few sox fans, but this is ESPN and a very quick marketing piece from them. It's not meant to be entirely historical, so I have np being left out as a White Sox fan. It's not like their listing other no-name teams there. So, overall, move on....

I'm not too worked up about this, the reason you wouldn't include the end of the Sox's drought is that our fans didn't make up a supernatural explanation for our lack of WS wins and never embraced the "lovable losers" BS....so most people wouldn't have realized how long our drought was.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Jan 7, 2018 -> 01:30 PM)
I disagree here with this thread. It is quite annoying to us few sox fans, but this is ESPN and a very quick marketing piece from them. It's not meant to be entirely historical, so I have np being left out as a White Sox fan. It's not like their listing other no-name teams there. So, overall, move on....

This.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 7, 2018 -> 04:34 PM)
To be fair, Chris Berman did a piece today on the Bills being in the playoffs and all that has happened since their last appearance. The White Sox winning the WS made his list.

No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills