Fake Rumor: White Sox and Moustakas "Close" on Deal.

KnightsOnMintSt

No idea who this guy is. Bio says that he has a Master in Sports Administration from Northwestern.

Reportedly "broke" Josh Gordon being reinstated.

J.M. McNeely‏

@TheJoeyMcNeely

Follow Follow @TheJoeyMcNeely

More

"Oh boy. Source is telling me the #WhiteSox have made a significant offer to FA 3B Mike Moustakas and sides are close on an agreed deal."

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes no sense. Better FAs next year. Would likely be the biggest contract given out in Sox history. I don't know enough about him statistically but maybe they're looking at him longer term sliding into a DH role.

That also doesn't even touch the questionable credibility of this "source"...

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 11:52 AM)
Makes no sense. Better FAs next year. Would likely be the biggest contract given out in Sox history. I don't know enough about him statistically but maybe they're looking at him longer term sliding into a DH role.

That also doesn't even touch the questionable credibility of this "source"...

Again, judging by the Sox trying to trade for Machado, they don't see themselves as big time players on the next free agent market.

I’m not an insider at all and not going on twitter trying to stir up anything but I got a text from a friend last night who had source that said the Sox were close to a deal. Didn’t have any years or money but that it was close. I don’t believe it myself because it doesn’t make too much sense so take it with a huge grain of salt. Just saw this guy Twitter saying it was close too and thought it was interesting.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 01:01 PM)
I guess the thought would be that there is minimal interest right now and that a team could buy-low on him instead of competing with teams next off-season for bigger guns (Harper/Machado).

Maybe there's minimal interest because he's not a great ballplayer...

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 11:58 AM)
What's the downside? Tying up payroll and losing a draft pick?

The horror. The Sox would be a lock to sign Machado. With Moustakas, there is no chance.

Whether it is true or not, or he is trying to ride on the coattails of the article on espn.com yesterday is anyone's guess. But there isn't a ton of downside here. Banking on Machado is foolish. There's a better chance the Bulls get Lebron. Donaldson could be great, but he will cost a lot more and be a couple of years older. Moustakas hurt his knee in 2016. It hurt his defense last year, which hurt his overall WAR, but he's a pretty good player with a ton of power and bats LH (Lillian would approve). The market may have made his price come down to the point it makes sense for the White Sox. Of course if you sign him, you have to be ready to compete in 2019.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 12:59 PM)
commence MoustakasTalk™

MousTalkas.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 01:08 PM)
The guy who tweeted this is my friend. It's 100% fabricated, he did it to see if anyone would believe him

Ok, show's over folks.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 12:03 PM)
The horror. The Sox would be a lock to sign Machado. With Moustakas, there is no chance.

Whether it is true or not, or he is trying to ride on the coattails of the article on espn.com yesterday is anyone's guess. But there isn't a ton of downside here. Banking on Machado is foolish. There's a better chance the Bulls get Lebron. Donaldson could be great, but he will cost a lot more and be a couple of years older. Moustakas hurt his knee in 2016. It hurt his defense last year, which hurt his overall WAR, but he's a pretty good player with a ton of power and bats LH (Lillian would approve). The market may have made his price come down to the point it makes sense for the White Sox. Of course if you sign him, you have to be ready to compete in 2019.

Agreed, banking on Machado is foolish - I've posted that elsewhere as well. But Machado also wants to play SS again so I don't think this rules it out a run at Machado.