Fake Rumor: White Sox and Moustakas "Close" on Deal.

KnightsOnMintSt

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though the rumor is fake, we could still sign Moustakas now and then sign Machado to play SS next offseason.

Opening day 2019 roster would look like this:

1. Moncada, 2B

2. Machado, SS

3. Abreu, 1B

4. Moustakas, 3B

5. Jimenez, LF

6. A. Garcia, RF

7. Delmonico, DH

8. Castillo, C

9. Anderson, CF

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 12:03 PM)
Realistically if he was signing dirt cheap I'm fairly confident we could flip him and easily get returning value of the 3rd round pick we give up.

edit: I'm 100% confident tbh

Sox would forfeit their 2nd pick. Which will be around 45. Not happening.

QUOTE (pablo @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 12:24 PM)
I've seen it mentioned that if Moustakas doesn't like the market now, he might sign a 1 year 17-18M deal and try again next offseason. If that's the case, no draft pick would be forfeited right?

He won't do that. He will have even more competition next year. He'll take what he can get now.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 12:13 PM)
Your friend is kind of a douche...

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 12:18 PM)
Some friend 😆 Hommie must be a young teenager.

Never met him personally, I just know him through Twitter and talking about the Sox with him there. Didn't know how else to describe him, and I don't know of his age

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 12:03 PM)
Realistically if he was signing dirt cheap I'm fairly confident we could flip him and easily get returning value of the 3rd round pick we give up.

edit: I'm 100% confident tbh

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 12:20 PM)
Sox would forfeit their 2nd pick. Which will be around 45. Not happening.

I don't think this is right. It's only a 2nd round pick if the team that signs is over the luxury tax threshold. Under it is their 3rd pick.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 03:00 PM)
His agent is Scott Boras no thanks. He'll either wait out the market and get a longterm deal or sign a 1yr pillow contract.

Pass

Soxtalk would be pretty livid if Moustakas was signed. I think Hahn is smart enough to realize what a bad idea that would be.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 02:10 PM)
Soxtalk would be pretty livid if Moustakas was signed. I think Hahn is smart enough to realize what a bad idea that would be.

How pissed will Soxtalk be if Machado, Harper, and Donaldson all sign with teams not named the White Sox and the White Sox need some offense?

Homers are what wins now. This guy could be a 40 HR guy at GRF. I understand it may be a year too soon, but like trades, a year too soon is usually better than a year too late. If the price is right, I don't see how it's a bad idea, unless they are on 2020 as the target year. Then I could see, no way. Eventually, the White Sox are going to have to add something other than prospects. Wellington Castillo is hardly aligned perfectly for the rebuild. Moustakas would be aligned a bit better than him, and he's an asset that doesn't cost you your better prospects, just basically JR's money. Theo went after FA pitching early. Edwin Jackson didn't work out. He wanted a couple of others he was lucky he didn't get. Prices aren't going to come down next year or the year after. If the deal is right, you make it.

Edited by Dick Allen

To me, this only really makes sense as a way to re-balance the lineup since the Sox really lack lefty power, and outside of Colins we don’t have much in the pipeline. I know Yolmer is a switch hitter, but Moustakas is obviously a better hitter/power threat. Plus the Sox could then flip Yolmer, though I guess they could either way.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 03:17 PM)
How pissed will Soxtalk be if Machado, Harper, and Donaldson all sign with teams not named the White Sox and the White Sox need some offense?

Homers are what wins now. This guy could be a 40 HR guy at GRF. I understand it may be a year too soon, but like trades, a year too soon is usually better than a year too late. If the price is right, I don't see how it's a bad idea, unless they are on 2020 as the target year. Then I could see, no way. Eventually, the White Sox are going to have to add something other than prospects. Wellington Castillo is hardly aligned perfectly for the rebuild. Moustakas would be aligned a bit better than him, and he's an asset that doesn't cost you your better prospects, just basically JR's money. Theo went after FA pitching early. Edwin Jackson didn't work out. He wanted a couple of others he was lucky he didn't get. Prices aren't going to come down next year or the year after. If the deal is right, you make it.

If Moustakas signs for $5m per year, then the Castillo comparison becomes fair.

Obviously, if the price gets too low, there becomes a point where it definitely makes sense. But we need to remember that even though it feels like we have a s***-ton of payroll space available now, those $10-15m deals can become really problematic with a franchise like ours that isn't willing to push the payroll up to the CBT like other large markets. I couldn't care less about how rich JR is now or in the future, but the reality is he's only going to spend so much, and the story of the White Sox during this recent playoff drought can pretty much be summed up as "blowing payroll on 2 WAR players whose names carry more weight than their actual production."

For team that has been 10 million bucks short on filling their holes several times, there's a lot of risk signing an average player two years before you need him.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 02:28 PM)
If Moustakas signs for $5m per year, then the Castillo comparison becomes fair.

Obviously, if the price gets too low, there becomes a point where it definitely makes sense. But we need to remember that even though it feels like we have a s***-ton of payroll space available now, those $10-15m deals can become really problematic with a franchise like ours that isn't willing to push the payroll up to the CBT like other large markets. I couldn't care less about how rich JR is now or in the future, but the reality is he's only going to spend so much, and the story of the White Sox during this recent playoff drought can pretty much be summed up as "blowing payroll on 2 WAR players whose names carry more weight than their actual production."

For team that has been 10 million bucks short on filling their holes several times, there's a lot of risk signing an average player two years before you need him.

On a per game basis, his WAR the last 3 seasons is on par with Jose Abreu. He's also a year and a half younger. If Abreu signed an extension, not many people would be complaining. I don't know why they would complain about a LH 3b/!b guy with power. I wouldn't give him $20 million a year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2018 -> 03:17 PM)

You say if the deal is right do you really think you can get Boras will sign a below market deal? So if you believe the Sox aren't ready to compete why not wait?

Plus players with Moose body type don't age well nor does his OBP ISO heavy profile.