2018 NFL off-season thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 04:28 PM)
Bears had most $ committed to Guard in the league and were only getting average play. means that money has to count elsewhere, and not just buying crappy depth.

Average play?...they got minimal play from Long...and for a $8M cap hit. I think their combined cap hit was around $15M...salary around $11. They'll still be paying quite a bit for the position next year as well no? Long's salary goes down but his cap hit will be 8.8...and I honestly doubt they get squat from him this season. If they sign Norwell...that will be quite a bit as well. They have to do something as the only other guys I think on the roster are Kush and Morgan...I think. Doesn't Nagy come from the coaching tree/philosophy in terms of the line as "inside/out"...meaning stronger G play is more important. I thought I read that somewhere.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 04:55 PM)
I think it's a combo of him getting old and being injured a lot, along with a new coaching staff and a team that won't win the Super Bowl next year anyway. I think they would rather get a guy they might need 2 to 3 years from now they can integrate into their system.

Maybe, but don’t you agree even with a new staff, the Bears are under a lot of pressure to win as much as possible in 2018? I get looking down the road, but IMO there is an urgency here.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 05:04 PM)
Maybe, but don’t you agree even with a new staff, the Bears are under a lot of pressure to win as much as possible in 2018? I get looking down the road, but IMO there is an urgency here.

That's true, especially for Pace, but I guess that depends on how.much Sitton does have left in the tank. Whatever their.plan is to replace him, having 85% of the production at one G position is not of big a deal for a team fighting for 7 or wins, as opposed to a team trying to win it all I think. (85% was just a random thought)

Now if they don't spend much of their salary cap money, then it's also a different discussion. If they just replace him with an undrafted free agent wild card, that will look bad on their part.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 06:04 PM)

Kinda yes and no I think. How many teams that finish in last place three years in a row...and bring in a new coach are under pressure to win immediately? Pressure...there's always pressure to win...and of course you "win as much as possible". I think the Bears will be much better...but I'm not sure Nagy will be under pressure. But I'm thinking the Bears will be more loose and open it up on O....seems they'll be "rejuvinated". The D will be fine with a few tweaks and additions. I hope they don't fall into the "we have to be as good as the Rams were last year" trap....

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 07:36 PM)
Jarvis Landry franchise tagged. Allen Robinson likely to be tagged too. The wide receiver market is quickly diminishing. Albert Wilson seemed like a gimme, but he is only gonna get more expensive now

Really bad news for us. Pace completely ignoring the position last offseason is really going to cost us.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 05:04 PM)

No, there will be a grace year to show "progress." After the last couple of years of poor records, they just need to show "improvement" which really shouldn't be tough.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 08:11 PM)
Really bad news for us. Pace completely ignoring the position last offseason is really going to cost us.

Landry is overrated. There will still be decent WR’s on the market and you build in the draft anyway.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 07:40 AM)
Landry is overrated. There will still be decent WR’s on the market and you build in the draft anyway.

I didn't want Landry. The problem is that the other decent WR's are gonna be more expensive and have more suitors if Landry and Robinson aren't out there.

I'm getting worried that the Bears draft Ridley with that #8 pick. If they trade down in the 1st, I would feel better, but he doesn't seem explosive enough to justify a top 10 overall pick.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 08:29 PM)
No, there will be a grace year to show "progress." After the last couple of years of poor records, they just need to show "improvement" which really shouldn't be tough.

Normally, I would agree, but they are on coach #3 after Lovie, who got fired after 10-6, and they haven't been over .500 since. And only .500 once. 4 straight seasons of double digit losses. If Trubisky doesn't step up and look like a franchise QB next year, and the Bears go 6-10 or 5-11, or 7-9, or even 8-8, I believe there is going to be a lot of push back. The NFL doesn't usually have 4 or 5 year rebuilds. Too much turnover with age, money and injury.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 08:34 AM)
Normally, I would agree, but they are on coach #3 after Lovie, who got fired after 10-6, and they haven't been over .500 since. And only .500 once. 4 straight seasons of double digit losses. If Trubisky doesn't step up and look like a franchise QB next year, and the Bears go 6-10 or 5-11, or 7-9, or even 8-8, I believe there is going to be a lot of push back. The NFL doesn't usually have 4 or 5 year rebuilds. Too much turnover with age, money and injury.

They need to be 8-8 or the organization will have proven again that it is not improving.

I believe that the Bears are leaving their GM to have too much responsibility and they are not prepared for this role in the current NFL.

The team president should be a football guy not Ted Phillips.

Ryan Pace is in charge of every football decision.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 05:12 PM)
That's true, especially for Pace, but I guess that depends on how.much Sitton does have left in the tank. Whatever their.plan is to replace him, having 85% of the production at one G position is not of big a deal for a team fighting for 7 or wins, as opposed to a team trying to win it all I think. (85% was just a random thought)

Now if they don't spend much of their salary cap money, then it's also a different discussion. If they just replace him with an undrafted free agent wild card, that will look bad on their part.

If this was Pace's first year I'd agree with the "cut one year early rather than one year late", problem is when he has made the right decision in letting go talent, he has not made the right decisions in replacing it.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 11:29 AM)
After declining the option on Sutton, I think there is a real chance the Bears go out and draft Nelson from ND. Guard is a huge weakness now for the Bears depending on where they ultimately play Whitehair and Long is no guarantee to return to his previous level of play.

If he does fall to the Bears, I'd be all about it. The interior o-line would be nasty (if Long can stay on the field, and that now has turned into a big "if" based on the past couple years).

One thing I do want to say is that personally, I would have kept Sitton until after the draft. Here's the problem I have: we basically have to sign a quality interior lineman now, and that puts us in a bind if we want to draft Quenton Nelson. Yeah, best player available, blah blah blah. Well, who are you going to sit? The starting-caliber veteran who you just gave money to, or the rookie? Either way, you're in a bad spot. Injuries happen, sure. But it's really not ideal from a roster-building standpoint to sign a good veteran and then have to make him a backup, which is what you would have to do because you don't draft Nelson at #8 just to ride the bench.... And if you don't sign a quality OG in free agency, and then Nelson is gone before #8, or someone else you have rated higher falls to #8, then you're downgrading at OG. Not the way you draw it up.

With keeping Sitton for now, you ride it out. You ignore OG in free agency (except maybe a backup type). If Nelson falls and you take him (or another quality OG is there in the 2nd round), then great. See ya Sitton. People will say "oh, but it hurts the player." Bulls***. This is a business. You protect yourself. And frankly, Sitton is still pretty darn good. He'd have no trouble finding a job, though he may not make as much as he would if he could have partaken in Free Agency in March.

Edited by dasox24

Pretty good read on Trubisky here. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/mitchell...hise-saving-qb/

Precision, arm talent, timing

Trubisky's accuracy and precision immediately jumps out. According to Cian Fahey, who tracks advanced statistics for an annual quarterback catalogue, Trubisky finished as the fifth-most accurate quarterback after adjusting for depth.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 21, 2018 -> 01:04 PM)
If he does fall to the Bears, I'd be all about it. The interior o-line would be nasty (if Long can stay on the field, and that now has turned into a big "if" based on the past couple years).

One thing I do want to say is that personally, I would have kept Sitton until after the draft. Here's the problem I have: we basically have to sign a quality interior lineman now, and that puts us in a bind if we want to draft Quenton Nelson. Yeah, best player available, blah blah blah. Well, who are you going to sit? The starting-caliber veteran who you just gave money to, or the rookie? Either way, you're in a bad spot. Injuries happen, sure. But it's really not ideal from a roster-building standpoint to sign a good veteran and then have to make him a backup, which is what you would have to do because you don't draft Nelson at #8 just to ride the bench.... And if you don't sign a quality OG in free agency, and then Nelson is gone before #8, or someone else you have rated higher falls to #8, then you're downgrading at OG. Not the way you draw it up.

With keeping Sitton for now, you ride it out. You ignore OG in free agency (except maybe a backup type). If Nelson falls and you take him (or another quality OG is there in the 2nd round), then great. See ya Sitton. People will say "oh, but it hurts the player." Bulls***. This is a business. You protect yourself. And frankly, Sitton is still pretty darn good. He'd have no trouble finding a job, though he may not make as much as he would if he could have partaken in Free Agency in March.

I think they had to pick up or decline his option in the next two weeks. Couldn’t wait to decide until after the draft

I saw an interview with Hub yesterday discussing the Bears. He said they won't be able to spend all of their cap money. Also said, if they have to, they should tag Fuller. Said he probably isn't worth the salary, but they can't create more holes, and it isn't going to be a payroll problem. Didn't understand why teams kept trying to pick on Fuller last year, he played really well. Also said Fangio was Fuller's biggest detractor before the season, and a huge backer afterward.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 06:36 AM)
I don’t know what his deal is, but Greg Gabriel has gotten into twitter beef with Mike Florio, Chris B Brown, and now Aaron Leming over the last few weeks. As well as a bunch of followers

Dude is a giant ass. Nothing to note there.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 02:35 PM)
Adam Hoge @AdamHoge

5m

#Bears release Pernell McPhee and Quintin Demps.

It's a bummer McPhee couldn't stay healthy, he was a beast when he was actually on the field.

Then again, if he could stay healthy, the Ravens probably would have never let him go.