2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

21 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

He was drafted in the 7th round in 2010. He wasn't even a productive minor league hitter. When guys stink in the minors, stink in the majors and then have a very good 21 games, you can imagine why the majority of us believe it's an anomaly.

For the record, a 28 year old who has consistently stunk isn't "old" by any standards, but it typically is for a player to turn his entire career around.

That pretty much matches Justin Turner's resume including...drafted in the 7th round and not doing a thing in the majors until he was 29.  Do I think Saladino will be Turner - of  course not; it's extremely unlikely.  But I still don't see why they gave him away, with Charlotte populated with  Jake Elmore.

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

That pretty much matches Justin Turner's resume including...drafted in the 7th round and not doing a thing in the majors until he was 29.  Do I think Saladino will be Turner - of  course not; it's extremely unlikely.  But I still don't see why they gave him away, with Charlotte populated with  Jake Elmore.

Two reasons.  They needed roster space, and they have Anderson, Moncada, Garcia, and Sanchez at the major league level up the middle giving them a lot of quality depth.

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

There is very little that Turner and Saladino have in common.   When Turner was toiling in the Mets minors waiting for a shot, tell me, why exactly was he blocked?   Was it, maybe, David Wright and Luis Castillo blocking him from the time he was drafted until he made his debut?

turner has been a better player across the board in every level 

3 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

And looking at Turner's Mets' numbers, dude was actually hitting when he was on the bench, blocked from a starting role.

Even if Turner was in the same situation as Saladino, that's one guy out of, what, 10k that struggle after being awful for years?

46 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think you missed the point. I know he was hurt, but it's not like the injuries forced him to miss the whole year; he got in 281 PA's, and based on the prior years (although not as bad as 2017), he was very mediocre, in MILB and MLB. While the back injury forced him to go from mediocre to bad, he still wasn't anything special prior to.

9 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Even if Turner was in the same situation as Saladino, that's one guy out of, what, 10k that struggle after being awful for years?

I think you missed the point. I know he was hurt, but it's not like the injuries forced him to miss the whole year; he got in 281 PA's, and based on the prior years (although not as bad as 2017), he was very mediocre, in MILB and MLB. While the back injury forced him to go from mediocre to bad, he still wasn't anything special prior to.

The back absolutely had an impact on his play, and cost him nearly two months of play at a minimum, and probably more than that it his level of performance.  I wouldn't call him special, but he has shown he can play at the major league level when healthy.  In 2016 he put up an OPS+ of 98 with the bat, and a positive dWAR for a total fWAR of 1.2.

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

if u stink u are worthless.

this right here is why i barely try and argue with you anymore.   This is terrible and totally distorts your argument against what I and Soxfan49 said about Saladino

58 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

this right here is why i barely try and argue with you anymore.   This is terrible and totally distorts your argument against what I and Soxfan49 said about Saladino

I don't know why my post was so bad in response to this one which was pretty bad. ...

He said: "He was drafted in the 7th round in 2010. He wasn't even a productive minor league hitter. When guys stink in the minors, stink in the majors and then have a very good 21 games, you can imagine why the majority of us believe it's an anomaly.

For the record, a 28 year old who has consistently stunk isn't "old" by any standards, but it typically is for a player to turn his entire career around."

I can buy he had back injuries and I can buy he's not a star or anything. I was just saying I thought he looked like a good, serviceable .300ish hitter that first stint with the Sox. I liked the mustachioed man.

6 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

When you and @WBWSF are the next President and GM, respectively, of a franchise, you can take up that agitation with the commish.

If I was the GM  of this White Sox team we wouldn't  be in the bottom in the standings, attendance and TV ratings. I would have been the talk of MLB and believe  me  we would be having some fun.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

If I was the GM  of this White Sox team we wouldn't  be in the bottom in the standings, attendance and TV ratings. I would have been the talk of MLB and believe  me  we would be having some fun.

Donald, is that you?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

It would be very, very great! I would compile a great roster and make the Cubs pay for it! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Yeah because you would have signed Tyler Chatwood, right?

Rodon sharp again last night. If he comes up and pitches well and we call up Stevens and Kopech, the second half of the season 

would be fun to watch.

11 minutes ago, zisk said:

Rodon sharp again last night. If he comes up and pitches well and we call up Stevens and Kopech, the second half of the season 

would be fun to watch.

The pitching has been slightly better than the hitting for runs scored. They are 4th worst in hitting and only 5th worst pitching. They need Jimenez a little more if you want to make them fun to watch.

Although i noticed something interesting about the sox OPS. They have a higher OPS than 17 other teams and are almost league average. However the are near the bottom of runs scored. Not really sure what it means other than they cant score runs.

Edited by ptatc

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

The pitching has been slightly better than the hitting for runs scored. They are 4th worst in hitting and only 5th worst pitching. They need Jimenez a little more if you want to make them fun to watch.

Although i noticed something interesting about the sox OPS. They have a higher OPS than 17 other teams and are almost league average. However the are near the bottom of runs scored. Not really sure what it means other than they cant score runs.

The line is extremely unbalanced with a number of really bad hitters, a lot of steals, plus outs on bases, and terrible with RISP.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Did you correct for games played discrepancies?

If you go just by American League teams, they are 13th/15th in Runs Scored.

For Runs allowed per game, they are 14th out of 15, barely ahead of the Royals for LAST (5.47 vs. 5.46)

If you look at their pitching fWAR for all of MLB, they’re 25th.  Hitting, they are 20th (a couple of weeks ago, they were 14th)...

wRC+=99 for 13th/30

Slugging 9th/30 (.417)

OBP 22nd (.311)

They’re not getting on base as frequently...and they’re struggling to drive in runners in scoring position, essentially, they don’t have a terrible or even bad offense, especially when you consider our stolen bases and how many sacrifice bunts we’ve wasted that haven’t led to runs scoring.

Edited by caulfield12