Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

Yeah,,, he is young.. can run... swing looks pretty.

But I doesn't really look like he can hit MLB pitching at the moment.

There is still hope.. but I just don't see it.

This looks like a pretty bad swing and miss by Hahn and the boys...

Hope to hell im eating crow on this...

• Thanks 2

Just now, harkness99 said:

Yeah,,, he is young.. can run... swing looks pretty.

But I doesn't really look like he can hit MLB pitching at the moment.

There is still hope.. but I just don't see it.

This looks like a pretty bad swing and miss by Hahn and the boys...

Hope to hell im eating crow on this...

Moncada is nothing more than a paper tiger at this point. I've been saying it for months, but the Sox got sold a Toyota Camry disguised as a Porsche.  All the "tools" in the world don't matter if the kid can't hit and adjust his approach. 

He is going to shatter the all time record for strikeouts in a season. It will be really interesting to see what the Sox do with him a month from now. Will they shut him down in Mid-September in a developmental year or let him him shatter the strikeout record? 

• Thanks 3

MonKada is done. I look at the box score after every game and go right to the K column. Dude seriously K's at least twice every game. He clearly is overmatched and can't even put the ball in play to prevent all these strikeouts. Not much hope for him imo. Hahn got hosed in that deal. Should have held out for Benintendi or no trade to Boston. It's beyond obvious Boston knew how overrated Moncada was. 

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

The k's record isn't that impressive when you consider the top 31 in k's in a season have all happened in the last 17 years. It's just the way the game is going. 

This group doesn't really care about facts or reality.  They only want to be throwing a temper tantrum.

• Thanks 1

I’m definitely not declaring him a bust, but this K rate shouldn’t be tolerated at the big league level- and I don’t care how bad Baez was earlier in his career. I’d send him down to just take the pressure off a couple weeks. Hope something clicks.

• Thanks 2

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

This group doesn't really care about facts or reality.  They only want to be throwing a temper tantrum.

Please show me some facts that display an improvement in Moncadas game.

You couldn't even trade Moncada straight up for David Bote at this point. Pretty harsh reality.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Please show me some facts that display an improvement in Moncadas game.

You couldn't even trade Moncada straight up for David Bote at this point. Pretty harsh reality.

A post like this SHOULD be embarrassing.  The fact that you are suggesting teams would rather have guys like Bote or Alen Hensen proves my point.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

A post like this SHOULD be embarrassing.  The fact that you are suggesting teams would rather have guys like Bote or Alen Hensen proves my point.

At least he's starting to direct his ire towards Luis Robert. He's understanding that diversifying the trolling makes him appear to be somewhat less obsessed. 

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The fact and reality is that this kid is going to shatter the all-time strikeout record, which is a pretty big deal.  People are legitimately reacting to that.  I know I am concerned about that, and at the risk of also being accused of throwing a temper tantrum on the subject, I hope they find a way to sit him in September just enough times to prevent this from happening.  

• Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

At least he's starting to direct his ire towards Luis Robert. He's understanding that diversifying the trolling makes him appear to be somewhat less obsessed. 

But he's smart enough to not take a Ron-like approach to Abreu, otherwise it would be obvious that he just hates Cubans 

Hey, I'm not writing Moncada off or anything, but his 2018 in a vacuum isn't good. I would agree that in a vacuum it isn't bad either, BUT as the headliner in the Sale deal having a start like  this to his career isn't going to endear him to the fanbase, to say the least. In context, 1.5 WAR from the first full season in the bigs as the headliner in the Sale trade is nothing short of underwhelming and a massive disappointment. That is all I'm saying. Like I said earlier I think he still is raw and has enormous potential, and how close he gets to it depends on one thing: Hits. The rest will take care of itself, and that  includes the Ks. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

David Bote already has a higher WAR than Moncada this year and Bote has only played in 34 games! 

Quit living in the past with Moncada. His #1 prospect days are ancient history. 

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ummmm.  Only 79 players put up 2.5 WAR or higher in the AL last year.  Exclude pitchers and the number is 52.  So tons of everyday AL regulars didn't surpass 2.5 fWAR last season.  

So I don't think your comment really holds much water.  

Wait, didn't Parkman post 2-2.5 WAR is an MLB regular?

5 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

This x infinity. To me, the 1.1 fWAR that he's put up in 2018 qualifies as "barely above replacement level" which is bad. Sorry. You aren't an MLB regular unless you put up at least 2-2.5 fWAR. 

Why, yes he did.

You entirely skipping over the "2-2.5 fWAR" part of his post is impressive goalpost moving. If you're going to attack the man's opinion, at least cite the same thing he did, rather than skipping past the most cogent part.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

David Bote already has a higher WAR than Moncada this year and Bote has only played in 34 games! 

Just quit. This take is so hot, planets revolve around it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

But he's smart enough to not take a Ron-like approach to Abreu, otherwise it would be obvious that he just hates Cubans 

Get out of here with this nonsense. I got no problems with Cuban players and love me some Jose Abreu. Abreu has proven that he can hit big league pitching unlike Moncada or Robert.

U ready to eat crow on Albies yet? That kid just keeps on proving haters like you wrong day after day.

• Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Get out of here with this nonsense. I got no problems with Cuban players and love me some Jose Abreu. Abreu has proven that he can hit big league pitching unlike Moncada or Robert.

U ready to eat crow on Albies yet? That kid just keeps on proving haters like you wrong day after day.

Having Albies instead of Moncada on this team would simply hurt their 2019 draft position. Let’s compare the performance of those two in the 2020 season and beyond when wins/losses actually matter to this team. Until then, I just don’t see the point in getting all worked up and his performance this year is actually helping their 2018 tanking effort. 

23 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Did you just call somebody a hater? I've never seen you post something positive. Not once. In fact, you have more than 1 account just to hate. That's just weird, dude. 

35 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Of course his #1 prospect days are over. He's exceeded the rookie limit for plate appearances. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

The same Albies who has a sub-685 OPS over the last month? No, I'm not ready for that.

Some of you need to get a serious grip on reality. 19 starts ago Moncada was at .234 BA with a .733 OPS and is going through a particularly brutal stretch during his rookie season. It’s almost as if some of you have never watched the game of baseball before. God forbid you should have to suffer through something like, I dunno, the 2003 season of Paul Konerko without jumping off of the freaking ship and screaming bloody murder every 15 friggin seconds. Get a damned grip. A 20 game BRUTAL stretch of yes bad play but also VARIANCE in a HIGH VARIANCE game is....normal? Especially for an extremely young major league player. Newsflash: rookies gonna play bad sometimes.  Yeesh

Edited by Greg Hibbard