Don't see how Sox/Twins get a single game in this weekend

Richie

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 04:27 PM)
Stone mentioned Thursday as a possible make up date

Interesting. Twins would be coming back from Puerto Rico to play one or two games, then have to fly down to Tampa.

High of 45 and no rain.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 03:00 PM)
it's booked for something else. this series is OVAH. probably for the best. just go get s***faced and get yourself mentally ready to play on Monday or whatever.

Moncada seems like he needs to get drunk/laid. Might be good for the young fella. Clear his head

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 04:30 PM)
Interesting. Twins would be coming back from Puerto Rico to play one or two games, then have to fly down to Tampa.

High of 45 and no rain.

Expos-Marlins 2003 at Sox Park.

With all of these postponements, the upcoming series in Oakland (late night games) and the off day Thursday, doesn't look like I'll be doing much baseball watching for the next week. Might be a good time to catch up with the minors and follow them for a little while.

And then you have for the 2nd week in a row all the warm weather teams playing each other...AGAIN. I get it's not easy to make these schedules...but for the love of cripes...it can't be rocket science to figure out how to mix it up so teams are playing in warmer weather climates at the beginning of April. There's enough teams.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 05:27 PM)
And then you have for the 2nd week in a row all the warm weather teams playing each other...AGAIN. I get it's not easy to make these schedules...but for the love of cripes...it can't be rocket science to figure out how to mix it up so teams are playing in warmer weather climates at the beginning of April. There's enough teams.

Nah...that would make to much sense!

I'm glad the entire weekend may be cancelled. These guys are going so bad right now they need to step away and take a break mentally.

QUOTE (InTheDriversSeat @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 12:56 AM)
There are only enough indoor stadiums and warm climate stadiums for 28 teams.

2 teams would have to play each other at a cold stadium.

This could be corrected by moving Twins games to the Vikings indoor stadium for the month of April.

Angels

Dodgers

A's

Mariners

Jays

D-Backs

Brewers

Astros

Rangers

Marlins

Rays

Giants

Padres

Braves

Then you'd have to play day games somewhere where it can be warm like Washington or even Colorado or something (odd to read that at first but it is a weird weather-wise. Has days where it can be warm during the day and snow during the night. Was in the 80s this week).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 06:33 AM)
Angels

Dodgers

A's

Mariners

Jays

D-Backs

Brewers

Astros

Rangers

Marlins

Rays

Giants

Padres

Braves

Then you'd have to play day games somewhere where it can be warm like Washington or even Colorado or something (odd to read that at first but it is a weird weather-wise. Has days where it can be warm during the day and snow during the night. Was in the 80s this week).

Except those teams won't accept 2-3 weeks of consecutive home games in April. They make more money at the gate in summer too.

The only way to fix the cold weather problem is for owners to give up home games and income which is impossible.

I live in Rochester, Mn, about 60 miles South of Twin Cities. We had rain all day yesterday, then about 3-4 inches of snow overnight and winds are gusting up to 45 mph. Today is supposed to be ice rain and Sunday more snow. Temps about 30. I highly doubt we get a game in.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 07:25 AM)
With what the weather is supposed to be like in MSP today, even if they could play in the football stadium, it probably would have been postponed. Dangerous driving conditions up to 15 inches.

That is correct, the city is going to be shut down.

I wonder even if they were able to play in the football stadium if MLB and the MLBPA would have allowed it. Like a lot of amateur fields now, there is no dirt anywhere. It is all turf, even the mound. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the venue was available.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 09:16 AM)
I wonder even if they were able to play in the football stadium if MLB and the MLBPA would have allowed it. Like a lot of amateur fields now, there is no dirt anywhere. It is all turf, even the mound. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the venue was available.

Yeah, I highly doubt anyone involved (Twins, MLB) would even entertain that idea on the spot. They would have to prepare the field and get approval from the league. Like the games in Williamsport or the field they built on the military base. Those fields had to be prepared to be Major League ready.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 10:00 AM)
Wouldn't be surprised if the Yankees-Tigers end up playing two on June 4th also.

Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati...not a good weekend for baseball.

I'm in Detroit. Yesterday was quite fine. 55 and dry.

Raining now and in the 40's. However, the radar looks clear by 2:30 or 3. If they want, they can get it in after a bit of a delay.

QUOTE (harkness @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 05:23 PM)
Why the Twins chose to have an outdoor only stadium seems like a pretty head scratching choice.

True, you'd think they'd have a retractable roof at least. Don't know about cost issues at the time with them but the people spoke. They wanted outdoor baseball and who can blame them? I would never want to go to a game indoors but I would accept it if I had to on a day they'd close the roof.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 12:46 PM)
It would be too late to do this now but you wonder if they ever entertained playing in Milwaukee, as the Brewers are out of town. Obviously the Twins want no part of that though.

I mentioned this in the beginning of the thread. Idea was immediately shot down...