Race for the worst 2018 record (Top 5 pick) again

caulfield12

On a day-to-day basis, I'd just like to see the Sox winning percentage stay at or under .333.

If 54-108 isn't enough for the first or second pick, oh well.

Looking at the June schedule, the Sox will probably have another single-digit win total. 7-22 wouldn't surprise me at all.

Big separation from 5 to 7- 5.5 games.

Five teams still on pace to lose 104+ games, but Fangraphs only has the Sox and Marlins losing 99.

100 games left. 40-60 will have the Sox finish 61-101. I'd take that...and it would be watchable if they win 40% of their remaining games.

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Sox have 3 more wins than Baltimore, the same amount of wins as Cincinnati/KC, and only one less win than Miami. At this pace they’ll have a top 8 pick, not a top 3 pick.

If Eloy and Kopech comes up we'll have a top 10 at best. Then again they might trade quite a few BP guys too

Edited by TheTruth05

Soria will definitely be gone if he keeps this up.  Rondon and Jones are 50/50 shots to be traded, and Avilan should be aggressively shopped, too.

They still have Fry, Cedeno with one more arb. year and Bummer.  No need for Andrew Miller at the overpay he will represent.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/standings/_/sort/pointdifferential/dir/desc/group/overall

White Sox much closer to Reds and Rangers than bottom 3 in the RS/RA differential category.

But now technically tied for Pick #4 with Marlins.   7 more against Indians in next two weeks.  CLE, Det, at CLE, at Oakland.

Edited by caulfield12

I'm all for trading relievers if we can get something decent, but if we're ever going to turn the corner in 2019 or 2020 we may need to look into extending some of these guys instead of trading them. Or retaining a guy like Soria.

We trade everybody away and next year when the games count, we'll be screwed with a bad bullpen.

1 minute ago, BrianAnderson said:

I'm all for trading relievers if we can get something decent, but if we're ever going to turn the corner in 2019 or 2020 we may need to look into extending some of these guys instead of trading them. Or retaining a guy like Soria.

We trade everybody away and next year when the games count, we'll be screwed with a bad bullpen.

No.  There are guys like Soria available every single year.  Hell we got him AND Avilian pretty much because we were willing to pay Soria.

At his age and injury history, do you really want to offer 2-3 more years to Soria?

Doing that with Nate, even crazier.   I do agree they should at least consider guys like Rondon and Cedeno.  Rondon under control through 2020.

You still have Burdi, Ian Hamilton, Vieira, Tyler Johnson....a gaggle between picks 11-15 this draft class like Bilious.

Edited by caulfield12

Soria is very replaceable and depending on how one feels about Jones' health so is he. If teams are interested in either or both then by all means trade them if the offer is right. As for Rondon I would hold onto him and see how he performs between now and July 2019. He's young enough to possibly be a part of the next contender and take the place if Jones. Avilan, I'm kinda torn on because I do like his arm but he's a FA after '19 so trading him next month wouldn't be a bad idea.

12 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Unless you pick Prior over Mauer, or Aiken/Kolek over Rodon...

Gotta feeling we'll be picking 7-8. Eloy will be up soon, plus  the rotation and bull pen are improving

whether we bring up Kopech and Stephens or not.

15 minutes ago, zisk said:

Gotta feeling we'll be picking 7-8. Eloy will be up soon, plus  the rotation and bull pen are improving

I think you're going to be disappointed on Eloy.  

18 minutes ago, zisk said:

Sox will likely play better than the .354 ball so far in 2018. I'd expect us to end up picking top 5 still though.

I don't think the Sox promote Eloy anytime too soon, especially without him seeing some time in AAA facing more experienced pitching. 

I think that no matter who the Sox trade, the Royals and Orioles will trade more players, and more significant ones.  The Sox may even get a little better as the season wears on due to guys getting experience and others being promoted.  I think pick number 3 is the best the Sox will have.  

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think you're going to be disappointed on Eloy.  

Correct. It's obvious Hahn is stalling. He's got one more chip. AAA. He'll stall as long as possible moving him to AAA, and when he does, he'll tell Eloy, 'son we just want to make the natural progression. Your big league debut is coming (next year; or maybe September call ups)." Remember, you don't want to anger Eloy. And he can't get upset about spending some time in AAA. Hahn just has to stall as long as possible moving him to AAA.

Edited by greg775

14 hours ago, greg775 said:

Correct. It's obvious Hahn is stalling. He's got one more chip. AAA. He'll stall as long as possible moving him to AAA, and when he does, he'll tell Eloy, 'son we just want to make the natural progression. Your big league debut is coming (next year; or maybe September call ups)." Remember, you don't want to anger Eloy. And he can't get upset about spending some time in AAA. Hahn just has to stall as long as possible moving him to AAA.

If he's going to come up in September, I hope he doesn't start the year on the MLB team next year. If you're going to call him up that late, you might as well wait until late April/May next year to get the extra year of control.

12 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

If he's going to come up in September, I hope he doesn't start the year on the MLB team next year. If you're going to call him up that late, you might as well wait until late April/May next year to get the extra year of control.

I have no issue calling up Eloy the third week of the 2019 season. He has performed well, but spending time in AAA will only help his overall development. 

• Thanks 1

Seeing as they kept Moncada down so long last year and Kopech this year I don't see them skipping Eloy to the majors. Eloy certainly has the talent, but they wont do it.

Kopech not being up is beyond me ... nobody in that rotation now is more important to the Sox future than the success of Kopech. If we are ever winning a world series Kopech is your ace. Might as well let him learn at the bigs.

15 hours ago, greg775 said:

I am fairly certain that we won't see Eloy in September if we haven't seen him before then.  It's becoming increasingly obvious (to me) that we won't see Eloy until May 2019.  Which I love.

If we do see him at all 2018, may as well get him up here ASAP.