55 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I don't think anybody thought  Covey would be this good. It seems like he turned his career around. Hopefully Fulmer and Giolito can turn there careers around also. 

He's gained some velocity there is a big difference between throwing 92 and 95 hopefully it sticks .

40 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Should see a rotation with Rodon, Kopech, Stephens, and Covey this year which is interesting

Rodon/Kopech/Stephens/Covey

Are you forgetting Lopez and Giolito.  Those two still have big roles in the future still

On 5/28/2018 at 3:04 PM, Hot FiRe said:

This is a big insult to my intelligence 

i think the bit you try to play is an insult to your intelligence.  TBH, i think you are a better poster than the greg parody you pretend to play

• Haha 1

Covey was rushed- by necessity.  Only 30 innings above A ball.  Gained some experience and he's, frankly, the Sox best pitcher right now (at least pitching the best).  Another excellent job of scouting another team's farm.

This  won't happen only with the top prospects:  we'll need a few to sprout out of the weeds.  Hopefully, he's one (and there are several other hopefuls).

Edited by GreenSox

36 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I will be first to admit i was wrong about Covey if what we are seeing is the real thing.   Last year was not encouraging at all, but what i am seeing from him this season is a total 180

Crazy that a guy whose two seamer has as good of a sink as his gave up 755 home runs last year.

I haven't watched any of his starts, but his stats on paper look great. Increased velocity, very high GB%, good K/BB ratio. He'll eventually give up some homers, but his peripherals are very encouraging. 

14 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I haven't watched any of his starts, but his stats on paper look great. Increased velocity, very high GB%, good K/BB ratio. He'll eventually give up some homers, but his peripherals are very encouraging. 

I know it is the eye test, but he looks much less afraid to pitch this year.  He was commanding the zone and pounding all four quadrants, seemingly on command.  Last year he pitched like he was afraid of contact, and that he didn't believe his stuff could get major league hitters out. 

Big test coming up for Dylan.

Btw, ERA’s heading into tonight:

Chris Sale, 5-3, 3.00 ERA, 110 K’s

Dylan Covey, 1-1, 2.82, 21 K’s 

Covey seeks back-to-back strong outings in his fifth start of the year.   The right-handler had a no-decision in his last start against Milwaukee despite allowing just one run — none earned — in five innings.  He struck out seven.   He’s never faced Boston.

Edited by caulfield12

On 6/4/2018 at 10:31 AM, GreenSox said:

Covey was rushed- by necessity.  Only 30 innings above A ball.  Gained some experience and he's, frankly, the Sox best pitcher right now (at least pitching the best).  Another excellent job of scouting another team's farm.

This  won't happen only with the top prospects:  we'll need a few to sprout out of the weeds.  Hopefully, he's one (and there are several other hopefuls).

Eh, that's debatable. I think Lopez has the slight edge

On 6/4/2018 at 9:04 AM, Kyyle23 said:

I will be first to admit i was wrong about Covey if what we are seeing is the real thing.   Last year was not encouraging at all, but what i am seeing from him this season is a total 180

In your defense, last year Covey wasn't sinking, tailing and cutting his fastball. At least not that I recall. Plus he's had an increase in velocity. ;)

4 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

In your defense, last year Covey wasn't sinking, tailing and cutting his fastball. At least not that I recall. Plus he's had an increase in velocity. ;)

oh yea, he is a completely different guy right now.   not sure where the velocity was last year but it makes all the difference in the world

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

oh yea, he is a completely different guy right now.   not sure where the velocity was last year but it makes all the difference in the world

Yeah, especially an increase with velocity and movement. He really is a different guy now. I'm happy to say I was just as wrong about Covey as anyone else.

3 hours ago, Dam8610 said:

Covey has 0.7 fWAR in 22.1 IP. Lopez has 0.8 fWAR in 71.0 IP. SSS, but Covey is currently pitching better.

Covey with a 95 mph tailing two seam fastball is a helluva pitcher.  His breaking ball was also sharp and his changeup was good enough as a third pitch, working off that really good fastball.

I cannot explain how he gained 4-5 ticks on his fastball (hey if it was that easy everybody would) but now that it's happened he's a completely different guy.  Someone said last year he was "afraid to attack" -- well yea.  Wouldn't you be with a 90 mph heater at the MLB level?

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Covey with a 95 mph tailing two seam fastball is a helluva pitcher.  His breaking ball was also sharp and his changeup was good enough as a third pitch, working off that really good fastball.

I cannot explain how he gained 4-5 ticks on his fastball (hey if it was that easy everybody would) but now that it's happened he's a completely different guy.  Someone said last year he was "afraid to attack" -- well yea.  Wouldn't you be with a 90 mph heater at the MLB level?

Dylan Covey averaged 93 last year on his fastball, and 94.7 this year according to fangraphs.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Could it be the other way around. Last year he was in over his head, lost confidence and was timid throwing. This year he has confidence and is letting tge ball just fly with confidence.

the sox saw enough in him to draft him as a rule 5 and keep him. I dont think it was a 90 fastball and poor off speed stuff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ptatc said:

Could it be the other way around. Last year he was in over his head, lost confidence and was timid throwing. This year he has confidence and is letting tge ball just fly with confidence.

the sox saw enough in him to draft him as a rule 5 and keep him. I dont think it was a 90 fastball and poor off speed stuff.

Didn't he have arm trouble in the year before we got him, when he was in the A's system. Sometimes it takes 2 full years to get back in the groove.