Comments: Covey entered the 2010 Draft season as one of the top prep arms in the class and his first showing at the UYA showcase did nothing to hurt his standing. He'd shown more fastball in the past, but no one doubted that would be there once the spring got going. His plus curve was working well, and he even showed the changeup a bit. It was a good start for Covey, who could very well be one of the top high school pitchers taken on Draft Day.
Enhanced Scouting Report

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2010/drafttracker.jsp

Source:  MLB.com (this is from the initial 1st round analysis of the 2010 draft)

Christian Colon, haha?   Skole’s brother was right in the mix (check out the comments on him), along with another SALE.  Also didn’t realize DeShields Jr. was selected by the Astros so high in the 1st.

Finally, guess the A’s feel (a little bit) better about losing Covey with Frankie Montas being 3-0 with a 1.25 ERA...of course, he’s got to do more than beat the Royals to convince anyone he’s for real, but his slider looks really nasty now.

Edited by caulfield12

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If Giolito busts, but Covey becomes a rotation mainstay, that kinda makes up for it. 

The way I look at it is if Cease busts out as a starter...that pretty much cancels out the bad Fulmer pick.

As long as those two for one’s or three for one’s (Basabe/Kopech/Moncada) pay off, things will work out.   Not even counting on or expecting much from Giolito at this point, but Lopez/Dunning are looking very good so far as well.

Without that HUGE injection of outside pitching talent...this rebuild would seem pretty darned bleak.  But now we’re going to have TWO Dylan C’s in one rotation, pretty cool!

DC Squared.  2DC or DC2.   Someone can come up with a more clever nickname later on.

“Interesting kid," said White Sox general manager Rick Hahn of Covey. "Up to 95 with some sink. Four-pitch mix. Obviously he's not a finished product but we think he has a chance to compete for a spot in our bullpen, or possibly even in the rotation.

"Long term, he has starter potential and we'll just have to wait and see how he looks when he gets to Glendale, [Ariz.]. But interesting arm, and we're interested in adding as much talent as we can to the organization. The Rule 5 Draft is another avenue to do that."

https://www.mlb.com/news/white-sox-add-dylan-covey-in-rule-5-draft/c-210673324

Edited by caulfield12

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Dylan Covey averaged 93 last year on his fastball, and 94.7 this year according to fangraphs.

After tonight's start, I wonder if that ticks to over 95 MPH average for 2018. 2+ MPH would be quite an improvement. I'm hoping Fangraphs, probably Jeff Sullivan, notices soon and we can get a deep dive in to the data.

2 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

After tonight's start, I wonder if that ticks to over 95 MPH average for 2018. 2+ MPH would be quite an improvement. I'm hoping Fangraphs, probably Jeff Sullivan, notices soon and we can get a deep dive in to the data.

After watching the game last night, I think the late movement in the strike zone is the big difference. The ball was moving enough that they couldnt get good contact.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

After watching the game last night, I think the late movement in the strike zone is the big difference. The ball was moving enough that they couldnt get good contact.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1005408274278207488?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

That’s a nasty two seamer and, if he can locate that pitch consistently, he’s going to be a very successful big league pitcher.

Like a lot of people my age, I have accumulated quite a few friends who are die hard Red Sox fans, partly because they never seem to die.  They all discount Covey's performance Friday, saying Cora put out a minor league lineup.  Next time they face Covey, Boston will have all the sluggers in lineup.  Blah, blah.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, flavum said:

Covey turns 27 in August.

Look at this guy's stats around the same age, and since...

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/klubeco01.shtml

You just never know.

This a great example of you never know. The Sox had seen something in Covey that nobody else did so they deserve some credit for sticking with him. IIRC, Arrieta was a late bloomer that didn't come around until the age of 27.

This is why at laughed at a post or two I've seen about Stephens being 25 already. As if that's somehow old, lol. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Like a lot of people my age, I have accumulated quite a few friends who are die hard Red Sox fans, partly because they never seem to die.  They all discount Covey's performance Friday, saying Cora put out a minor league lineup.  Next time they face Covey, Boston will have all the sluggers in lineup.  Blah, blah.

Lol, so what they're saying is that Betts and Martinez are surrounded by minor leaguers.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Really. His K:BB was slightly worse than Kopech and his WHIP was only .1 better. 

Lol. His walk rate is significantly better and .1 in WHIP is fairly significant.  His ERA is also 2.5 runs lower.  

Dude, I don't know what else to tell you. We clearly disagree.  I have no doubt that Kopech would be in the majors if the Sox were trying to win games at the ML level.  I have no doubt that he would be one of the best if the not the best pitcher in the our rotation if he were up right now.  But the Sox aren't trying to compete, and they're actually trying for the first time in my 28 years on this earth to not rush prospects and try to rebuild the right way.  A big part of that is not being dumb about service time for key players.  Kopech is a key player.  Covey, despite somehow now looking like a competent MLB pitcher, is not (though him being a solid mid rotation starter out of nowhere would be huge). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol. His walk rate is significantly better and .1 in WHIP is fairly significant.  His ERA is also 2.5 runs lower.  

Dude, I don't know what else to tell you. We clearly disagree.  I have no doubt that Kopech would be in the majors if the Sox were trying to win games at the ML level.  I have no doubt that he would be one of the best if the not the best pitcher in the our rotation if he were up right now.  But the Sox aren't trying to compete, and they're actually trying for the first time in my 28 years on this earth to not rush prospects and try to rebuild the right way.  A big part of that is not being dumb about service time for key players.  Kopech is a key player.  Covey, despite somehow now looking like a competent MLB pitcher, is not (though him being a solid mid rotation starter out of nowhere would be huge). 

I agree with everything you say except for the focus on service tine. They are past the Super 2 for the year. If they feel hes ready, he should come up.

Covey walk rate was lower as his strikeout rate. Kopechs ratio was better. 

3 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

If he has another good outing against Cleveland tonight I might have to join this bandwagon. I've been in the "he has improved, but he isn't this good" camp, but he hasn't shown signs of stopping yet. 

Even if he's bad tonight, I think we'll see a lot of "see, he's a fluke" stuff, but in reality, every good pitcher has a bad outing.

I think we need to let this play out for the remainder of the year before making any true declarations.