8 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Mr. Hahn, if you a reading this, I am willing to provide my scouting abilities to your team. It won't come at a cheap price however. Feel free to message me any time from 9 am to 5 pm. Don't lowball me.

Must feel good getting one right after how often and extremely you've been wrong about Abreu, huh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2018 at 2:52 AM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

After tonight's start, I wonder if that ticks to over 95 MPH average for 2018. 2+ MPH would be quite an improvement. I'm hoping Fangraphs, probably Jeff Sullivan, notices soon and we can get a deep dive in to the data.

I was actually going to ask in their chat what they thought of him. Just haven’t jumped on during one lately. 

For all the flip fanatics ... if Covey keeps this up (remember Humber was good for a while, too) are you wanting/dying to flip him at the deadline? I am of the opinion we are getting close to ending the rebuild and starting to contend, and we need some reliable pitchers, thus might want to hold onto Covey. Now if I was wrong about Soria and we can get a real prospect or two for him, I of course would be all for trading him. But when does the flipping end? Like I said if Covey keeps this up, he might be useful starter for our first contending team in the string of contending teams.

My guess is the flip-niks would want to trade Covey in the scenario I describe. Soria of course. Shields of course if they are worth anything. At what point do u wanna stop flipping and keeping and contending?

16 minutes ago, greg775 said:

For all the flip fanatics ... if Covey keeps this up (remember Humber was good for a while, too) are you wanting/dying to flip him at the deadline? I am of the opinion we are getting close to ending the rebuild and starting to contend, and we need some reliable pitchers, thus might want to hold onto Covey. Now if I was wrong about Soria and we can get a real prospect or two for him, I of course would be all for trading him. But when does the flipping end? Like I said if Covey keeps this up, he might be useful starter for our first contending team in the string of contending teams.

My guess is the flip-niks would want to trade Covey in the scenario I describe. Soria of course. Shields of course if they are worth anything. At what point do u wanna stop flipping and keeping and contending?

Considering he's looking like he could be our version of Arrieta or Kluber, but his track record is so short, there's no sense in dealing Covey. He won't return nearly the value he could provide as a TOR starter in a trade right now, because no one would pay TOR starter value for him. So keep him and hope for the best.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, greg775 said:

It would be foolish to flip Covey.

The only players people want to flip are vets or contracts nearing their end.

• Like 1

Humber never had the type of stuff/movement that Covey's showcasing right now....he got by mostly by guile and finesse, and was almost always in the low 90's and upper 80's.

Nobody's going to value him as "the next Jose Quintana" until he has at least a 2 year track record of excellence.

Kluber, for example (as mentioned), or Charlie Morton (although he's quite a bit older) would be examples of pitchers that suddenly elevated themselves from journeyman/pedestrian status into the upper echelon of the starting pitchers.  Dallas Keuchel would be yet another.

He's (now) arguably worth more than Avi Garcia was in the midst of his supposed breakout season last year, but the upside of trading him for prospects is far outweighed by the need for a pitcher like that for the 3-4-5 spots in the rotation (and maybe even 2, if he can sustain this over a couple more months.)

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Just now, Quinarvy said:

It would be foolish to flip Covey.

The only players people want to flip are vets or contracts nearing their end.

Not only would it be foolish for the Sox to flip Covey this soon, it would be equally foolish for a GM to buy in to this sample size. A trade for Covey now wouldn't get back anything CLOSE to the value it could get back if he continued his progression and is actually good now. And any GM willing to pay for that value on the assumption that he IS good now would be taking a big risk.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'm still not sure how you don't understand the concept of trading pieces during a rebuild. Covey is under control for 5 more years I believe? You truly are Forrest Gump

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Not only would it be foolish for the Sox to flip Covey this soon, it would be equally foolish for a GM to buy in to this sample size. A trade for Covey now wouldn't get back anything CLOSE to the value it could get back if he continued his progression and is actually good now. And any GM willing to pay for that value on the assumption that he IS good now would be taking a big risk.

See Tommy Kahnle.

I think you can see the growth in Dylan from last year to this year. It's a good sign for the young arms we have coming through the system that Dylan has developed a lot. I'm sure not many of us would have said last year we see Dylan Covey as a potential rotation starter moving forward.

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

Why do you always throw these little insults in your posts?  "Flip fanatics", "flip-niks".  Anyway, there's no reason to trade Covey.  He's more valuable to the Sox right now because be could certainly be part of the projected contending teams of 2020 and beyond.  If he's for real with the way he's been pitching, he's under team control through 2022.  He could be quite the find and an important part going forward.

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

Why do people keep responding to Greg’s posts? Either...

A. He’s the most clueless baseball fan alive, in which case it’s like arguing with a brick wall. Pointless. 

or...

B. This is just his schtick and he loves getting everyone all riled up. Also pointless to respond. 

There are no other possibilities. Perhaps we should just stop replying to his ridiculous posts, myself included. 

• Like 3

Steve McCatty changed his motion a bit in Charlotte. He started throwing a little harder with a bit more movement. This actually might last. Maybe not at the level we currently see it, but if he is anything but a long reliever, and you have to figure right now he certainly looks like a piece of a rotation, he's a shock. When I saw him last year I wondered WTF? They had to have 40 guys in their organization that had what he had. Not nowl

Edited by Dick Allen

7 hours ago, Hot FiRe said:

I'm still not sure how you don't understand the concept of trading pieces during a rebuild. Covey is under control for 5 more years I believe? You truly are Forrest Gump

I almost can't believe people are asking if we should try to trade Covey. He is looking more and more like a future piece of the rebuild.

A 26 year old solid starting pitcher is something we should develop and keep, not try to flip. 

• Like 2

Seriously, Covey is pre-Arb with 5 more years of control left.  He is right in line with the rest of the cost controlled talent despite being a few years older than other prospects.  There is no reason he can't be part of the rebuild going forward if he is actually this good. 

This is real gentlemen. He's striking people out, getting ground balls, pounding the strike zone....this is truly a pleasure to watch. It was easy to write him off last season, the Sox never really put him in a position to succeed. His stuff has been filthy though this year. Some of the gifs to come out of last night are pretty eye popping, his sinker looks a lot like Blake Treinen's.

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

We own his rights for five full seasons, but don't let that get in the way of a poor rant.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steveno89 said:

I almost can't believe people are asking if we should try to trade Covey. He is looking more and more like a future piece of the rebuild.

A 26 year old solid starting pitcher is something we should develop and keep, not try to flip. 

Not people, just greg.

1 hour ago, Dunt said:

This is real gentlemen. He's striking people out, getting ground balls, pounding the strike zone....this is truly a pleasure to watch. It was easy to write him off last season, the Sox never really put him in a position to succeed. His stuff has been filthy though this year. Some of the gifs to come out of last night are pretty eye popping, his sinker looks a lot like Blake Treinen's.

Not only is he doing it, but he's doing it against the likes of Milwaukee, Boston and Cleveland. All 1st place teams, 2 of which have the best records in their respective leagues.