5/29 Games

ScootsMcGoots

6 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

The writing is on the wall with Giolito and Rodon pitching on the same day. 

There is a level here that you really want to see.  Yes, I want to see both Lucas and Carson learning at the major league level because their talent level is going to be too much for a lot of AAA.  But when you get to the point where you aren't just struggling, but are fighting to get two innings in, that just destroys everyone else's jobs on the pitching staff and puts stress into the pen that they don't need.  If you are going to be here, you need to be going at least 5 innings in almost every start.  Otherwise the damage to the team is just too great, and you are pulling everyone else down with you.

20 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

Disagree.  I think Giolito needs to figure things up here.  Rodon/Lopez/Shields/Covey/Giolito, then Kopech comes up soon.

Who will Kopech replace then, assuming Rodon & Lopez stay healthy, Covey continues to pitch relatively well, and Giolito stays here?

21 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

There is a level here that you really want to see.  Yes, I want to see both Lucas and Carson learning at the major league level because their talent level is going to be too much for a lot of AAA.  But when you get to the point where you aren't just struggling, but are fighting to get two innings in, that just destroys everyone else's jobs on the pitching staff and puts stress into the pen that they don't need.  If you are going to be here, you need to be going at least 5 innings in almost every start.  Otherwise the damage to the team is just too great, and you are pulling everyone else down with you.

This is exactly the case. Giolito can't have anymore of the 2 inning outings. He needs to do his learning at the MLB level but it can't be at the expense of other players.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Couldn't agree more. IMHO Giolito is in the same boat as Fulmer. Neither are able to consistently find home plate and have been taxing on the pen. It can't be easy on the defense sitting out there on the field watching them try to find home plate pitch after pitch. The summer heat is here and those long innings will tax the defense as well.

I haven't given up on them but they clearly have to work on commanding their pitches. Fulmer was sent down for the same things Giolito is struggling with so I expect Giolito to go down when Rodon is ready. 

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Who will Kopech replace then, assuming Rodon & Lopez stay healthy, Covey continues to pitch relatively well, and Giolito stays here?

You make room.  Shields will get traded eventually.  Covey can go into long relief role too.

12 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

You make room.  Shields will get traded eventually.  Covey can go into long relief role too.

But if Covey continues to throw well, I think you have to leave him in the rotation and see if you found a diamond in the rough. As for Shields, I think it's wishful thinking to assume he gets dealt. Ideally, he will, but that's a large chunk of money for someone to take.

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Santiago is the swing man, Rodon is going to replace him in the rotation.  Who goes down and who gets dropped from the 40 man is anyone’s guess.

DFA Garneau and sign some random free agent catcher to a MiLB deal to make room on the 40-man. Or pick someone out of Volstad, Infante, Minaya to dfa.

Edited by soxfan2014

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

DFA Garneau and sign some random free agent catcher to a MiLB deal to make room on the 40-man. Or pick someone out of Volstad, Infante, Minaya to dfa.

After watching yesterday’s game, i’d DFA Gonzalez and bring Garneau up until Smith is ready.  That was a clinic of horribleness behind the plate.  

I didn’t mean to imply it was going to be hard to find someone to DFA.  The Sox have like 10 guys on their 40 man who no one would miss.

38 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

But if Covey continues to throw well, I think you have to leave him in the rotation and see if you found a diamond in the rough. As for Shields, I think it's wishful thinking to assume he gets dealt. Ideally, he will, but that's a large chunk of money for someone to take.

Shields will get traded.  Sox will eat the money and hopefully can get a deal like they did with Melky last year.  Puckett is a legit prospect, he's just hurt all year though.

7 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

Shields will get traded.  Sox will eat the money and hopefully can get a deal like they did with Melky last year.  Puckett is a legit prospect, he's just hurt all year though.

If he keeps pitching like this, they might even get a small something for him.

46 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Eat the money, see if you can get a prospect out of it. It's not like this franchise is going to be cash strapped this year.