2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

10 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Maybe Graeme Stinson is someone that could slip to the 2nd RD for us.

So far, Adley is the only player who a FV above 50, as he sits at a 60 FV.

That would make Adley the best offensive draft prospect since 2016's Corey Ray had a 60 FV.

And if you put Madrigal in this year's class, he would slot in #2 behind Adley with a 55 FV.

Are you using "offensive" as a descriptor for position player or literally offensive rating?

11 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Maybe Graeme Stinson is someone that could slip to the 2nd RD for us.

So far, Adley is the only player who a FV above 50, as he sits at a 60 FV.

That would make Adley the best offensive draft prospect since 2016's Corey Ray had a 60 FV.

And if you put Madrigal in this year's class, he would slot in #2 behind Adley with a 55 FV.

Those goofs were incredibly out over their skies on Madrigal. 

Alan
1:44
Too early to be asking draft intel on teams? Hearing anything with the White Sox at #3?

Kiley McDaniel
Hearing Vaughn and Misner, so seems like they're still leaning college bats, as they have in past years (Zack Collins, Jake Burger, Nick Madrigal)
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bmags said:
Alan
Too early to be asking draft intel on teams? Hearing anything with the White Sox at #3?

Kiley McDaniel
Hearing Vaughn and Misner, so seems like they're still leaning college bats, as they have in past years (Zack Collins, Jake Burger, Nick Madrigal)

Gosh that's shocking.

Anyway, are people talking about Vaughn as a serious option for KC at 2?

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Gosh that's shocking.

I haven't heard/read any intel yet on KC. Probably because it's so early still. At this point, looking at draft tendency/trends might be our best bet if we are trying to glean something.

I think grain of salt is required here.

On one hand, with the sox record you should place a high likelihood of a college position player as a pick. Lets say 66%

But on other hand kiley and eric have been off on the sox specifically. They had them on Swaggarty last year and Singer, and Kendell the year before that (along with jb bukauskas rumors). It has been college picks, it has not been what they've said.

Sox scouts are probably easy to pick out of the big college players now, where a trip to columbia, mo and nashville are easy for F.O. to make the trips to see a bunch of talent than sending them to high school tournaments where it may be less of an all in one trip. 

But...it's probably vaughn.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think grain of salt is required here.

On one hand, with the sox record you should place a high likelihood of a college position player as a pick. Lets say 66%

But on other hand kiley and eric have been off on the sox specifically. They had them on Swaggarty last year and Singer, and Kendell the year before that (along with jb bukauskas rumors). It has been college picks, it has not been what they've said.

Sox scouts are probably easy to pick out of the big college players now, where a trip to columbia, mo and nashville are easy for F.O. to make the trips to see a bunch of talent than sending them to high school tournaments where it may be less of an all in one trip. 

But...it's probably vaughn.

I'm in love with Vaughn right now. But I'm not sure it's love love, or just the comfort that he's probably the least fuck-up-able from a player development standpoint (Assuming Adley is gone).

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I'm in love with Vaughn right now. But I'm not sure it's love love, or just the comfort that he's probably the least fuck-up-able from a player development standpoint (Assuming Adley is gone).

I love him and think he’s a great fit for what the Sox need going forward. I totally get not drafting for need....but I see the importance for it given how this offseason has gone.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

I love him and think he’s a great fit for what the Sox need going forward. I totally get not drafting for need....but I see the importance for it given how this offseason has gone.

Yea. The need and fit is evident. 1B will be open. He shouldn't need tons of development time. The hit and power tools aren't in question. The batting eye is extremely sexy. Lord knows the Sox need some high OBP players. He wouldn't be a reach at #3 either.

Also, an aside. I know scouts think he's pretty much 1B only, but in the recent Baseball America article, Vaughn expresses confidence in the ability to play a 3B or OF. Probably a small chance that happens, but might be worth mentioning.

Edited by DirtySox

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

For me it's not about need or anything like that. It's just being scarred from sox drafting these college bats that don't improve as they progress, just stay the same so they end up in AAA as less productive versions of their college selves.

But there is a whole lot of vaughn that screams he will be an outlier, just nervewrecking there.

12 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Yea. The need and fit is evident. 1B will be open. He shouldn't need tons of development time. The hit and power tools aren't in question. The batting eye is extremely sexy. Lord knows the Sox need some high OBP players. He wouldn't be a reach at #3 either.

Also, an aside. I know scouts think he's pretty much 1B only, but in the recent Baseball America article, Vaughn expresses confidence in the ability to play a 3B or OF. Probably a small chance that happens, but might be worth mentioning.

If Vaughn can play 3B or LF, I am all-in on him. Really not hoping a 1B-only guy is the 3rd best player available come June.

21 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Gosh that's shocking.

I think that it is likely that the Royals go with Witt or Abrams due to them being farther away from having a critical mass of prospects. I think Vaughn will be there for the Sox. 

It isn't unlikely, actually, that Witt and Abrams could go 1-2 and Rutschman could fall into the Sox lap, just because of how far away the 2 teams ahead of the Sox are from competing. I didn't think of that until recently. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think that it is likely that the Royals go with Witt or Abrams due to them being farther away from having a critical mass of prospects. I think Vaughn will be there for the Sox. 

The Royals took five college arms in the first two rounds last year, I’m not sure I agree with your statement.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I would be very surprised if Vaughn or Adley aren’t available at 3

If Rutschman is available, that might be the easiest decision the Sox front office has ever made. 

The September losses were glorious.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flavum said:

If Rutschman is available, that might be the easiest decision the Sox front office has ever made. 

The September losses were glorious.

I would love for both Baltimore and KC to get cute with money, cutting deals to have monetary flexibility etc. Adley is the dream.

Carlos Collazo: A lot of Andrew Vaughn questions for good reason, so I'll tackle them all here. A month ago I would have told you that the only player in consideration to go 1-1 was Adley Rutschman, but based on the conversations I've had lately with guys who've seen Vaughn, there's a legitimate shot he could go there as well. I'd still consider Adley the favorite to get picked first because he has a great track record of hitting AND plays a position of value, but if Baltimore wants the best hitter and doesn't care about position? Sure, go for Vaughn. I don't think it would be crazy, though it would be one of the more unusual first overall picks recently simply because of the profile. I don't think he is going to play third base at the next level. He's a first baseman for me, and while he's not going to be an Evan White defender there I think he could be just fine. Just going off the numbers, Vaughn has been a better hitter than Bregman and Senzel in college and he's comparable to Bryant but with fewer strikeouts. I actually had an evaluator recently say he's on a Bryant-like tear, so that's a great call to bring him up.

Cwill (Chicago): Who do you think the Whitesox will draft

Carlos Collazo: It's early, but one of Adley Rutschman/Andrew Vaughn/Bobby Witt/C.J. Abrams.

Walt (UCSD): Can you foresee Andrew Vaughn slipping to the Padres at 6th, given that the industry is low on 1B only prospects.

Carlos Collazo: No. I would be shocked if he got passed the White Sox at three. I think his bat is special enough that people aren't going to care much that he's a first baseman.

Edited by DirtySox

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic