The White Sox have lost the most strikes in baseball

daggins

I've wanted a good defensive catcher for the young pitchers consistently, and obviously you hoped Castillo's improvement worked there. But it's bad and a bit counterintuitive. We are giving extended tryouts to maybe 2 backup catchers at the expense of the confidence of our young pitchers.

9 hours ago, daggins said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-most-and-least-team-friendly-strike-zones/

Combined, they've lost 134 strikes, due to horrid framing and bad luck on the batter side. Someone in the comments notes this equates to about two whole losses, just on lost strikes. 

You probably already knew this, but it's neat to see it quantified.

I blame umpires. Sure catchers are bad at framing but its not all on them. Umpires just suck. Their job is to call a strike when its a strike after all it crosses the plate before the catcher catches it. If umps have to rely on a catchers mitt to tell if its a strike then go to robots.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I blame umpires. Sure catchers are bad at framing but its not all on them. Umpires just suck. Their job is to call a strike when its a strike after all it crosses the plate before the catcher catches it. If umps have to rely on a catchers mitt to tell if its a strike then go to robots.

No doubt.

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Love how you say that so casually...you’re talking about a fraction of a fraction of a second to differentiate the 3 feet or so of where the ball crosses to where it hits the catchers glove. It’s just not realistic, the catchers need to their job so the umpire can do his 

There is also a component of this on the pitchers command.  If the catcher never has to move his mitt on a slightly off the edge pitch, he may get the call.  If the catcher sets up outside and has to dive/move significantly inside to catch a pitch, even  though it may be over the plate it will often be called a ball.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Love how you say that so casually...you’re talking about a fraction of a fraction of a second to differentiate the 3 feet or so of where the ball crosses to where it hits the catchers glove. It’s just not realistic, the catchers need to their job so the umpire can do his 

I think its plenty realistic . The ball isn't invisible , the plate isn't invisible.  The hitters do it and have to swing a bat to hit the ball. All an ump has to do is follow its path. Just put a microchip in the ball to follow its path if it's so hard for a person to do it. Or use  cameras . The technology exists. I have no idea how sophisticated pitch FX on game day is or any of the tech stuff on telecasts but i'm sure if MLB consulted with the right people it could easily be done and a lot cheaper than paying umps salaries and for their travel. The hardest part  probably would be calculating the low and high zones for each hitter . Maybe do measurement on the players like when you buy a tailored suit then factor in how those measurements change in your normal batting stance.

2 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

There is also a component of this on the pitchers command.  If the catcher never has to move his mitt on a slightly off the edge pitch, he may get the call.  If the catcher sets up outside and has to dive/move significantly inside to catch a pitch, even  though it may be over the plate it will often be called a ball.

Yes I have brought that up many times in the past when discussing pitch framing also  the pitchers reputation or even the hitters reputation. Look at Davidson. He has a rep as a K machine . Nothing before this year in his MLB career would suggest he has a good eye up there but he has made the adjustment but the umps haven't . With machines there are no reputations , no veteran or rookie treatment, just cold hard data.

6 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

It is their job.  Plain and simple.