Ending the stigma of mental illness

Jack Parkman

As many of you know, I have spoken many times about my experiences being Autistic. I'm here to talk about the other two issues I deal with, that I am not ashamed of, and I'm putting it out there. Along with Autism, I also deal with Bipolar disorder and Generalized Anxiety. Wil Wheaton wrote a piece about how GAD/clinical depression are the tag team champions of mental illness,. I'll share that article If those two are the tag team champions, when you add autism to the mix it really is the unholy trinity. I thought 'd share this with everyone, due to the recent suicides of Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade. If anyone has questions, feel free to add to the discussion and I'd be glad to answer anything. Open Forum. 

EDIT. Having a hard time finding Wil Wheaton's article again. Will keep trying. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

As many of you know, I have spoken many times about my experiences being Autistic. I'm here to talk about the other two issues I deal with, that I am not ashamed of, and I'm putting it out there. Along with Autism, I also deal with Bipolar disorder and Generalized Anxiety. Wil Wheaton wrote a piece about how GAD/clinical depression are the tag team champions of mental illness,. I'll share that article If those two are the tag team champions, when you add autism to the mix it really is the unholy trinity. I thought 'd share this with everyone, due to the recent suicides of Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spade. If anyone has questions, feel free to add to the discussion and I'd be glad to answer anything. Open Forum. 

EDIT. Having a hard time finding Wil Wheaton's article again. Will keep trying. 

Thanks JP...appreciate you being will to share. I will undoubtedlty continue to ask for your thoughts and experiences. 

I’ve both researched and battled depression myself. The key piece of healthy living is having someone to support and talk to you. Far too often people feel like they are left on an island with no way off. I could go on and on about the subject for hours but at the end of the day, I am personally available for anyone who needs it. I don’t give a fuck if I know you or not. You are not alone. I’ll gladly share my direct contact info with anyone who thinks they need it. There is nothing wrong with asking for help, in fact as someone who has been there, you should. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RockRaines said:

I’ve both researched and battled depression myself. The key piece of healthy living is having someone to support and talk to you. Far too often people feel like they are left on an island with no way off. I could go on and on about the subject for hours but at the end of the day, I am personally available for anyone who needs it. I don’t give a fuck if I know you or not. You are not alone. I’ll gladly share my direct contact info with anyone who thinks they need it. There is nothing wrong with asking for help, in fact as someone who has been there, you should. 

Right on, Rock. 

46 minutes ago, RockRaines said:

Rock, I know this.  Part of my issue is when I get into the hole, I go to people I trust and eventually they don't want to hear it anymore, because they have their own issues. I just need someone to talk to, but people generally don't want to hear the intense negativity, because it tends to drag them down with you. Especially if they care about you. It has come to the point where most of my support network doesn't want to hear my negativity anymore. I tell them it is only temporary, and I need to discuss how I'm feeling at the moment, but after 20+ years of dumping on them, it has gotten to that point. It is incredibly frustrating. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Rock, I know this.  Part of my issue is when I get into the hole, I go to people I trust and eventually they don't want to hear it anymore, because they have their own issues. I just need someone to talk to, but people generally don't want to hear the intense negativity, because it tends to drag them down with you. Especially if they care about you. 

Just like with AA and other recovery organizations, I am a big fan of peer counseling.  Sometimes only people who have fallen in the hole know how to help you crawl out.  Too many times for me back in the day, people just dismissed it as sadness.  Too many times people are told to "suck it up" or are blown sunshine over and over.  Really what you need is someone who understands and knows the dark days or moments you are facing.  And even then, sometimes thats not enough.

Anxiety has become more mainstream, where people are ok with wearing that badge.  Depression and other illnesses arent there yet.  Thats super unfortunate, and its one of the main reasons suicide is on the rise.  Giving up seems way easier.  i think more and more people just need to make themselves available.  Text, email, message board, whatever.  Just be available.

Is this the Wil Wheaton article JP mentioned?

http://wilwheaton.net/2018/05/my-name-is-wil-wheaton-i-live-with-chronic-depression-and-i-am-not-ashamed/

I've never dealt with depression myself, but I have several family members who have. My sister still struggles with it. She had a great job, and then over time fell into a depression/anxiety state that cost her everything. Job, house, friends, you name it.

The disease affects everyone who knows that person, too. What do you say? Will my sister ever be "normal" again? How aware is she of the effect this has on her loved ones? The questions are endless.

As a family member, I offer my support daily. I call. I text. I email. For ten years, it hasn't seemed to make a difference. I just hope she doesn't give up. I know I haven't. 

14 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Is this the Wil Wheaton article JP mentioned?

http://wilwheaton.net/2018/05/my-name-is-wil-wheaton-i-live-with-chronic-depression-and-i-am-not-ashamed/

I've never dealt with depression myself, but I have several family members who have. My sister still struggles with it. She had a great job, and then over time fell into a depression/anxiety state that cost her everything. Job, house, friends, you name it.

The disease affects everyone who knows that person, too. What do you say? Will my sister ever be "normal" again? How aware is she of the effect this has on her loved ones? The questions are endless.

As a family member, I offer my support daily. I call. I text. I email. For ten years, it hasn't seemed to make a difference. I just hope she doesn't give up. I know I haven't. 

Yeah, that is it. Thanks. The most dangerous part for people is when you're at your lowest point. If you can start to feel better, you can get out. Bipolar is different than chronic depression because of the severe mood swings. One moment you feel invincible, the next you feel hopeless. Sometimes you go through both states on the same day unmedicated. Medication isn't a cure per se either, it just mitigates the mood swings. You still have the swings, but they are just once every few months instead of multiple times per month. 

Edited by Jack Parkman