2018-2019 Official NBA thread

23 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

Listening to The Stepien's podcast - they said that Carter could end up one of the most valuable picks in the draft due to consistency and the ability to compliment.

He'll fit well with Lauri, that's for sure.

Who is he complimenting other than Lauri?  We already have a bunch of role players, we need guys with superstar potential.  Playing it safe is a terrible idea IMO.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He was so overshadowed by Bagley that he tended to become a bit stagnant and float around the perimeter as a secondary scoring option.  He’s not flashy, he’s a solid pick for sure, but I can also understand fans wanting a game changer.   He’s certainly not going to sell any tickets by himself, for some reason he reminds me of Drew Gooden, actually.

But there weren't any other game changers at 7 for us without injury risk. We also probably didn't want to risk another high pick next year to jump up. 

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Who is he complimenting other than Lauri?  We already have a bunch of role players, we need guys with superstar potential.  Playing it safe is a terrible idea IMO.

Porters medicals must be horrible since he is still on the board. Unless they were going to trade up, they wound up with no choice. A nice player, but so was Kirk Hinrich originally. 

But they are stuck. They cannot attract the premium free agents, and won’t draft high enough to get a top pick. NBA hell it is.

it is a total Bulls move. They need to move on from GarPax. They need a different line of thought.

Edited by Dick Allen

The Clippers just passed on Porter twice - they supposedly loved him. Ouch. Man, take Faried's money + #22 and nab Porter.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Dunn, Lavine. He can pass and shoot without a lot of touches.

The Bulls should have traded up for Doncic if they could have, but at this point something is up with MPJ. This is coming from a Mizzou fan. Lauri is your hopeful star.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Porters medicals must be horrible since he is still on the board. Unless they were going to trade up, they wound up with no choice. A nice player, but so was Kirk Hinrich originally. 

But they are stuck. They cannot attract the premium free agents, and won’t draft high enough to get a top pick. NBA hell it is.

it is a total Bulls move. They need to move on from GarPax. They need a different line of thought.

If you want to complain about NBA hell, it was the horrible trades like butler and McDermott.

Or maybe they should have lost more games for doncic or ayton.

Selecting Carter at 7 isn't the problem. 

Edited by Soxbadger

6 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

If you want to complain about NBA hall, it was the horrible trades like butler and McDermott.

Or maybe they should have lost more games for doncic or ayton.

Selecting Carter at 7 isn't the problem. 

As I wrote, they wound up with no choice. They do seem content with these kinds of picks. Has Gar mentioned they couldn’t believe he still was available yet?The problem is they have to find a way to get stars. Free agency? Please. Now look at them, they will be good enough if they stay healthy to draft in the teens, so maybe they improve some after this year, but certainly not enough to contend for a title. They need someone else making decisions.

Edited by Dick Allen

Just now, Dick Allen said:

As I wrote, they wound up with no choice. They do seem content with these kinds of picks. The problem is they have to find a way to get stars. Free agency? Please. Now look at them, they will be good enough if they stay healthy to draft in the teens, so maybe they improve some after this year, but certainly not enough to contend for a title. They need someone else making decisions.

Well they gotta swing for the fences and try for porter now. Unless hes just so damaged.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Exactly.  I’m sure Carter will be a solid to good starting C, but he will never be a star and we just used our last good chip to get one on him.  Our entire rebuild strategy was an absolute joke.  We traded Butler for two talented, but flawed semi-developed players and a pick swap.  Markkanen was obviously a terrric draft choice, but we were always going to need another star (at minimum) and were probably only going to have one good chance because of the assets we got for Butler.  Unfortunately we didn’t tank hard enough last year and we ended up one pick short of getting a guy with superstar potential.  I would be surprised if we picked in the top 10 next year with our core.

10 minutes ago, Quinarvy said:

The Clippers just passed on Porter twice - they supposedly loved him. Ouch. Man, take Faried's money + #22 and nab Porter.

Dunn, Lavine. He can pass and shoot without a lot of touches.

The Bulls should have traded up for Doncic if they could have, but at this point something is up with MPJ. This is coming from a Mizzou fan. Lauri is your hopeful star.

We will never be serious contenders with one star.  That is the definition of NBA hell.

I like how on this board Bamba is a star and Carter is nothing. 

Bamba has a long way to get on offense, there is a good chance hes nothing more than a defensive big man. Carter could legitimately turn into an All-Star.

But I guess that people dont notice things like, Carter just turned 19. He has grown the last 3 years. 

Well see how this turns out, but there were only a few of us who liked Lauri last year too.

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Bamba has a long way to get on offense, there is a good chance hes nothing more than a defensive big man. Carter could legitimately turn into an All-Star.

But I guess that people dont notice things like, Carter just turned 19. He has grown the last 3 years. 

Well see how this turns out, but there were only a few of us who liked Lauri last year too.

Well said, Badger.

I think if I’m the last few years of baseball and basketball has taught us anything it’s that we don’t know the ceiling of players. At all.

watching these awful games this year, the player type of Carter is not ideal. But the “so and so is just X” will get you burned. Dude is 19. You get lucky.

i just so wish we could have missed that flipping coin and had Doncic. Kills me.

14 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Bamba is a potential star.  And no one here has said Carter is a nothing.  He’s a very safe pick with the upside of being a good (not great) starting center.  You continue to evaluate the pick in insolation and ignore the broader consequences.  We now have a core that should be good enough to draft in the teens.  Our only realistic way to get a star now is through free agency.  I hope Benny’s got those balloons ready, because we now have to pull off a free agency miracle to avoid NBA hell.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Bamba is a potential star.  And no one here has said Carter is a nothing.  He’s a very safe pick with the upside of being a good (not great) starting center.  You continue to evaluate the pick in insolation and ignore the broader consequences.  We now have a core that should be good enough to draft in the teens.  Our only realistic way to get a star now is through free agency.  I hope Benny’s got those balloons ready, because we now have to pull off a free agency miracle to avoid NBA hell.

There is the potential that we also just get enough good young assets they can be spun for a star. Requires Markannen/Lavine yo be a star though. And bulls FO not to fall in love with their own talent.