2018-2019 Official NBA thread

1 hour ago, bmags said:

KC Johnson has made sure we all know that we are still not planning to sign anyone good, as we are onto the 2022 plan.

I don't think this is a bad idea for the Bulls. Get short-term vets in now while keeping all the flexibility down the road (whether acquiring individuals via trade and/or free agency).  I am curious to see what they do with Brogdon.  He seemed to be the only guy that they might look at who could take up long-term cap space, otherwise I expect any deal is 2 years or less (i.e., for Taj or Beverly (looking less likely given how much demand their will be for his services).  

24 minutes ago, Brian said:

What would Knicks fans do if both Kyrie and KD sign with NJ?

Be very confused as NJ no longer exists.

But jokes aside, they'll be extremely mad. Knicks fans still act like they own the city.

9 minutes ago, Quin said:

Be very confused as NJ no longer exists.

But jokes aside, they'll be extremely mad. Knicks fans still act like they own the city.

I'll accept my fine. lol

That is how much the Nets mean to me. I'd take D'Angelo Russell over Kyrie though.

• Haha 1

That’s pretty interesting. It would be nice to have a reliable scorer off bench but wouldn’t want to devote half the available leftover cap to him. Rather toward wings/athletic forwards

I like Julius Randle but I don't necessarily love the fit. That said, WCJ is still very unproven and there are plenty of front-court minutes to go around. I'm presuming Randle will want more years than I'd like. If he would take a 3 yr deal which is really a 2+1 (where the team can do a buyout), I would be open to it. Don't love the idea of tying him up longer than that.  

Any reports on Bobby Portis? I know he wasn't happy when Bulls traded him but he's still made some recent references.  I would think Bulls might have some appetite to bring him back as a bench guy too (maybe his contract demands have came down).  Again, I'm not going longer than 2 years unless Bulls think they can get a big fish (and currently I don't see that happening, albeit, they now can from a cap perspective, now that they got the relief from Asik).  Could go all the way to a max for a Durant type players as long as they stretch Felicio and move one of Dunn/Valentine. Not proposing or saying any of it will happen though.

Paxson clearly wants to surround the Bulls young players with quality veterans and / or other good young players (who have a couple years in the league) in a push to get this team better so that they can be in a position where they can trade and or sign other free agents (once they've hit a point where they are at least back to being a playoff team). I think they recognize they can't do anything major until they hit that point and actually their overall roster design looks quite nice...but team as currently constructed is still way too young to be a playoff team, imo.  If they don't land some pretty darn good veterans, I would still expect them to be a lottery team (which might not be a bad thing given the new lottery structure).  

This will be my optimistic post of the day. I've bashed Dunn a lot this past season (after he surprised me a season ago...dude was playing great ball before he whacked his head on that dunk) but he did miss 30+ games last year.  With all of the injuries and the changes in style of play, he could be a guy that takes a big step forward with a good off-season. I wouldn't bet on it, but I could come up with good reasons why he had challenges last year.  

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I like Julius Randle but I don't necessarily love the fit. That said, WCJ is still very unproven and there are plenty of front-court minutes to go around. I'm presuming Randle will want more years than I'd like. If he would take a 3 yr deal which is really a 2+1 (where the team can do a buyout), I would be open to it. Don't love the idea of tying him up longer than that.  

Any reports on Bobby Portis? I know he wasn't happy when Bulls traded him but he's still made some recent references.  I would think Bulls might have some appetite to bring him back as a bench guy too (maybe his contract demands have came down).  Again, I'm not going longer than 2 years unless Bulls think they can get a big fish (and currently I don't see that happening, albeit, they now can from a cap perspective, now that they got the relief from Asik).  Could go all the way to a max for a Durant type players as long as they stretch Felicio and move one of Dunn/Valentine. Not proposing or saying any of it will happen though.

Paxson clearly wants to surround the Bulls young players with quality veterans and / or other good young players (who have a couple years in the league) in a push to get this team better so that they can be in a position where they can trade and or sign other free agents (once they've hit a point where they are at least back to being a playoff team). I think they recognize they can't do anything major until they hit that point and actually their overall roster design looks quite nice...but team as currently constructed is still way too young to be a playoff team, imo.  If they don't land some pretty darn good veterans, I would still expect them to be a lottery team (which might not be a bad thing given the new lottery structure).  

One other thought, but if the Bulls land a Randle or Brogdon, as long as the contracts aren't overblown, those can be guys leveraged in sign & trades or deals with other squads to push the Bulls to the next level. To me the Bulls only chance at being a top flight squad is to have a lot of quality pieces who can develop into a quality team, with a portion of those pieces that can than be flipped for bigger fish.  I have confidence in front office doing the first part (I think Paxson knows how to build quality squads through the draft...the challenge is whether at that point, he can hit big on landing the star players necessary to make the team a true contender.  

I miss basketball so much...it has truly evolved into my favorite sport. Can't wait to watch some summer league. Might even see if I can take a road trip and bring the kids to watch some of the games.  Presume prices are more reasonable than an NBA game.  

There is a lot of cap space, but almost 40% of the league is free agents. 

If I could guess one position that will end up getting far less than they expected its the tweener, offensive 4s like Randle/Portis.

Maybe they will be way cheaper than we expected.

I do not understand why nba teams always bail out the richest, luckiest teams at the peak of their team building desperations at such low costs.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27068842/sources-lakers-ship-3-wiz-open-max-space

Like what? All of those dudes are terrible, you could have bought a 2nd round pick next year for less in cash, and you sent money? GTFO washington

On 6/27/2019 at 2:17 PM, Chisoxfn said:

I have a really hard time guessing what an appropriate price tag for Portis would be. Then again, in the NBA it's almost always hard to figure out what to pay guys who aren't at either the top or bottom of the market.

On 6/27/2019 at 2:20 PM, Chisoxfn said:

This will be my optimistic post of the day. I've bashed Dunn a lot this past season (after he surprised me a season ago...dude was playing great ball before he whacked his head on that dunk) but he did miss 30+ games last year.  With all of the injuries and the changes in style of play, he could be a guy that takes a big step forward with a good off-season. I wouldn't bet on it, but I could come up with good reasons why he had challenges last year.  

There was a point in time last year where it looked like he had really taken a step forward. Hit some clutch shots, was showing some ability to score in isolation situations. I will give him big credit that he has fixed a major flaw in his game: free throw shooting. When we acquired him, it looked like his free throw shooting would undermine any chance to be an efficient scorer. Going from 61% to 80% in so small feat (he was about 69% in college).

10 hours ago, Jake said:

I have a really hard time guessing what an appropriate price tag for Portis would be. Then again, in the NBA it's almost always hard to figure out what to pay guys who aren't at either the top or bottom of the market.

There was a point in time last year where it looked like he had really taken a step forward. Hit some clutch shots, was showing some ability to score in isolation situations. I will give him big credit that he has fixed a major flaw in his game: free throw shooting. When we acquired him, it looked like his free throw shooting would undermine any chance to be an efficient scorer. Going from 61% to 80% in so small feat (he was about 69% in college).

I wouldn’t give Portis more than a mid level exception if I was a team.

Dunn regressed on defense and the worst thing about him is he’s a pg that doesn’t appear to make anyone else around him better. And he is old.