GT: Indians @ White Sox - 7:10/8:10ET

Eminor3rd

Just now, greg775 said:

What a small crowd. It's pretty obvious only the die-hards attend games. 15,000 or so I'd say.

On the WS Talk Podcast, Brooks said their season ticket sales this year was same total as 2016 and 2017 combined. I say there's no chance that's accurate 

5 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Jason and Stoney remain a great duo. I wonder if Hawk ever listens and thinks, "Damn. Stone Pony is WAY better with somebody besides grumpy ol me."

I like Jason -- don't love him. He's likable, but he has some tendencies that annoy me. I suppose he's also still figuring out his craft. 

Stone is the best. The absolute cream of the crop. 

Edited by Richie

2 minutes ago, Richie said:

I am really happy that I don't have to exist underneath a giant magnifying glass from anyone in my life -- like the one you hold directly over Yoan 24/7. I'd probably lose my mind. 

Just saying...

He’s hitting like .215 over his last 120 at bat’s or so. That’s not a giant magnifying glass. When he swings the bat, he hits it. If I were him, or any major leaguer, I’d likely swing at the straight ones right down the middle.

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Easy. It's difficult to hit a baseball. May be hardest thing in sports. That homer was crushed.

It’s especially hard when you don’t swing. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

He’s hitting like .215 over his last 120 at bat’s or so. That’s not a giant magnifying glass. When he swings the bat, he hits it. If I were him, or any major leaguer, I’d likely swing at the straight ones right down the middle.

It’s especially hard when you don’t swing. 

Dude, when you are active and posting in a game-thread. You criticize EVERY single AB he has with a GIANT magnifying glass. Not just that -- very OFTEN you criticize LITERALLY every pitch he takes, swings at or HOW he swings at the pitches he chooses to.

Well, maybe I shouldn't say EVERY AB. You do (sometimes) conveniently ignore the AB's that he does well in. (Example: 1st AB of this game *crickets* and then coming back around immediately when he fails)

That is utterly ridiculous my man. Especially in a sport where even the best players fail 7 out of 10 times and prolonged slumps happen to EVERY player -- it's an absurd thing to do. Nobody can possibly live up to that type of spotlight. I could spotlight Abreu like that and it would wind-up being 70% criticism. I could have also treated Abreu like this early on in the season (when he was less than stellar) just as you are treating Moncada now. Do you think that's fair? It's not. 

If I were him, or any major leaguer, I’d likely swing at the straight ones right down the middle.

How impossibly dense are you? These guys are up there seeing starting pitchers with an arsenal four different pitches, all which move in different directions and at different speeds. With fastballs up to 100 MPH. They have a micro-fraction of a second to recognize what that pitch is and THEN they still have to decide to pull the trigger. Being fooled by a fastball, when you are expecting off-speed (AGAIN) happens to the best of players. 

He's a young player who is 500 AB's into his career, still figuring things out and is 1 for 2 with a HR tonight. Just watch the damn game and quit your whining already. We've GOT IT... We understand your position on Yoan. It's ENOUGH dude. Seriously. Goodness gracious.  

Edited by Richie
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Richie said:

Dude, when you are active and posting in a game-thread. You criticize EVERY single AB he has with a GIANT magnifying glass. Not just that -- very OFTEN you criticize LITERALLY every pitch he takes, swings at or HOW he swings at the pitches he chooses to.

Well, maybe I shouldn't say EVERY AB. You do (sometimes) conveniently ignore the AB's that he does well in. (Example: 1st AB of this game *crickets* and then coming back around immediately when he fails)

That is utterly ridiculous my man. Especially in a sport where even the best players fail 7 out of 10 times and prolonged slumps happen to EVERY player -- it's an absurd thing to do. Nobody can possibly live up to that type of spotlight. I could spotlight Abreu like that and it would wind-up being 70% criticism. I could have also treated Abreu like this early on in the season (when he was less than stellar) just as you are treating Moncada now. Do you think that's fair? It's not. 

If I were him, or any major leaguer, I’d likely swing at the straight ones right down the middle.

How impossibly dense are you? These guys are up there seeing starting pitchers with an arsenal four different pitches, all which move in different directions and at different speeds. With fastballs up to 100 MPH. They have a micro-fraction of a second to recognize what that pitch is and THEN they still have to decide to pull the trigger. Being fooled by a fastball, when you are expecting off-speed (AGAIN) happens to the best of players. 

He's a young player who is 500 AB's into his career, still figuring things out and is 1 for 2 with a HR tonight. Just watch the damn game and quit your whining already. We've GOT IT... We understand your position on Yoan. It's ENOUGH dude. Seriously. Goodness gracious.  

When I’ve posted about Moncada over the last few weeks, it’s been in regards to Renteria being ridiculous and not giving him a day off. When a player struggles for an extended period of time, he should get a day off. 

Next, you should probably check these posts. It’s @fathom criticizing his every AB, talking about his hips flying open, etc, not me, but that would of course require reading.

By the way, “*crickets*?” Seriously? I said “love what he did in his first at bat” but again, nice literacy.

Lastly, you have no idea my stance on Moncada. I don’t care about Engel, Narvaez, Shields, etc but I do wish nothing but success for Sanchez, Moncada, and the rest of the core. Watching a player, no matter how young, see their OPS and AVG dip significantly over the last month is not only worrisome but it does deserve negative commentary. How many posters were tearing Engel apart in April and May with significantly less than 500 PA’s? Was that okay?

If you don’t like opinions when young players stink, or you believe someone is above criticism, unfollow myself and any other poster who doesn’t fit your rainbows and butterflies mindset.

Edited by soxfan49

40 minutes ago, Richie said:

I like Jason -- don't love him. He's likable, but he has some tendencies that annoy me. I suppose he's also still figuring out his craft. 

Stone is the best. The absolute cream of the crop. 

Stoney has gotten old and confused. Benetti is not one bit clever or funny but will be around for 30 years or so. I wish they would shut it with the donation requests. 

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Is that Robin Ventura like bat wave pre-pitch thing TA is doing new?

All I know is he's forgot how to hit a slider over the last two weeks. Let him get another day off tomorrow or Thursday against tough righties.

Bad swing, that ball wasn't even close to being a strike

1 minute ago, fathom said:

All I know is he's forgot how to hit a slider over the last two weeks. Let him get another day off tomorrow or Thursday against tough righties.

Him and Yoan floating around the 720 OPS, like to see that raise up to 750 or better come July.

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

When I’ve posted about Moncada over the last few weeks, it’s been in regards to Renteria being ridiculous and not giving him a day off. When a player struggles for an extended period of time, he should get a day off. 

Next, you should probably check these posts. It’s @fathom criticizing his every AB, talking about his hips flying open, etc, not me, but that would of course require reading.

Lastly, you have no idea my stance on Moncada. I don’t care about Engel, Narvaez, Shields, etc do, but I do wish nothing but success for Sanchez, Moncada, and the rest of the core. Watching a player, no matter how young, see their OPS and AVG dip significantly over the last month is not only worrisome but it does deserve negative commentary. If you don’t like that or you believe someone is above criticism, unfollow myself and any other poster.

Many others see it and I'll just leave it at that. You do this every night that you're active on the board. 

I legitimately like your posts outside of the Moncada stuff. This isn't a personal thing. I have no reason to unfollow you. If you were a friend I watched games with at a bar, I'd say the same thing. We all have our real-life friends who suck the life out of everything with their negative BS surrounding an athlete or sports teams. "We're gonna blow it... We'll lose next week..."... etc... It's a drain... but it doesn't mean I dislike anyone. 

or you believe someone is above criticism

Lol... Oh, the melodrama. I commented on Moncada's struggles myself before the game even started, so give it a rest. Will ya? There is a HUGE gap between being "above criticism" and the type of microscopic criticism you give Moncada on a nightly basis. You've been doing it since the very beginning of the season when I began posting here. All the way through the time when his numbers were spiking and now again when he's regressed a bit. 

It's draining... He homers = no comment. Next AB is a K = "Well, he deserves some criticism!"... uh... does he? Is it really necessary? No, not really. At least, if you feel that way; be consistent and comment when he hits the homer too. 

Watching a player, no matter how young, see their OPS and AVG dip significantly over the last month is not only worrisome but it does deserve negative commentary

Again... big difference between commentary and what you do. You did this prior to this past month as well. Is it really a cause for worry? Was Paul Goldschmidt starting out the year looking like a AAA 1st baseman a big worry? No. Especially with a player Yoan's age. Ups-and-downs are a part of it. Guys like Trout and Hoskins have created this false narrative that they are what top prospects should be doing upon arriving in the MLB. When typically, it's two steps forward, one step back... until it either clicks and he breaks out or it doesn't. What's happening with Yoan is completely normal for many players who have gone onto have phenomenal careers. 

Also, pertaining to Fathom... I never said you were alone. Yoan gets both criticized and/or praised here every day. However, you do stand-out more than most. That's all... moving on... got nothing against you.  

30 minutes ago, Richie said:

Give this man a damn medal!!!