6/14 Games

joejoedairy

• bmags pinned this topic
11 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

Jose Rodriguez 3-4 with a 2B. This guy is looking legit... Somebody mentioned him yesterday in the minor league thread. Only 17 years old and plays SS.Hitting .413 in 11 games so far.

And with a pretty nice .160 iso at that age. Said it before but the average and stuff may just be hot streak, but the power has been consistent. Always exciting.

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

With a wood bat.

Also a really great point I hadn't thought about before.  I wonder how much of an edge these kids coming out of LA get because they are using wooden bats from Day 1, unlike their American high school and college counterparts?

48 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Also a really great point I hadn't thought about before.  I wonder how much of an edge these kids coming out of LA get because they are using wooden bats from Day 1, unlike their American high school and college counterparts?

I think that is one thing, but also underrated in the LatAm dominance of top prospects recently is it's possible professional development has gotten better the last decade, and those players receive 2 additional years training at the highest level at least compared to stateside players.

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Yeah, I've done some basic googling and I can't seem to find anything. Also doesn't help that he has such a generic name. I just hit up Jesse Sanchez on twitter to see if he has any info.

Was just about to say that. Lenyn Sosa? Pretty easy to search for. Jose Rodriguez? Sounds like a guy Wilder made up to pocket a bonus. 😉

Only thing I can find on this kid was actually on Soxtalk posted by GenericUserName, that he was signed last Feb, and wasn't even a $300K signing.

But it's also interesting that the team has batted him 3rd since day one, despite the fact that he's barely 17, which shows that the organization is pretty high on him. He's struck out on the first AB of the season, and struck out for the 2nd time today. That's 42 PA's without a strikeout, pretty impressive even for DSL.

8 minutes ago, flavum said:

Kopech being close to the majors is laughable...other than he’s in AAA.

I'm sure others will disagree, but sometimes I wish the Sox had him and Rodon just focus on perfecting their fastball command and slider instead of being so focused on developing a change up.  Just looked it up, and Kluber basically has two versions of his fastball and two of his slider. Besides that, he throws change up only 6 pct of time (1 pct to righties).  What he's done though is perfected his command of the pitches.

Edited by fathom

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

I'm sure others will disagree, but sometimes I wish the Sox had him and Rodon just focus on perfecting their fastball command and slider instead of being so focused on developing a change up.

I would agree. However, someone like Kopech will need to completely change his style of pitching and im not sure that will happen until he truly fails with it. He talked  in the offseason about throwing the fastest pitch ever. Instead of focusing on velocity,he needs to learn how to pitch.

For all the issues  discussed here he didnt give up a run.

• bmags unpinned this topic