6/20 Games- KOPECH NIGHT!!

soxfan49

Just now, fathom said:

Hopefully this gun is slow. If not, 96 has been his max so far.

From my experience watching the Charlotte feed it's usually about 1-2 MPH slow.  But the last Jordan Stephens start I watched he was sitting 87-88 so I'm starting to think it might even be a bit slower lately. 

Just now, mac9001 said:

From my experience watching the Charlotte feed it's usually about 1-2 MPH slow.  But the last Jordan Stephens start I watched he was sitting 87-88 so I'm starting to think it might even be a bit slower lately. 

Yep remember the slow gun from watching Giolito last year

Legit smallest zone ever. Meanwhile the great Grudz makes the starting pitcher and catcher have to fight their own battles. Same crap he pulled last year.  He is a horrible manager.

As for Kopech, it's easy to see where the struggles with command have happened. When he stays on top, his command isn't bad and velocity around 96. When he tries to throw up in the zone, he gets under the ball and its way high and out of zone and velocity around 92-94.

Edited by fathom

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Legit smallest zone ever. Meanwhile the great Grudz makes the starting pitcher and catcher have to fight their own battles. Same crap he pulled last year.  He is a horrible manager.

As for Kopech, it's easy to see where the struggles with command have happened. When he stays on top, his command isn't bad and velocity around 96. When he tries to throw up in the zone, he gets under the ball and its way high and out of zone and velocity around 92-94.

Thanks for updating us on tonight's game. If Kopech is trying to pitch into a tea cup he's bound to have a rough outing. Plus, I see chicken Alfredo is catching him tonight. The cards are stacked against Kopech tonight.

3 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

Thanks for updating us on tonight's game. If Kopech is trying to pitch into a tea cup he's bound to have a rough outing. Plus, I see chicken Alfredo is catching him tonight. The cards are stacked against Kopech tonight.

He's throwing a ton of fastballs. sliders haven't been close enough to the zone to get chases. In terms of pitching in the majors, he better learn to pitch effectively up in the zone if he's not going to have other-worldly velcoity. 95 at the belt being the only pitch you command is going to get hit very hard.  I've seen him throw at least 7 pitches 91-92 helmet high today.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

He's throwing a ton of fastballs. sliders haven't been close enough to the zone to get chases. In terms of pitching in the majors, he better learn to pitch effectively up in the zone if he's not going to have other-worldly velcoity. 95 at the belt being the only pitch you command is going to get hit very hard.  I've seen him throw at least 7 pitches 91-92 helmet high today.

That's a big velocity drop for Kopech. I think he's going through a dead arm period. I'd like to see them skip a start to give his arm a rest and see how he comes back from it.

8 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

That's a big velocity drop for Kopech. I think he's going through a dead arm period. I'd like to see them skip a start to give his arm a rest and see how he comes back from it.

It's the same velocity he was throwing at in April. When it's hitting 91-92, it's clearly mechanical. It's blatantly obvious when watching.  The stuff is clearly good, just not as electric as last year.

Edited by fathom

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

It's the same velocity he was throwing at in April. When it's hitting 91-92, it's clearly mechanical. It's blatantly obvious when watching.  The stuff is clearly good, just not as electric as last year.

I hope he doesn't have the same gradual velocity loss as Giolito. This seems eerily similar. It was a gradual drop to where he is now with Giolito. When Gio came up with the Nats, he was topping out at 96, and it was all downhill from there. This is very concerning. He is also getting wild and walking everyone. It seems like Giolito all over again. That would royally suck. Cross your fingers that it doesn't happen to Cease too as he moves up the ladder. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I hope he doesn't have the same gradual velocity loss as Giolito. This seems eerily similar. It was a gradual drop to where he is now with Giolito. When Gio came up with the Nats, he was topping out at 96, and it was all downhill from there. This is very concerning. 

Not worried yet, as this seems to be a Sox thing trying to sacrifice velocity for command.  It's not like Kopech ever averaged 97-98 fastballs last year over the entire game. His fastball also has far more explosiveness than Giolito.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I hope he doesn't have the same gradual velocity loss as Giolito. This seems eerily similar. It was a gradual drop to where he is now with Giolito. When Gio came up with the Nats, he was topping out at 96, and it was all downhill from there. This is very concerning. He is also getting wild and walking everyone. It seems like Giolito all over again. That would royally suck. Cross your fingers that it doesn't happen to Cease too as he moves up the ladder. 

lol...this isn’t like Giolito at all.  It’s probably a mix of a slow gun & Kopech sacrificing a bit of velocity for command and fathom (who I respect) is taking the negative viewpoint as usual.  I’ve seen a couple times this year and he was consistently in the upper 90’s.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Not worried yet, as this seems to be a Sox thing trying to sacrifice velocity for command.  It's not like Kopech ever averaged 97-98 fastballs last year over the entire game. His --fastball also has far more explosiveness than Giolito.

That is what we all thought with Giolito too. I think it is probably a mechanical(physical) issue with both of them. I know it is with Giolito because when he stays closed he hits 93-95 but he rarely stays closed and flies open a lot. Flying open also leads to arm injuries, so they have to be careful with the both of them that they don't hurt themselves. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

lol...this isn’t like Giolito at all.  It’s probably a mix of a slow gun & Kopech sacrificing a bit of velocity for command and fathom (who I respect) is taking the negative viewpoint as usual.  I’ve seen a couple times this year and he was consistently in the upper 90’s.

On the tv gun, he hit 97 once. 95-96 with every other fastball in the zone. Every fastball up and out of the zone was 91-92.  Again, it could be the Charlotte gun is 2-3 mph off.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That is what we all thought with Giolito too. I think it is probably a mechanical(physical) issue with both of them. I know it is with Giolito because when he stays closed he hits 93-95 but he rarely stays closed and flies open a lot. Flying open also leads to arm injuries, so they have to be careful with the both of them that they don't hurt themselves. 

They have such different fastballs, it's not even worth worrying about for you. Kopech had more swings and misses on it tonight than I saw Giolito have all year.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

On the tv gun, he hit 97 once. 95-96 with every other fastball in the zone. Every fastball up and out of the zone was 91-92.  Again, it could be the Charlotte gun is 2-3 mph off.

I’m almost positive it’s 2-3 MPH slow.  This was reported somewhere last year with Giolito I believe and perhaps on one of the telecasts I watched this year.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m almost positive it’s 2-3 MPH slow.  This was reported somewhere last year with Giolito I believe and perhaps on one of the telecasts I watched this year.

Doesn't this feel like deja vu from last year

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Did you expect him to be 99-100 consistently as a starter?

No. Was expecting 95-98 sitting 96-97, with a few pops at 99-100 when he needs it. I'm not an idiot lol. I don't doubt he could approach Chapman levels out of the bullpen though. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No. Was expecting 95-98 sitting 96-97, with a few pops at 99-100 when he needs it. I'm not an idiot lol. I don't doubt he could approach Chapman levels out of the bullpen though. 

If the gun was slow, then that's exactly what he was at.  I know I've said this a lot, but once he figures out how to elevate the ball with 2 strikes without losing velocity, his strike out rate is going to skyrocket again.

• bmags unpinned this topic