KW on Jimenez/Kopech

Jose Abreu

16 minutes ago, Scoots said:

I understand that. That's basically what everyone else is saying just in a different way. And I agree. Call him up this week or don't at all. Kind of aggravated they called up LaMarre and he's playing LEFT FIELD tonight. But... It seems like if he is called up in, idk, 3 weeks, everyone is going to be angry and beside themselves. Even if I wouldn't necessarily agree with it, I would wholeheartedly enjoy the short moments I get to see him play in Chicago this year.

Jimenez is out again tonight with the flu, so hopefully it’s just bad timing.  If he’a not up by the weekend, then wait until next year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Jimenez is out again tonight with the flu, so hopefully it’s just bad timing.  If he’a not up by the weekend, then wait until next year.

That's kind of what I'm thinking will happen. Getz said very soon... Sometimes I wish these people would say nothing at all.

10 minutes ago, Scoots said:

That's kind of what I'm thinking will happen. Getz said very soon... Sometimes I wish these people would say nothing at all.

His exact quote was, "We would just want to make sure he’s as well-rounded as possible, whether that be base running, defensively, obviously offensively...and we’re getting very close."

That's not as definitive as saying, "he will be called up very soon", like some people are claiming.

Not trying to call you out with this post. Just trying to point out that quotes get twisted and taken out of context a lot.

• Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If they are going to call them up this season it should be before they play another minor league game. To call them up in September is trading one month of meaningless games for an extra season of control, Maybe, possibly, perhaps, no one will give a crap about the extra year of control 6years from now, but a month of meaningless games is a cheap price to pay for insurance in case they might.

I've been a proponent of bringing up Eloy (Kopech I am indifferent on and probably lean towards holding him back for the extra year of controls) but fully agree with your statement. If you are going to do it with Eloy...you do it now...not 2 weeks from now (they should have done it 2 weeks ago to be honest or at least right after the deadline). The longer we go, the worse the idea of losing a year of control becomes (for what grows to be much more inconsequential development time).  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Scoots said:

If the Sox do not intend to call them up, than it was a big PR gaffe for Getz to say anything at all.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

If the Sox do not intend to call them up, than it was a big PR gaffe for Getz to say anything at all.  

What Getz said was consistent with what Hahn said during the off-season when asked the timetable of when players would be called up this season - “the players have a way of dictating that timetable”.  So if they call Eloy and/or Kopech in the next week or so, it would be consistent with that sentiment, given both players’ production to date at AAA.

Edited by Fan O'Faust

Do these guys need to be added to the 40-man this off-season? That's also a difference between these guys and Giolito, Moncada, and Lopez. Those guys were already on the 40 since they were called up the previous season. Not putting those guys on the 40-man roster this year provides some flexibility in the off-season by allowing you to carry two extra guys.

Edit: if they're not up by this weekend, wait until next year.

Edited by soxfan2014

On 8/7/2018 at 7:17 PM, Dick Allen said:

If they are going to call them up this season it should be before they play another minor league game. To call them up in September is trading one month of meaningless games for an extra season of control, Maybe, possibly, perhaps, no one will give a crap about the extra year of control 6years from now, but a month of meaningless games is a cheap price to pay for insurance in case they might.

Eloy was on with Jason playing Mario Bros (taped) and he speaks pretty good Ingles. 

As much as it would be fun to see these kids up here in Chicago, this rebuild hasn't been a net positive in Year 2. F

Fulmer sucks; Giolito is not a top of the rotation starter, and likely not a starter on a good team, Moncada shows signs, but is batting .220 and strikes out at an alarming rate....Lopez has fallen off after a strong start.

Assuming  Rodon finishes the season healthy, they have a huge off-season decision to make on him. If the White Sox go into next season with the same team, add a few stop gaps and plan on calling up a few of these young talents in mid-April, they may be better, but it's probably still a 90 loss team.

It's probably fiscally sensible, yet frustrating, to not start the clock on any young players until needed. 

If the team isn't planning on spending this off-season (probably unlikely, but I wouldn't rule it out to kickstart this rebuild), next year will be the about seeing improvements from young talent.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Do not call them up at this point.  Would be an absolute waste.  And I say this as someone who wanted them both up in July.

Yup. If they were going to call them up, they should have done it at the latest a week or so ago. Now we're not getting the risk/reward ratio properly here. 

Whether the Sox call him up or not, Kopech and Eloy are both ready to go. In his last 6 games Kopech has walked FOUR total batters. His control, which was his only drawback, appears to no longer be a problem. Which is completely remarkable to me. 

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They’re totally going to call them up in September, which is the absolute nightmare scenario.

Why?  I think we have to forget about control.  It’s not our problem to worry about.  

The Sox FO knows all about the issue.  If they sept callup these guys then that’s their move.  A gesture of respect is not a bad move.  

As a fan, I’ll be excited to watch.  

6 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Why?  I think we have to forget about control.  It’s not our problem to worry about.  

The Sox FO knows all about the issue.  If they sept callup these guys then that’s their move.  A gesture of respect is not a bad move.  

As a fan, I’ll be excited to watch.  

If the Sox were going to call Eloy up this season there's no reason it shouldn't have been done already. Dude had earned it by mid July.

Kopech, I can make September make sense. He didn't really earn his callup until his last few starts, and keeping him in a groove and letting him build his innings and arm up for a 6 month season all seem reasonable to me. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2018 at 10:27 PM, spiderman said:

As much as it would be fun to see these kids up here in Chicago, this rebuild hasn't been a net positive in Year 2. F

Fulmer sucks; Giolito is not a top of the rotation starter, and likely not a starter on a good team, Moncada shows signs, but is batting .220 and strikes out at an alarming rate....Lopez has fallen off after a strong start.

Assuming  Rodon finishes the season healthy, they have a huge off-season decision to make on him. If the White Sox go into next season with the same team, add a few stop gaps and plan on calling up a few of these young talents in mid-April, they may be better, but it's probably still a 90 loss team.

It's probably fiscally sensible, yet frustrating, to not start the clock on any young players until needed. 

If the team isn't planning on spending this off-season (probably unlikely, but I wouldn't rule it out to kickstart this rebuild), next year will be the about seeing improvements from young talent.

The rebuild has absolutely been a net positive in Year 2, you just have to look in the minors to see it. There are so many guys on the farm who have had great seasons, some expected, some unexpected. Eloy Jimenez looks poised to be a cornerstone franchise hitter, while Carlos Rodon and Michael Kopech look to be the makings of a formidable 1-2 rotation punch. Meanwhile, guys like Luis Gonzalez, Jimmy Lambert, Bernardo Flores, Bryce Bush, and several others have come out of nowhere to establish themselves as legitimate prospects, and other guys like Spencer Adams, Jordan Stephens, Jordan Guerrero, Alex Call, and others have continued to chug right along and show that they probably have futures as useful MLB players, and a few players like Dylan Cease and Dane Dunning (before he got hurt) have stepped up their game and went from high potential to a realistic expectation of meeting that potential.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

CBS Sports seems to think the Jays are absolutely doing the right thing keeping Guerrero down (with no mention of Eloy):

Not for Guerrero, however. The game's top prospect will remain in Triple-A and, with each passing week, it seems less and less likely the Blue Jays will call him up this year. And hey, we are talking about the 19-year-old kid who missed a month with a knee injury and has about two weeks worth of Triple-A experience. Keeping him down is not the craziest thing in the world.

That said, manipulating Guerrero's service time to gain an extra year of control may be too good to for the Blue Jays to pass up. Keeping Vlad Jr. down the rest of this year and the first three weeks of next year equals gaining his age 26 season in 2025. That's far away! But it's smart business. That's a potential peak year, and for Guerrero, a peak year could equal an MVP candidate.

If this is indeed the case and the Blue Jays are keeping Guerrero down to delay his free agency, the team is not doing anything wrong. Clubs game service time all the time. Every year, without fail. The Yankees did it with Gleyber Torres this year. The Cubs did it with Kris Bryant a few years ago. That's baseball these days. Teams manipulate service time to get that extra year from their top young players.

It's a bummer, of course. The best and most talented young players should be in the big leagues, in my opinion. Instead, they're kept down strategically. Vlad Jr. will get the call soon enough -- the Blue Jays could still call him up before the end of the season -- and he'll rake, and everyone will love him. For now, the Blue Jays are starting their youth movement, only without their best young player.