KW on Jimenez/Kopech

Jose Abreu

The wild card right now with the Sox rebuild is Rodon....Nobody knows whether he'll be here for the Sox contending years or not. Most likely the answer is No. Just like those who wonder "Why does everyone want to trade Rodon?" I wonder "Why does everyone want to let Rodon go for nothing?" Rodon is more valuable to another team than the White Sox, because, if everything goes well, Rodon will be in his walk year when the Sox are ready to contend. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The wild card right now with the Sox rebuild is Rodon....Nobody knows whether he'll be here for the Sox contending years or not. Most likely the answer is No. Just like those who wonder "Why does everyone want to trade Rodon?" I wonder "Why does everyone want to let Rodon go for nothing?" Rodon is more valuable to another team than the White Sox, because, if everything goes well, Rodon will be in his walk year when the Sox are ready to contend. 

If Rodon turns into the guy we thought he could be when we drafted him, the rebuild timeline may actually be able to move forward.  If you have that kind of anchor and streakbreaker in your rotation, it makes everyone's job easier.  It allow the starting rotation to all slot back a space.  It allows the pen an almost extra day of rest, and it makes thing easier on both the defense and offense.

5 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

If the White Sox aren't contending until 2022 then the rebuild and any FA signings have gone very, very wrong.

Edited by Sockin

4 hours ago, Sockin said:

If the White Sox aren't contending until 2022 then the rebuild and any FA signings have gone very, very wrong.

They're probably not contending for sure until 2021 as is, so I don't know how you can say that. This wasn't going to be a short process, and the majority of the talent that the Sox have accumulated wont get here until late 2019-early 2020. The Sox probably won't be ready to rock and roll until 2021 as it stands. The Sox are a currently a 100 loss team, and that is with Rodon. If Moncada/Giolito or Lopez take a step forward next season and Eloy/Kopech come up full guns blazing that would probably only be enough to get them to  75-79  wins. 2020 is the best case scenario, with 2021 being the most likely. 2021 is Rodon's 3rd and final arbitration year. They'll be ready when his contract is up, but I don't know if they'll want to keep him around with his injury history. The bottom line is that he'd be a one year rental for a contending team, after that, they're probably getting the draft pick. If they want to hang on to him, they can be my guest, but I think the more prudent move is to trade him in 2019 for a haul, and use some of the players acquired to in a trade for a pitcher of similar stature under contract from 2021-2024 during the height of the window. The other rabbit hole is that they might not play in 2022. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They're probably not contending for sure until 2021 as is, so I don't know how you can say that. This wasn't going to be a short process, and the majority of the talent that the Sox have accumulated wont get here until late 2019-early 2020. The Sox probably won't be ready to rock and roll until 2021 as it stands. The Sox are a currently a 100 loss team, and that is with Rodon. If Moncada/Giolito or Lopez take a step forward next season and Eloy/Kopech come up full guns blazing that would probably only be enough to get them to  75-79  wins. 2020 is the best case scenario, with 2021 being the most likely. 2021 is Rodon's 3rd and final arbitration year. They'll be ready when his contract is up, but I don't know if they'll want to keep him around with his injury history. The bottom line is that he'd be a one year rental for a contending team, after that, they're probably getting the draft pick. If they want to hang on to him, they can be my guest, but I think the more prudent move is to trade him in 2019 for a haul, and use some of the players acquired to in a trade for a pitcher of similar stature under contract from 2021-2024 during the height of the window. The other rabbit hole is that they might not play in 2022. 

I agree with most of this but you're also assuming here that they're not going to be making any type of FA signing or trades to fill in any spots.

11 minutes ago, Sockin said:

I agree with most of this but you're also assuming here that they're not going to be making any type of FA signing or trades to fill in any spots.

There will be plenty of talent here by 2020 to hopefully be competitive with the right trades & free agent additions.  The front office is NOT going to burn years of control of Moncada, Jimenez, Anderson, Rodon, Kopech, Giolito, Lopez, etc. while they wait for the guys in High A to hit the majors.  There will be some sort of balance.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There will be plenty of talent here by 2020 to hopefully be competitive with the right trades & free agent additions.  The front office is NOT going to burn years of control of Moncada, Jimenez, Anderson, Rodon, Kopech, Giolito, Lopez, etc. while they wait for the guys in High A to hit the majors.  There will be some sort of balance.

If that is the case, they might be players on short-term contracts in FA this coming offseason.