Which of the current mlb players are significant pieces of the next good team?

Dominikk85

Right now, the answer is zero. Talk to me on 7/15/2019 and that may change.  This is really fluid for Giolito/Moncada/Lopez. They haven't shown enough at this time to be considered part of that group. By the ASB in 2019, hopefully a couple of these players have taken a step forward. I'm about ready to write of Anderson. He is what he is. Nothing more than a utility player at this point. We've had 2.5 seasons to see what he has now. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Right now, the answer is zero. Talk to me on 7/15/2019 and that may change.  This is really fluid for Giolito/Moncada/Lopez. They haven't shown enough at this time to be considered part of that group. By the ASB in 2019, hopefully a couple of these players have taken a step forward. I'm about ready to write of Anderson. He is what he is. Nothing more than a utility player at this point. We've had 2.5 seasons to see what he has now. 

A guy who can hit for power and steal a bunch of bases is definitely my definition of utility player. I mean, why wouldn't you be writing off a 20 HR/25 SB guy? I know that personally, I can't count on those guys.

14 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

A guy who can hit for power and steal a bunch of bases is definitely my definition of utility player. I mean, why wouldn't you be writing off a 20 HR/25 SB guy? I know that personally, I can't count on those guys.

Anderson is the least of the Sox concerns.  Could be be better and improve?  Hell ya.  But he's not a utility player.  If Anderson is what he is, the Sox will do just fine with him at SS and batting 9th for the rest of his contract.  Obviously it'd be great to see him develop a bit more in all aspects, but if he doesn't, he's still a very useful player on a winning team.  

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Anderson is the least of the Sox concerns.  Could be be better and improve?  Hell ya.  But he's not a utility player.  If Anderson is what he is, the Sox will do just fine with him at SS and batting 9th for the rest of his contract.  Obviously it'd be great to see him develop a bit more in all aspects, but if he doesn't, he's still a very useful player on a winning team.  

Which means that we need to come up with 8 players better than him. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Which means that we need to come up with 8 players better than him. 

Completely ignoring free agency to fill in any gaps and whoever our 2019 draft pick is, a 2021 lineup like the below seems reasonable: 

2B: Madrigal

3B: Moncada

CF: Robert

LF: Eloy

Catcher: Collins

1B: Burger/Sheets

RF: Best of Rutherford/Adolfo/Basabe/Gonzalez/Walker

DH: Best of Rutherford/Adolfo/Basabe/Gonzalez/Burger/Sheets/Walker

SS: Anderson

Edited by ChiSox59

21 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Completely ignoring free agency to fill in any gaps and whoever our 2019 draft pick is, a 2021 lineup like the below seems reasonable: 

2B: Madrigal

3B: Moncada

CF: Robert

LF: Eloy

Catcher: Collins

1B: Burger/Sheets

RF: Best of Rutherford/Adolfo/Basabe/Gonzalez/Walker

DH: Best of Rutherford/Adolfo/Basabe/Gonzalez/Burger/Sheets/Walker

SS: Anderson

Moncada at third sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. The Sox need to go hard after Machado and Arenado. 

Collins isn't going to stick behind the plate. His defense is terrible and not improving. Puff quotes from Nick Hostletter don't count. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Moncada at third sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. The Sox need to go hard after Machado and Arenado. 

Collins isn't going to stick behind the plate. His defense is terrible and not improving. Puff quotes from Nick Hostletter don't count. 

Collins may not stick behind the plate, but I think the Sox will certainly give him the opportunity.  I sure as shit am glad you're not in charge so we don't trade Cease, Madrigal and Hansen for 2 years of Realmuto (or Realmeto as you say).

I think we all want the Sox to go after Machado and/or Arenado, but I think that is pretty tough to assume when projecting lineups. And I don't see why Moncada at third base is a "disaster waiting to happen".  But not surprised to see you have a negative take on it. 

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

He doesn't get on base enough to be an everyday player. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He doesn't get on base enough to be an everyday player. 

If you’re evaluating a player based on one metric, you’re doing it wrong.  He can most certainly be an everyday player with his mix of speed, power, & base-running.  And his BABIP is well below his major & minor league averages, so his BA & OBP should hopefully improve long-term.  I see Tim as a league average hitter who can play above average defense & provide base running value.  That’s a 3+ WAR player IMO.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you’re evaluating a player based on one metric, you’re doing it wrong.  He can most certainly be an everyday player with his mix of speed, power, & base-running.  And his BABIP is well below his major & minor league averages, so his BA & OBP should hopefully improve long-term.  I see Tim as a league average hitter who can play above average defense & provide base running value.  That’s a 3+ WAR player IMO.

When I looked earlier, he was at 1.6 fWAR about 2/3 of the way through the season, putting him at just under 2.5 for the season if he kept up at just this pace.  There is nothing wrong with that number at this stage of his career, especially if a nagging injury is slowing him.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don't like starting guys who get on base at less than a .300-.310 clip. This is just one man's opinion, but the amount of outs he makes saps a lot of his value in other areas away. Doesn't mean he can't be a super sub or something like that, playing SS/2B/OF. But in my book, he's best used as a super sub playing roughly 100-120 games. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't like starting guys who get on base at less than a .300-.310 clip. This is just one man's opinion, but the amount of outs he makes saps a lot of his value in other areas away. Doesn't mean he can't be a super sub or something like that, playing SS/2B/OF. But in my book, he's best used as a super sub playing roughly 100-120 games. 

Juan Uribe's OBP in 2005 was .301

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

When I looked earlier, he was at 1.6 fWAR about 2/3 of the way through the season, putting him at just under 2.5 for the season if he kept up at just this pace.  There is nothing wrong with that number at this stage of his career, especially if a nagging injury is slowing him.

He's now at 1.5 after 114 games, putting him on pace for 2.1 - and you'll note that's going the wrong way.

• Thanks 1