8/13 Games

BamaDoc

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Great to hear Burdi talking about feeling good and seeing him progressing.  Next year should be fun/very interesting with Eloy , Kopech and Burdi  all with the Sox by May if  everything goes just right. We/I kind of forget Burdi was already near ML ready before he got hurt.

27 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Willie Mays Hayes. Runs like Hayes, plays like Mays.

I know I was being crazy with my comparisons but hell dream big if you are going to dream at all. The kid has tremendous speed and power. He has elite bat speed. He is a great defender and base stealer.Between all the time he lost waiting to come here and the injuries he lost a lot of development time. I think he'd already be tearing up AA if he hadn't.

If he can manage to stay healthy for a full season we will get to see someone who will spark our imaginations and when paired with Eloy could reach great heights with the Sox.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I know I was being crazy with my comparisons but hell dream big if you are going to dream at all. The kid has tremendous speed and power. He has elite bat speed. He is a great defender and base stealer.Between all the time he lost waiting to come here and the injuries he lost a lot of development time. I think he'd already be tearing up AA if he hadn't.

If he can manage to stay healthy for a full season we will get to see someone who will spark our imaginations and when paired with Eloy could reach great heights with the Sox.

I didn't mean it sarcastically. I'm agreeing. We haven't seen enough of him to know where the ceiling is yet. With his skill set on offense and defense he COULD be the best of the bunch of outfielders.  

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's called ceiling for a reason. If it makes you happy I'll throw Clemente in there.

As an absolute ceiling you are right, those are the only "best case" comps for Robert, as he is a speedy CF with very few flaws if everything works out. I don't understand why people have been down on his hit tool lately on the board 

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

I didn't mean it sarcastically. I'm agreeing. We haven't seen enough of him to know where the ceiling is yet. With his skill set on offense and defense he COULD be the best of the bunch of outfielders.  

I was fine with what you said as it was more about a movie character than anything else.

I'm just reminding people of how really good he is. Before he even signed with the Sox he was called "the best player on the planet, and that's no exaggeration."  by a scout.

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I was fine with what you said as it was more about a movie character than anything else.

I'm just reminding people of how really good he is. Before he even signed with the Sox he was called "the best player on the planet, and that's no exaggeration."  by a scout.

And while that probably is an exaggeration, based on just pure tools I don't see many ways Robert doesn't make a good starting CF if he's healthy. It's just a question of how good- starter, all-star, or MVP type? He has the highest ceiling of any prospect in baseball aside from Vlad Jr.

Edited by Jose Abreu

56 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

And while that probably is an exaggeration, based on just pure tools I don't see many ways Robert doesn't make a good starting CF if he's healthy. It's just a question of how good- starter, all-star, or MVP type? He has the highest ceiling of any prospect in baseball aside from Vlad Jr.

The real question is, can he defend like Adam Engel????? If not I say he's a bust.

55 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

In very limited samples, him striking out at over 20% in the lower levels of the minors is a bit worrisome. Yeah, yeah, he's young, he'll develop, etc, but it's still a problem that needs to get under control.

2 hours ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Some crazy talk going on here in regards to Luis Robert. Comps to Trout and Mantle? The kid has over 100 at bats this year in the minors and hasn't hit a homer. Enough said right there. 

Hard to hit homers playing on one wrist, first of all, and secondly, nobody is saying that he's the next Trout or Mantle, but that his raw tools make his ceiling a virtually flawless player like those two. The odds of it happening are less than 1%.