Gamethread: White Sox @ Tigers

Kyyle23

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Off the plate, got to protect though. Just laughable how often it happens. He could definitely use a day off tomorrow.

You almost wish you could just shut him down right now and send him home for the rest of the season.  I know he needs more reps at the Major League level, but these at-bats seem to be hurting more than they’re helping at the moment.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fan O'Faust said:

You almost wish you could just shut him down right now and send him home for the rest of the season.  I know he needs more reps at the Major League level, but these at-bats seem to be hurting more than they’re helping at the moment.  

Screw that, if he's not making the adjustments, then let him get embarrassed/humbled.

And it’s not like Anderson, Yolmer, Davidson or Delmonico are lighting the world on fire, either...we have a ton of 675-700ish hitters on the roster right now.  

Pretty appropriate for Sox now...”greatest market inefficiency is actually being able to win games,” talking about A’s and Mariners (to a lesser extent.)

“After three seasons of last place in the AL West, of 94, 93 and 87 losses, it was time for other ideas. Time to be smarter and braver again. Starting with the lowest payroll in baseball and the new – and still rising – World Series champion in their own division, Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations Billy Beane and GM David Forst would require another way to ambush the league. “I feel your pain,” Beane had told A’s fans this winter, adding, “I’m running out of time myself. So, I’m with you.”

And maybe this was intentional and maybe it’s a matter of dumb timing, but this year’s market inefficiency, its most undervalued asset, its best bargain, and that which the A’s have become exceptional at, is … winning baseball games.

Look around. Not everybody is in. Not everybody is playing to win. There is, instead, a separate race to terrible, those franchises playing as though the first to terrible will then be the first to trampoline from terrible. The alibi created by championships in Kansas City, Chicago and Houston had become a windstorm, carrying as many as 10 teams – a third of the league – with it.

So, hell, why not try to win? It was just crazy enough to work. You don’t even have to be great. (Great can be expensive.) You just have to, you know, try.

Not that the A’s weren’t trying before. They were, in their own way. But finishing in last place year after year after year does tend to start looking like not trying, whether it’s meant to or not. And now, in 2018, holding your own against good teams and bazooka-ing bad teams is a more than reasonable way to contending, to bringing that old ballpark to life again.”

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And it’s not like Anderson, Yolmer, Davidson or Delmonico are lighting the world on fire, either...we have a ton of 675-700ish hitters on the roster right now.  

The biggest disappointment this season has to be that the only player on the roster that you could guarantee would be a starting player come 2020 or 2021 is Rodon.  The first wave of Giolito/Lopez/Moncada/Anderson haven't jumped up and done enough to feel confident in them.  Hopefully Eloy and Kopech do next season.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

The biggest disappointment this season has to be that the only player on the roster that you could guarantee would be a starting player come 2020 or 2021 is Rodon.  The first wave of Giolito/Lopez/Moncada/Anderson haven't jumped up and done enough to feel confident in them.  Hopefully Eloy and Kopech do next season.

That’s not even counting Fulmer coming off of his “feel good” ending to last season.