Expanded September Roster - Who Gets the Call?

ChiSox59

Hard to believe, but September 1st is only 2.5 weeks away.  Who do you think gets the call for the final month when rosters expand?  

Here are my guesses: (*denotes on 40 man)

Aaron Bummer*

Carson Fulmer*

Jordan Stephens

Seby Zavala

Jose Rondon*

Ryan Cordell*

Charlie Tilson*

Nate Jones (if healthy enough)*

Leury Garcia (if/when healthy)*

Other potential options:

Eloy Jimenez*

Michael Kopech

Ian Hamilton

Jose Ruiz

Dustin Garneau*

Spencer Adams

Ryan Burr

Caleb Frare

Jordan Guerrero

Matt Skole*

Jake Elmore

Eddy Alvarez

Gregory Infante

Alex Call

Tito Polo

Edited by ChiSox59

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

How common is it to have 4 catchers in September? I don't see any playing time for Seby unless we DFA Smith or something. 

My guess is we see Seby instead of Garneau.  DFA Garneau.  

But probably more likely the other way around.  Just don't really see hte point with Garneau.  He is already 31 and is never going to climb in front of Narvaez or Smith. 

Wellington Castillo still has to make it in at some point, which probably means no Seby.

Bummer, Fulmer, and Rondon are for sures in my mind.  Tilson would make sense.

I am not as certain about guys who aren't currently on the 40 man roster.  I would love to see Hamilton, Eloy and Kopech up here ASAP, but with them not being here already, it is probably going to be the middle of next April until we start to see those guys.

2 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Worst rule in sports...

Separate topic, but it does suck. The term “September Callup” should end forever. The Rule 5 draft should go away- or at least having to keep them on your roster all year. The next CBA should get more creative on how you use your roster on a daily basis, from Day 1 to Day 186.

Unfortunately I think Jiménez & Kopech will be up once Charlotte’s season ends. If the Sox were smart, they’d only call up a handful of guys (Bummer, Robson, Tilson, etc.) and claim they want to use September to evaluate certain players already on the 25 man roster.  They’ll have to be creative to avoid calling up Eloy & Michael when rosters expand.

Maybe I’m being optimistic because I don’t want Jimenez and Kopech up this year, but if they were coming up at all, I think they’d be here already. They would be justified in dumping Covey from the rotation and LaMarre from the roster. Since they haven’t done it, I think they’re waiting for April 12th (or whenever), which is a sound decision at this point.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Unfortunately I think Jiménez & Kopech will be up once Charlotte’s season ends. If the Sox were smart, they’d only call up a handful of guys (Bummer, Robson, Tilson, etc.) and claim they want to use September to evaluate certain players already on the 25 man roster.  They’ll have to be creative to avoid calling up Eloy & Michael when rosters expand.

I will lose so much faith in this FO if Eloy and Kopech are called up in September.  That would be straight WTF move.  I think they're smarter than that.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I will lose so much faith in this FO if Eloy and Kopech are called up in September.  That would be straight WTF move.  I think they're smarter than that.  

I really hope I’m wrong, but why in the world did Getz say they were close to being called up a few weeks back.   Just gave me a real bad vibe.  

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I really hope I’m wrong, but why in the world did Getz say they were close to being called up a few weeks back.   Just gave me a real bad vibe.  

For one, the quote has been taken out of context.  He didn't really say that.  Also, he and every other person in the org has probably been asked that question 1000 times.  At some point you answer it in a way that people can twist.  

It's beyond obvious that these guys aren't coming to Chicago this season.  If they do at this point, I will being to really doubt that Hahn and Co has any fucking idea what they're doing.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

My guess is we see Seby instead of Garneau.  DFA Garneau.  

But probably more likely the other way around.  Just don't really see hte point with Garneau.  He is already 31 and is never going to climb in front of Narvaez or Smith. 

If Zavala is called up they need Garneau to play at Charlotte.

Just now, ptatc said:

If Zavala is called up they need Garneau to play at Charlotte.

Charlotte's season ends Labor Day, no?  

I changed my mind on Zavala.  Forgot Castillo existed for a minute when making the post.  They won't carry 4 catchers. 

24 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Considering RH has said they are very close, it seems likely tbey will be in the MLB.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Considering RH has said they are very close, it seems likely tbey will be in the MLB.

I think you're in the minority here.  We've discussed at length, don't see any point in discussing it further.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think you're in the minority here.  We've discussed at length, don't see any point in discussing it further.  

Ive said multiple times that I would have called them up a month ago but now they are getting close to where it wouldn't be worth it.

My comment was based more on what their plans are by his comments not what I would do now.

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

I think Eloy mashing minor league pitching and Rick Hahn saying "he needs to check off more boxes" (or whatever it was) is a pretty good indication he isn't coming up. 

I hope you’re right.  Sucks we won’t see him for another 8 months, but simply not worth it at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

The Sox are at 40 now

Besides the 25 current—

DL- Abreu, Leury, Jones, Castillo...is Jones done for the year?

40-man (up this yr)- Fulmer, Bummer, Danish, Tilson, Skole, Garneau 

40-man (not up this yr)- Clarkin, Basabe, Adolfo, Jimenez, Cordell