Sox @ Tigers 8/14 6:10 PM CT WGN

Jose Abreu

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I must be nuts then, because I think Lopez has more potential than Giolito.

I honestly don't understand how anyone can think this. Lopez has nothing. I see nothing more than #5 or long relief for Lopez, I can see at least a #2 for Gio, did you see that pitch that was disgusting. That was an excellent job of tightrope walking by Giolito. More progress. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

What offspeed junque is Lopez supposed to use to get hitters off his fastball? He has nothing. His stuff absolutely won't play in the bullpen. It is starting or mopup for him. 

I don’t buy this theory at all.  He used to have a bomb-ass curveball and then dropped it for reasons unknown.  Either way, his fastball would play up in the pen and I think he can develop the slider enough to be a solid reliever worst case scenario.  To think he couldn’t fill a bullpen role of any capacity is quite frankly absurd.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t buy this theory at all.  He used to have a bomb-ass curveball and then dropped it for reasons unknown.  Either way, his fastball would play up in the pen and I think he can develop the slider enough to be a solid reliever worst case scenario.  To think he couldn’t fill a bullpen role of any capacity is quite frankly absurd.

Just watch how comfortable hitters are vs. Lopez. They're not scared of his stuff. Hitters are on everything. Lopez lacks an out pitch. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I honestly don't understand how anyone can think this. Lopez has nothing. I see nothing more than #5 or long relief for Lopez, I can see at least a #2 for Gio, did you see that pitch that was disgusting. That was an excellent job of tightrope walking by Giolito. More progress. 

Because I’ve seen Lopez when he has three pitches working and he can be dominant.

Also, how come you dwell on Lopez’s low spin rate when Giolito has basically the same low spin rate at a much lower velocity.  Maybe I’m misinterpreting the stat, but seems like you should be ripping Lucas more for that.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Just watch how comfortable hitters are vs. Lopez. They're not scared of his stuff. Hitters are on everything. Lopez lacks an out pitch. 

They can sit on his fastball because he uses it too much and is unable to command his secondary pitches well enough.  I agree he needs to develop his secondary pitches, which is again why I’m frustrated he gave up his curveball.

45 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because I’ve seen Lopez when he has three pitches working and he can be dominant.

Also, how come you dwell on Lopez’s low spin rate when Giolito has basically the same low spin rate at a much lower velocity.  Maybe I’m misinterpreting the stat, but seems like you should be ripping Lucas more for that.

I rip both of them for that. The difference is that Giolito  has been getting swings and misses on his fastball lately and Lopez really doesn't get swings and misses of any kind. It doesn't matter as much if it still fools hitters. I haven't seen Lopez have 3 pitches working once this season, and I've seen all of his starts except maybe one or two. Last year I would have thought both players had a chance to be TOR starters because Lopez actually had 3 pitches working. It seems though as all hitters needed was a scouting report on him and now they're on everything. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

56 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

They can sit on his fastball because he uses it too much and is unable to command his secondary pitches well enough.  I agree he needs to develop his secondary pitches, which is again why I’m frustrated he gave up his curveball.

As a closer, I think Lopez could hit 100.  If you go back and watch his first inning with the Sox when he was amped up, his fastball was electric.

7 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

We need a PTC thread, too :p.

Let's go Eloy-less White Sox for a loss but a good game from Gio, Moncada, Abreu, Avi! 

I apologize profusely. We had an emergency today and it plain slipped my mind