8/14 Games

flavum

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Both Rutherford and Sheets haven't homered in approximately 40 straight games.  That's incredible considering the extra small fence in RF at W-Salem.  Birmingham is going to be quite rough on them.

Ryan Sweeney comp still holding up reasonably well for Rutherford

38 minutes ago, fathom said:

Both Rutherford and Sheets haven't homered in approximately 40 straight games.  That's incredible considering the extra small fence in RF at W-Salem.  Birmingham is going to be quite rough on them.

I get the whole "his approach is great" thing, but how the hell does a dude that big not get more homeruns in that park? Is Sheets swinging on a downward plane?

Edited by Hot FiRe

9 minutes ago, Hot FiRe said:

I get the whole "his approach is great" thing, but how the hell does a dude that big not get more homeruns in that park? Is Sheets swinging on a downward plane?

Whenever I watch Sheets, it seems he isn't even trying to loft the ball. If it's a sinker, he just pounds it into the ground. To my eyes, his swing needs a total overhaul if he wants to stay a prospect the next few years.

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

Whenever I watch Sheets, it seems he isn't even trying to loft the ball. If it's a sinker, he just pounds it into the ground. To my eyes, his swing needs a total overhaul if he wants to stay a prospect the next few years.

Sheets was a total reach in the second round. Hosteller would definitely like a mulligan on his first two picks from 2017. 

4 hours ago, flavum said:

Madrigal single, run

Still hasn’t made an error as a 2B.

Not that that's a bad thing but it also tells me nothing. For all I know he could be the Derek Jeter of second basemen where he doesn't commit many errors, but also has no range and is therefore poor defensively, yet the media crowns him as a defensive prodigy due to the lack of errors. 

To be honest, every scouting report I've read says that Madrigal is good defensively, but none have gone into much detail or even mentioned his range. Has anyone read anything substantial about his defense? It would be nice to know if he has both range and is less likely to commit errors 

9 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Not that that's a bad thing but it also tells me nothing. For all I know he could be the Derek Jeter of second basemen where he doesn't commit many errors, but also has no range and is therefore poor defensively, yet the media crowns him as a defensive prodigy due to the lack of errors. 

To be honest, every scouting report I've read says that Madrigal is good defensively, but none have gone into much detail or even mentioned his range. Has anyone read anything substantial about his defense? It would be nice to know if he has both range and is less likely to commit errors 

Most reports during the draft said he was passable SS, gold glove caliber 2B. Haven't seen updates about the pro performance.

35 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Most reports during the draft said he was passable SS, gold glove caliber 2B. Haven't seen updates about the pro performance.

That's just so vague. Eric Hosmer and Yoenis Cespedes are recent gold glovers, and they're two of the worst defenders at their positions. It would be nice if reports could be more detailed rather than just having the sexy, grabby headline 

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

That's just so vague. Eric Hosmer and Yoenis Cespedes are recent gold glovers, and they're two of the worst defenders at their positions. It would be nice if reports could be more detailed rather than just having the sexy, grabby headline 

I'm sure that rating his skills as gold glove caliber in college didn't include how popular he would be in the MLB. I'm guessing the scouts were rating his skills.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

Sheets was a total reach in the second round. Hosteller would definitely like a mulligan on his first two picks from 2017. 

That’s ridiculous.  The last thing I care about with both of those guys are the homers. There both big guys and Rutherford is still a baby in terms of his age and strength. Last year at this time everybody was calling Rutherford a bust now he hitting 306. As long as the guy`s are making contact and hitting for a decent average and obp that’s all that counts IMO.  To call sheets a reach is nonsense. Thome  didn’t have any power early in his minor league career and look what happened. The play  of both of those guys is the least of my concerns and actually pretty damm pleased with both. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

From what I remember, his range is ok for SS, good for 2B, but he has super smooth actions, slick hands, and great instincts. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

In Class A Derek Jeter once committed a SAL league record 56 errors in 1 season.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

In Class A Derek Jeter once committed a SAL league record 56 errors in 1 season.

Haha, really? That's funny, I didn't know that. My point was more that he's revered as some defensive god at shortstop (MLB) but was in reality pretty awful due to his lack of range 

• bmags unpinned this topic

And everyone knows that error total only means so much, but so far he hasn’t botched a routine grounder, he hasn’t missed a feed from a shortstop on a dp, he hasn’t rushed a throw that cost a base. That’s a good sign for Madrigal’s defensive acumen.

13 hours ago, SoxSteve said:

That’s ridiculous.  The last thing I care about with both of those guys are the homers. There both big guys and Rutherford is still a baby in terms of his age and strength. Last year at this time everybody was calling Rutherford a bust now he hitting 306. As long as the guy`s are making contact and hitting for a decent average and obp that’s all that counts IMO.  To call sheets a reach is nonsense. Thome  didn’t have any power early in his minor league career and look what happened. The play  of both of those guys is the least of my concerns and actually pretty damm pleased with both. 

Consider the source.