Your first Album collection/First concert attended

Jack Parkman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, GoSox05 said:

My first concert was Paul McCartney at Milwaukee County Stadium.  It was the tour for his album Off the Ground. I was probably only like 12, but I remember it being a really good show.

First albums I bought were all the Beatles albums.

I was at that show. Of course I was working for the brewers organization at the time not 12. 😵

My first CD was either Backstreet Boys or Hanson.

My first concert was Lil Wayne and the Yung Money crew. I don't like Lil Wayne whatsoever, but I was convinced to go by a group of friends from work, and only agreed because Drake was an up-and-coming unknown artist I was following and he was a part of their crew. Well, of course Drake ended up breaking his leg and missed the concert. Have never seen Drake since.

On 8/20/2018 at 9:21 PM, Brian said:

I almost did it a couple of times but my parents caught me.

Even after I wouldn’t pay for the cassettes they sent without my permission, they sold me eight CDs for a $1.00 lol

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

My first album was also hysteria.   But my first album collection was NIN

My first "collection" was definitely Rush albums, which transitioned from tapes to CD's at some point. Don't ask me how or why I got into such an off the wall band, but I did.

1 minute ago, Y2HH said:

My first "collection" was definitely Rush albums, which transitioned from tapes to CD's at some point. Don't ask me how or why I got into such an off the wall band, but I did.

I don’t think it’s off the wall at all.  I think you are close to my age (late 30s-early 40s), Rush was definitely popular growing up.   I was pretty big into Boston when I was younger 

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don’t think it’s off the wall at all.  I think you are close to my age (late 30s-early 40s), Rush was definitely popular growing up.   I was pretty big into Boston when I was younger 

I was into Boston also -- and yes, I just turned 43. RUSH just isn't for a lot of people is all. Same with the Who, and quite a few others of that sort. My musical tastes are really all over the board, I'll listen to anything so long as I can connect with it somehow.

No clue how you guys remember the first album you bought. The earliest ones I can remember are from Jr High. Clapton Unplugged, Green Day Dookie, or Aerosmith Get A Grip.

I was a late bloomer for concerts and didn't go til my first when I was at SIU for Foo Fighters.

On 8/24/2018 at 8:59 AM, Brian said:

No clue how you guys remember the first album you bought. The earliest ones I can remember are from Jr High. Clapton Unplugged, Green Day Dookie, or Aerosmith Get A Grip.

I was a late bloomer for concerts and didn't go til my first when I was at SIU for Foo Fighters.

How did you like SIU? My son is a senior and that is one of the schools he is looking at.

3 hours ago, ptatc said:

How did you like SIU? My son is a senior and that is one of the schools he is looking at.

It was perfect for me but they’re struggling financially now so not sure what it’s like now. I graduated in 01.

First concert was Boston...but the warm up was why I went....Sammy Hagar. Was at the Assembly Hall in Chambana. Great seats...and Sammy played a ton of things from the old Montrose album. At one point he sat in the edge of the stage and the played Bad Motor Scooter. Was pretty badass!

I prefer small venues. Saw a ton of peeps in Champaign at Mables. REO... Head East....saw Johnny Van Zant Band there too before he too over the Skynyrd gig. He looks a ton like Ronnie. His first album was pretty decent.  Saw Henry Paul Band there too. He was a lead in The Outlaws....again his first album (Grey Ghost) I really liked. 

Dont remember my first album. Was either McCartney and Wings...or Ted Nugent. Was big into BTO too. 

And one of my favorite concerts back there around that time...was at the Chink Rink in Pekin.  Molly Hatchet and .38 Special. Molly Hatchet was one of my favorite bands I’ve ever seen live. They don’t miss a lick. Danny Joe Brown rocked. 

23 hours ago, Wanne said:

And one of my favorite concerts back there around that time...was at the Chink Rink in Pekin.  Molly Hatchet and .38 Special. Molly Hatchet was one of my favorite bands I’ve ever seen live. They don’t miss a lick. Danny Joe Brown rocked. 

They were one of the best bands to see live. Queen and Prince were right there as well.

On 8/25/2018 at 5:14 PM, Brian said:

It was perfect for me but they’re struggling financially now so not sure what it’s like now. I graduated in 01.

Yeah, unfortunately all of us state schools are struggling. He is looking at the flight school and with $80,000 in flight fees, I think that program has enough coin.

On 8/20/2018 at 7:25 PM, Soxbadger said:

First album was Guns N Roses Appetite For Destruction

First concert was Foo Fighters at Metro in 1994. 

Best performances Rolling Stones, Roger Waters. David Gilmour and Kanye West. In the last few years Ive probably been to 50+ shows (more if you count each act at a festival.)

I'm a bit envious that Kanye is in your best performances.  He's among my worst.  Dude stopped performing and talked for over 20 minutes about a bunch of nonsense and got boo'd.  He chanted "Fuck the press. Write what you want" for probably 3 minutes straight at one point.  Just over and over.  Half the venue was gone less than an hour into the set, including myself, because he wouldn't perform.  But I feel like that's so Kanye.  He just does whatever he wants.

Fortunately, this was at a music festival, so we just went to get good spots up front for a late night show.

Edited by dasox24

If there was one band you could go back in time and see LIVE in their prime, who would you choose?

I would go Guns N Roses or Nirvana. I was too young when GNR toured in their prime and those concerts looked insane from their videos and such.

5 hours ago, Brian said:

If there was one band you could go back in time and see LIVE in their prime, who would you choose?

I would go Guns N Roses or Nirvana. I was too young when GNR toured in their prime and those concerts looked insane from their videos and such.

The Clash.

9 hours ago, dasox24 said:

I'm a bit envious that Kanye is in your best performances.  He's among my worst.  Dude stopped performing and talked for over 20 minutes about a bunch of nonsense and got boo'd.  He chanted "Fuck the press. Write what you want" for probably 3 minutes straight at one point.  Just over and over.  Half the venue was gone less than an hour into the set, including myself, because he wouldn't perform.  But I feel like that's so Kanye.  He just does whatever he wants.

Fortunately, this was at a music festival, so we just went to get good spots up front for a late night show.

What festival? (Im guessing Bonnaroo?)

And Ive seen him 2x. The first was for Yeezus at United Center with Kendrick Lamar as the opener. Kanye was fantastic (he did rant but that is part of his show) and I always regret I didnt get better seats. The second time was his last tour (also United Center). I got much better seats, but he wasnt into the performance at all. It was right after Kim was robbed. He showed up an hour late, didnt rant and seemed out of it. So that show is pretty unmemorable.

So I can completely understand mixed reviews for his performances. 

6 hours ago, Brian said:

Ah man too many to pick.

But Ill go with my favorites, Pink Floyd. After them its probably Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix. Nirvana would be really good, but I just dont think I could pass up Pink Floyd at their peak for anything. 

6 hours ago, Brian said:

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/6wqgp4/youre-an-idiot-if-you-dont-think-rush-is-the-best-live-band-in-the-world

6 hours ago, Brian said:

It would have to be The Beatles, but back before the US tour days.  I would love to see them in a place like the Cavern Club back before 1963.  Would also love to see The Who perform the entirety of Tommy specifically.

7 hours ago, Brian said:

Led Zeppelin or Rage against the Machine