8/16 Games

soxfan49

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Well, agree, but get ready.  Kopech is Sale 2.0 in mind and body.  We can only hope Kopech never suffers a broken foot in spring training while..."helping a friend move" or something.

Like I said, I had hoped he was growing up because this year had been quiet, but I am disappointed.  LIterally the only guy who can slow Kopech down is Kopech.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yup, let’s all ignore another dominant start with great command all because a stupid HBP.

The reason for the HBP was stupid. He clearly hasn’t removed any doubt that his maturity is a major work in progress. We’re lucky they didn’t retaliate by drilling Jimenez. 

9 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I always picture Carlton Fisk yelling at Deon Sanders to run out a pop up, respect the game and play the game the way it's supposed to be played.

Loved Fisk for that.  I am old school and don't mind pitching inside at all.  In fact, I believe you have to to be effective.  I understand moving a guy off the plate and yea even intentionally hitting a guy.  However, you should hit him where Kopech did (ass by accounts) but I don't believe in 99mph.  90 mph , (for Kopech might be a change up LOL) is plenty and you actually have to throw it hard enough to control it.  Forever it has been part of the game up until the last 25 years or so.  If you homered, you expected/prepared to get buzzed the next time.  Some guys would buzz you twice so you knew the first wasn't a mistake.  Look at this quote in a story from Callum Hughson of Dusty Baker being warned about Bob Gibson by Hank Aaron

“(Hank Aaron told me) ‘Don’t dig in against Bob Gibson, he’ll knock you down. He’d knock down his own grandmother if she dared to challenge him. Don’t stare at him, don’t smile at him, don’t talk to him. He doesn’t like it. If you happen to hit a home run, don’t run too slow, don’t run too fast. If you happen to want to celebrate, get in the tunnel first. And if he hits you, don’t charge the mound, because he’s a Gold Glove boxer.’ I’m like, ‘Damn, what about my 17-game hitting streak?’ That was the night it ended.”
—Dusty Baker

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

The reason for the HBP was stupid. He clearly hasn’t removed any doubt that his maturity is a major work in progress. We’re lucky they didn’t retaliate by drilling Jimenez. 

Clemens was an immature hothead his entire career. If Kopech performs anywhere near Clemens’ level in MLB, he’s going to win a lot of games for the White Sox.

7 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

I’m sure the reason was stupid, but he’s also a 22 year old kid.  To expect him to mature overnight is ridiculous.  And what else has he done this season like this?

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m sure the reason was stupid, but he’s also a 22 year old kid.  To expect him to mature overnight is ridiculous.  And what else has he done this season like this?

It really isn’t about what else he’s done. It’s the fact that a guy laying down a bunt for a hit can piss Kopech off so much that he hits him the next time up on purpose. He would’ve been tossed in the majors. Who knows how many games he would’ve been suspended for just because some guy lays down a bunt for a hit. 

28 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Clemens was an immature hothead his entire career. If Kopech performs anywhere near Clemens’ level in MLB, he’s going to win a lot of games for the White Sox.

Don’t forget being a juicer. Too bad Clemens is his comp. I’d be happier if we could compare him to Scherzer.

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

I was going to ask the same thing. Sounds like his thought was legitimate and her response insinuated that she believes he was being a smartass then went on to blame the Bats’ manager. No idea.

She was acting as if I said Kopech did it on purpose (he totally did), when I never mentioned anything except that I hope Eloy doesn't become the target in retaliation. 

AAAAAAAAAAND, I WAS watching the game....on milb.tv, the same damn way she was.

15 minutes ago, DH in the NL said:

Don’t forget being a juicer. Too bad Clemens is his comp. I’d be happier if we could compare him to Scherzer.

Clemens was a Cy Young award winner at age 23 well before the juice when he looked like this:

http://www.espn.com/blog/sportscenter/post/_/id/47756/this-day-in-sports-roger-clemens-rocket-blasted-past-a-whole-bunch-of-mariners

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Until he gets a 10 game suspension for it, or one of our guys breaks a bone getting hit in retaliation.

That's the price to pay if you are going to do those kinds of things. Again, it's sports. it's all fun. At the end of the day, it's just a game.

If someone breaks a bone, he goes on worker's comp for 4-8 weeks and makes more money.

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Meanwhile, Hamilton continues to put up video game numbers out of the pen. Would love to see him get exposed to some high leverage situations out of the Sox pen over the last 6 weeks of the season. 

No reason he shouldn't be in the Majors right now. Service time for a reliever? Please, he's ready and he has been ready for weeks 

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Pitcher wins are useless in baseball. Tell me how hitters he strikes out for his career.

5 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

Loved Fisk for that.  I am old school and don't mind pitching inside at all.  In fact, I believe you have to to be effective.  I understand moving a guy off the plate and yea even intentionally hitting a guy.  However, you should hit him where Kopech did (ass by accounts) but I don't believe in 99mph.  90 mph , (for Kopech might be a change up LOL) is plenty and you actually have to throw it hard enough to control it.  Forever it has been part of the game up until the last 25 years or so.  If you homered, you expected/prepared to get buzzed the next time.  Some guys would buzz you twice so you knew the first wasn't a mistake.  Look at this quote in a story from Callum Hughson of Dusty Baker being warned about Bob Gibson by Hank Aaron

“(Hank Aaron told me) ‘Don’t dig in against Bob Gibson, he’ll knock you down. He’d knock down his own grandmother if she dared to challenge him. Don’t stare at him, don’t smile at him, don’t talk to him. He doesn’t like it. If you happen to hit a home run, don’t run too slow, don’t run too fast. If you happen to want to celebrate, get in the tunnel first. And if he hits you, don’t charge the mound, because he’s a Gold Glove boxer.’ I’m like, ‘Damn, what about my 17-game hitting streak?’ That was the night it ended.”
—Dusty Baker

Carlton Fisk couldn't play into today's game. Think about the reaction of someone yelling at another teams player about playing the game. Many people don't like when the manager benches his own player for the same thing. 

5 hours ago, ptatc said:

Pitcher wins are useless in baseball. Tell me how hitters he strikes out for his career.

I almost forgot how much of a workhouse Clemens was in his early Red Sox years in particular. Good god, he averaged something like 260 innings and 12 complete games during his first 7 full seasons with the Red Sox. Again, pre-juice he was a remarkable pitcher and a guy Red Sox fans loved having on their team despite his personality. FWIW, I expect kopech to be 10x more likeable than Clemens ever was.

1 hour ago, Jake said:

Absurd that Kopech hasn't been in MLB for the past few weeks.

One, service time. Two, they don’t want to lose that #3 draft pick. He could be the difference between the #3 pick and #5 pick. I think a case could be made either way on whether he should have been promoted by now.

• bmags unpinned this topic