Kopech called up

Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

There is but I don't think it is going to affect him. Per wikipedia: "...and also fewer than 45 days on the active rosters of major league clubs (excluding time on the disabled list or any time after rosters are expanded on September 1)."

Perfect. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Drwhoo1 said:

What does that even mean? Have we been keeping him down for so long? Tell me how long we’ve been keeping him down? That is a ridiculous statement. They weren’t going to keep him down more than this year so your saying 2 years is keeping them down forever. Wow! 

It means Kopech has been down in AAA for a full calendar year and has put up numbers that show he is ready for the big time. There is no need for him to be in the minors anymore. 

Do you still think he should be in Charlotte? If so, why? 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Except it’s total AAA innings...that’s very deceptive, because he came up very late at the end of last year.  And his ERA was well into the 4’s about six weeks ago.   If he gets lit up, there will be many who argue he was rushed to placate the fanbase.

In fact, some of the AAA/AA competition might be better than what the Twins, Royals and Tigers are sending out there right now.

Trust me, I would prefer to keep him down there until next season, but he’s probably been the best pitcher in the minors over his last seven or so starts.  There isn’t really argument to be made that he isn’t ready.

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Trust me, I would prefer to keep him down there until next season, but he’s probably been the best pitcher in the minors over his last seven or so starts.  There isn’t really argument to be made that he isn’t ready.

Yep and then have to come up with excuses for sending him back to Charlotte to start the 2019 season and then more excuses for calling him up mid-April. Plus he wasn't going to accumulate enough innings before Charlotte's season ended. After stepping back to look at the big picture this was the right move.

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Ready isn't the question. The only question is what is control worth versus moving the rebuild along. Could a hot finish make the Sox have some free agent buzz?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ready isn't the question. The only question is what is control worth versus moving the rebuild along. Could a hot finish make the Sox have some free agent buzz?

I do think calling up Kopech now means the Sox plan to be fairly active in free agency & makes it incredibly unlikely they consider moving Rodon.

• Love 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

An extra year of control is not worth losing out on a month + of experience that he needs.  If we are banking on having an extra year of control of both Eloy and Kopech to be good then we are doing something wrong.  Pay them.  That's all this crap about service time is.  

If they both are ready, and it appears like they are, then they both need to be in the majors to learn and get used to facing better players.  You can't learn against the best until you are allowed to play the best 

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I do think calling up Kopech now means the Sox plan to be fairly active in free agency & makes it incredibly unlikely they consider moving Rodon.

Having Rodon at the front of the rotation makes it incrementally easier for each starter down the line. Putting the extra pressure on Lopez to be the #1 already, or asking Kopech to do it from Day 1?  Unless the return is Sale or Q like, pass.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but if they were really going for that, wouldn't Eloy have been called up too? 

10 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but if they were really going for that, wouldn't Eloy have been called up too? 

I know it’s all opinion, but I would imagine the way Eloy has been torching every level of the minors,Sox are confident he can come up and be good from day 1. 

5 hours ago, BlackSox13 said:

After looking at his IP the last two seasons this makes more sense. Kopech pitched 134.1 last year and currently sits at 126.1 this year. He needs the September starts in Chicago to continue building up his innings this year.

I agree but maybe I am missing something. If they left him in Charlotte till the end of August and then called him up in September he would still get the same amount of innings. Actually he would probably get more innings by staying in Charlotte since he is overpowering in AAA so he most likely won't get knocked out early from a game. In Chicago he may get a Gialto/Lopez 2-3 inning start and get pulled. 

I think he was ready and the Sox want him to pitch against better competition and maybe they even feel some extra time w Coop. Hope he dazzles Boston at the end of the month. 

1 hour ago, Moncada said:

An extra year of control is not worth losing out on a month + of experience that he needs.  If we are banking on having an extra year of control of both Eloy and Kopech to be good then we are doing something wrong.  Pay them.  That's all this crap about service time is.  

If they both are ready, and it appears like they are, then they both need to be in the majors to learn and get used to facing better players.  You can't learn against the best until you are allowed to play the best 

Quoting it because I could only give it one trophy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Will a hot finish make the free agent budget larger? Cause that's all the "buzz " that matters

18 minutes ago, Scoots said:

I wonder if Cease will follow a similar path to the Majors next year as Kopech did this year, barring injury of course.

Could be but Kopech did end last year in AAA. He also had a full season of AA under his belt where Cease has 9 games. That said presumably he will start in AAA next year and if he keeps this up you cant do much about it.

1 hour ago, Scoots said:

I wonder if Cease will follow a similar path to the Majors next year as Kopech did this year, barring injury of course.

The plan with Cease is probably a nearly full season in AAA ball in 2019, with the potential for a late season callup. He has taken key developmental strides in 2018.