Kopech called up

Buehrle>Wood

2 hours ago, Scoots said:

I wonder if Cease will follow a similar path to the Majors next year as Kopech did this year, barring injury of course.

One big difference could be innings. Kopech pitched 136 last year, so you'd actually want him to keep going at the end of August this year to keep building his arm up past that number. Cease has thrown 119 this year, and only threw 93 last year, so he might get shut down a little earlier both this year and next. 

1 hour ago, steveno89 said:

The plan with Cease is probably a nearly full season in AAA ball in 2019, with the potential for a late season callup. He has taken key developmental strides in 2018. 

This year for Cease is what Kopech did in the last half of 2016 and the first half of 2017.  Cease is also at basically 120 IP on the season, which is already close to 30 IP over his previous season high.  Kopech has already built up to 134 IP last year, meaning 150 to 160 is about where he should be this year.  Cease is about to hit his limit this year.  If I had to guess, he opens 2019 at AA, with a promotion to AAA around the beginning of July, putting him on pace for Chicago in early to mid 2020.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is almost like people who wanted a rebuild so bad, weren't ready for a rebuild.

GMAB. Which is the correct way to rebuild - to go for service time or to bring people up when they're ready even if it costs a year? I don't think there's an obvious answer that must be the case, where "if you pick this answer clearly you weren't ready for a rebuild"?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

GMAB. Which is the correct way to rebuild - to go for service time or to bring people up when they're ready even if it costs a year? I don't think there's an obvious answer that must be the case, where "if you pick this answer clearly you weren't ready for a rebuild"?

If you weren't ready for hard times and debates about the service time and 40 man roster, you clearly haven't been paying attention to what a rebuild looks like in this form.

46 minutes ago, aryzner said:

I'm late to this thread but I just want to say I'm honestly baffled as to how some folks posting here are upset about this callup. If he's ready, he's ready. I am extremely excited.

It's ironic that some on this board detest Jerry Reinsdorf and everything he stands for, yet vehemently support him in service time debates.

When it comes down to it, all of this is about money. That extra year of control is one that can be purchased through free agency if you're the top bidder. While I understand the desire to maximize our window by guaranteeing that year, it's also funny to me that people who are so anti-Reinsdorf concurrently want him to essentially be cheap and save his money. 

23 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

It's ironic that some on this board detest Jerry Reinsdorf and everything he stands for, yet vehemently support him in service time debates.

When it comes down to it, all of this is about money. That extra year of control is one that can be purchased through free agency if you're the top bidder. While I understand the desire to maximize our window by guaranteeing that year, it's also funny to me that people who are so anti-Reinsdorf concurrently want him to essentially be cheap and save his money. 

To me its about being realistic and wanting to be better than the Royals window when their crop of stars all left at the same time.  IDGAF about JR's money, but realistically they're not going to be able to sign (hopefully) 5+ guys to massive deals so I want the longest window possible with cheap guys.

Under the current CBA its just smart business to get as much cheap labor as possible.  The players should fix that in the next CBA and stop selling out their young talent, but until then cheap labor is the key to winning.   

If they were going to call him up it should have just been a month+ ago, he's no more ready now than he was then, it's just stupid timing in my opinion.

31 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I don't think anyone really enjoys watching Jerry make money, in fact some are downright jealous and hateful about it.  But at the end of the day, you also have to recognize that this is a business, and these things do have real world implications, so being aware of what is going on is also a key indicator as to what the team will and will not be able to do in the near term.

8 minutes ago, jenksycat said:

To me its about being realistic and wanting to be better than the Royals window when their crop of stars all left at the same time.  IDGAF about JR's money, but realistically they're not going to be able to sign (hopefully) 5+ guys to massive deals so I want the longest window possible with cheap guys.

Under the current CBA its just smart business to get as much cheap labor as possible.  The players should fix that in the next CBA and stop selling out their young talent, but until then cheap labor is the key to winning.   

If they were going to call him up it should have just been a month+ ago, he's no more ready now than he was then, it's just stupid timing in my opinion.

I don’t think it’s stupid timing. I think the Sox want him (and Eloy) to get shots at ROY next year. 

6 minutes ago, jenksycat said:

Continue to disagree on this. A month ago, right after the all star break, was when things really clicked with him and he started this roll. For example - From June 1 up to the All Star break, he pitched 31 innings. In those 31 innings he had 31 walks, gave up 21 earned runs, had an ERA over 6 in that stretch. His last start before the all star break, he walked 4 in 3 innings, gave up 4 runs.

Since the All Star break, he has averaged 6.1 innings per start, pitched 44 innings, and walked 4. Read that again. His ERA in this stretch is 1.84. You could tell me he should have been called up a week ago, but not mid-July, this stretch is where he actually earned it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I don’t think it’s stupid timing. I think the Sox want him (and Eloy) to get shots at ROY next year. 

That would be the worst possible reason to make these decisions.  

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Continue to disagree on this. A month ago, right after the all star break, was when things really clicked with him and he started this roll. For example - From June 1 up to the All Star break, he pitched 31 innings. In those 31 innings he had 31 walks, gave up 21 earned runs, had an ERA over 6 in that stretch. His last start before the all star break, he walked 4 in 3 innings, gave up 4 runs.

Since the All Star break, he has averaged 6.1 innings per start, pitched 44 innings, and walked 4. Read that again. His ERA in this stretch is 1.84. You could tell me he should have been called up a week ago, but not mid-July, this stretch is where he actually earned it.

So all he needed was 4 good starts in AAA and he's now ready?  He couldn't have made those starts in the majors?

1 minute ago, jenksycat said:

That would be the worst possible reason to make these decisions.  

So all he needed was 4 good starts in AAA and he's now ready?  He couldn't have made those starts in the majors?

7 exceptional starts and yes, he should not have made those in the majors. You should not get called up based on reputation alone (Moncada), you should actually have to have a period of success at that level before it happens.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

7 exceptional starts and yes, he should not have made those in the majors. You should not get called up based on reputation alone (Moncada), you should actually have to have a period of success at that level before it happens.

Just bought tickets in the bleachers for tomorrow's game. Excited to see Kopech's debut live. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

What's ironic are those who say don't worry about service time, it's a ways off, yet complain the Sox don't spend like crazy on 15 and 16 year olds from other countries. 

The argument here is, this is a month and a half, where he mostly will be facing AAA line ups. We know they aren't doing anything this year, so why not roll the dice and have him wait? 

I do see some posts about innings. Does anyone really think Kopech is going to pitch 180 innings in 2019 at the major league level? He would have to make almost all of his starts, and average more innings per start than he ever has averaged.  IMO, his innings, if he was shut down at the end of the AAA season would have been plenty to push what he is more realistic in pitching next year. Whatever. It will be interesting seeing what he can do. I just hope this month and a half doesn't haunt them in the future. We have seen pitchers get this late season look, including a White Sox Cy Young award winner, and it doesn't translate into taking off the next year.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Funny. Could've said the same about Kopech. 

I think more than likely Covey goes to the pen.

I disagree withe the pitcher. He needs to build up the innings. I don't think the hitter  building up the at bats is as important